Universal WazHack (by Warwick Allison)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, May 7, 2013.

1. midian3x

midian3x Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Great game! Is there any way to weild a wand without searching through your inventory every time?

2. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    My first game I rubbed a lamp at 0 feet and a Genie pawned me! LOL, awesome.

Questions/observations:

(1) I got to 300 ft with a wiz or sorcerer, and only found 2 spell books, levitation and remove disease. I found this very weird. How am I a spell caster if I cant fight with spells?

(2) It seems that there are wandering monsters on cleared floors;

(3) I was able to remove -2 boots. How does this work?

(4) I started with a staff which can hold a spell, but no idea how to do that;

(5) What is the diff between Wiz and Sorcerer?

3. WazWaz

WazWaz Active Member

May 8, 2013
    Press the inventory button then the wand icon, that limits it just to wands. You can wield a wand, but it doesn't give any advantage - it's just there to trap your hand if the wand is cursed.

All your spellbooks of dish cleaning and floor sweeping are back at the academy. It's random what books you find - making the most of what you find is key. Levitation was so well used by 1.0 players it had to be nerfed twice. The ability to cure sickness makes far more food available which can be a game changer.

They come from... err... around the side. Just pushing you forward.

You were lucky. Usually blessed are + and cursed are -, but not always. That way there is always some value in Remove Curse, even for players that never try anything on as a gamble.

Plus that moment of hope before you try to take them off...

You'll need to know a spell first, then select the staff in your inventory. In general, few major things are hidden. I think spoilers... spoil... roguelikes, but some have so many in-jokes and tricks they are almost essential. There is plenty to learn in WazHack, but it's less the spoiler stuff and more tactics of how and when to use things (I'm no expert - the best players do far better than me!).

All classes vary only in their permitted stat range, permitted alignments, start equipment, start skills, and available talents. Basically they are 8 interesting start points and initial directions, but where you take them is up to you (and up to what loot you find).

The sorcerer starts with loads of potions (Snape with a beard?), he's the only character who's start is somewhat random - even just knowing so many potions from the start is very useful. Wizard's job is to use that wand sparingly until he is tough enough to fight without it. At least that's how I tend to play those two, but it's up to you. Read over their talents too - some people love Dweomery, whereas I prefer to use my pet and temples for that problem.

4. midian3x

midian3x Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Sorry - is there any way to zap a wand without searching through the inventory every time.

5. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Anyone have any opinions about the "best" character for a first playthrough, to explore the elements of the game without too much complexity?

6. WazWaz

WazWaz Active Member

May 8, 2013
    If you have a lot of wands it might still be a bit awkward, but the Zap Wand icon only shows your wands. No faster way. Some hoarders like to put excess gear into a bag to stay organized.

It's not really a play through game - you will get killed. The basic mechanics are most immediate with the White Witch since she starts with a readable spellbook, but there are many many things to experience in the game.

7. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    A couple of things I havent got a chance to test/figure out yet:

(1) ink, whats it do? Apply to weapon, or maybe scroll, or certain scrolls? Is there a blank scroll? That'd be my first guess...

(2) pet: does it detect all cursed items, or just some?

(3) can a dead pet be rezzed?

(4) gems with charges, how do you activate em?

(5) is there any point to trying really hard on spells with non-spell classes? Looks too hard, frustrating, dizzying

(6) traps, is there a way to jump over em once you see em?

8. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    I feel like its been a long time since I've played a good hardcore roguelike like this one. Cursed items, unidentified items, secrets, mmmm punish me!

9. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #69 ArtNJ, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    Are there secret doors?

I'm stuck. Not actually sure its worth looking for a secret door, since I have cursed levitation boots on! Dang puppy never growled at them!

BTW, Knight is MUCH easier, at least to get to 300 feet. Cake walk. Unless you put the cursed levitation boots on!

10. gabikun

gabikun Active Member

Jan 22, 2012
    #70 gabikun, May 9, 2013
    There is a wiki about this game, just google search. But... this is what I know:

1) There are blank scrolls. You can write in them if you have ink and feathers. The scroll you write must be identified first.

2) As long as I know, your pet won't always detect curses.

3) You can't, except if you give your pet some kind of amulet.... I think (never tried that, I saved them for me...). You can have other pets if the initial one dies. You only need one item... and luck :p.

4) I don't know much about this, sorry....

5) I started with a melee class, and obtained intelligence points by drinking specific blessed potions and from fountains (with luck)...

6) You can jump visible traps if you run and you press in the up part of the screen at the right moment. You need a lot of practice.

11. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    "Permanent death"?
    So if you get killed you have to start entire game again? o_O

12. That's a key part of what a roguelike is :)

13. tonyctitan

tonyctitan Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Cursed

Okay so I equipped a cursed ring of levitation. How do I get it off? I can't pick up anything because I can't reach te ground so am I screwed?

14. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    Some would argue it needs to be turnbased and so forth in order to qualify at being part of the roguelike genre as well as have random levels... so perhaps this is just a permadeath rpg thing. But I played the online version on the author's site and it amused me for a while! :)

15. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I like this a lot, but it doesnt let me buy the fighters upgrade . It says unknown error after typing my password, didnt read through so dunno if its a known issue. Im playing this on an ipad 2 on the last ios 5 version.

16. Had the same here. I got it to work by closing the app in the taskbar and trying again.

17. MeanTuna

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Tried this and didnt worked for me, im going to try installing it on the ipad 4 which runs on the latest ios and see if I can buy it there and recover it on my ipad 2.

18. MeanTuna

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    The in apps installed without problem on the ipad 4 but it still says unknwon error when trying to recover my purchases on the ipas 2, im guessing it has something to do with ios 5 which the ipad 2 is running.
    Im hoping this is something that can be fixed because I would rather have this on the ipad 2 which is dedicated to gaming.

Great game, it still needs a bit of polish but im having a blast playing it.

19. midian3x

midian3x Member

Apr 13, 2013
    #79 midian3x, May 9, 2013
    I must say, the graphics initially put me off.
    But, after one play with the warrior I was hooked.

This game is fantastic, my thanks (and dollars!) for your efforts.

20. elswitzer

elswitzer Member

Apr 9, 2009
    It is turn based and random soooo.... I don't get what you're trying to say?