Universal WazHack (by Warwick Allison)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, May 7, 2013.

1. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
  2. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Suggestions:

1. Your pet gets killed. Instead of the "you feel sad" message, every once in a while you get something different like "Auntie Em says Blackie is going to live on the farm now. He'll be happier there. Really" or "You wonder whether you should have gotten a cat." or "Maybe next time, get a Kobold. Although they arent much for cuddling."

2. Add a love potion. Only you dont necessarily pick the creature, its the next creature that sees you. How funny would it be to have a sewer rat in love with you? Eh, funnier than a charmed sewer rat anyway. Or you throw it on a monster, and it beats you to death while you stare into its eyes.

3. Mr.

Mr. Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Made to 800 feet for the first time!!

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #284 Vovin, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013

A rogue-like without permanent death and save games instead? Blasphemy! :D

That's also called "learning by dying". Things you should do and things you should avoid.
    Without consequences... what's left to learn from your experiences? People simply wouldn't care when dying.

5. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Most modern roguelike games have some kind of exploratory or experimental mode. Precisely to deal with this issue that you can play for a long time, die due to one random thing, then have to do the start of the game over to get back to that point, over and over again. Most of them are also on platforms that make it really easy to just copy your save file, e.g., if you want to experiment with something.

It's obviously not the only way to do it. But it's certainly not unusual or out of character.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Dang straight! :)

7. Mfox76

Mfox76 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Any tips on dealing with the Balrog as a knight? I've had two great runs with great eq where my knight was seemingly invincible tire through everything, made it to 2600 feet, but hit a Balrog and it ripped through me like paper machet, using every potion, wand etc I had all to no effect?

8. REkzkaRZ

REkzkaRZ Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    TV Production / AV Engineer
    SF Bay Area
    Its old skool rogue-like! It conveys a reality not portrayed in most games -- death means death!

Just get over it & join us elitists!!
    :)

9. Styrixa

Styrixa Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    PA, USA
    #289 Styrixa, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
    As it is, I'm still playing and loving it. I like perma death, but an explore or finish mode would be nice. I've come to grips with it though, and I think now I'm addicted to amulets of save-my-bacon. I'd love one that also combined with teleport-my-bacon-elsewhere, because death by Indiana Jones ride can happen twice in an instant, negating the ammy.

What is the deal with the dwarf forge and making mighty items? I can't seem to make sense of the math in the results. I know I read about it somewhere, but it just doesn't make sense. Does a + Stat ring just add the stat from the ring, or is it adjusted to match the + of the mighty armor? Is there a max +? I ran into +7 as a max, but I've found +8 boots before, so I don't know. How does it work for weapons? I don't normally like spoilers, but I really like understanding the mechanics of the decisions I'm trying to make. Having tried it a couple times now, I still can't figure out how it is working.

10. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Just couldn't get into his game and ended up deleting. For me the controls feel very awkward and clumsy.

11. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Hmm I thought its pretty simple, tap where you want to go, tap what you want to use or :eek: tap what you want to attack
    And the controls work perfectly

12. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    WazWaz, just thought I'd mention, the "quit" option after finishing a game that closes the app, while useful, is a no no for Apple. Even though it has passed review a couple of times now, you are in danger of having any future update rejected if they notice it.

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Future Idea:

Further distinguish each weapon class with some unique effects.

Clubs/Maces: Can sometimes stun an opponent.
    Polearms: Allow attack 2 spaces away.
    Swords/Daggers: Can sometimes cause bleeding.
    Axes: Can sometimes chop off an appendage.

14. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Nice ideas, I agree this would be cool.

15. Styrixa

Styrixa Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    PA, USA
    Range?

Has anyone had much success with ranged weapons? It seems enemies are able to close to quickly, and unlike with magic, arrows can't hit multiple enemies or bounce to hit the same enemy many times. Maybe arrows can do that and I've never seen it. I also don't like the click-work of picking arrows back up. Maybe if the game had auto-pickup of fired arrows when you walk by them, I might be more interested. I haven't paid to play a Hunter past 300 feet, so I'm curious to hear from people who have. What do you think?

16. pheriannath

pheriannath Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
    #296 pheriannath, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
    I haven't played a hunter for that long either, but I have used a bow to great effect as a sorcerer. I imagine they will be all the deadlier in the hands of a hunter.

The bow you use does matter. My main ranged weapon of choice has been the composite bow, and I melee quite effectively with it in a pinch if my skill in bows is decent. However I suspect the battle bow may be more effective in melee, and you may wish to use that considering that you may not always have a chance to engage at range (especially against super-fast monsters like wolves and werewolves).

Arrows have a chance of passing through enemies. More importantly, if you miss your target, your arrow still has an equivalent chance of hitting anyone else along its path. Plan your shots accordingly (arrows cannot bounce to hit, per the law of commonly understood physics).

Always use your most effective arrows. Don't skimp! So long as you can recover your arrows you're never in danger of running out, and winning/surviving your battle should always be your highest immediate priority.

I'd advise to always keep a bow and a few arrows in reserve (if ranged magic is beyond you, at least) even if you decide not to focus on bows as your main weapon. There are a number of enemies and situations where it is more beneficial to engage at range.

17. LousyHero

LousyHero Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Well I finally completed a game. Didnt actually have that good of a run, but lucked out with some boots of levitation, and finally some fire resistance way later than I would have liked.

Got lucky by finding some roman ludius place on my way down, and stocked up on a lot of iron arrows for my huntsman. I was definitely surprised with the amount of mobs coming back up with the amulet, that was intense.

Now I need to figure out wishing, and hopefully get some great armor and weapons on my next run. Levitation and fancy footwork was fun, but there were a lot of hairy situations and I felt pretty ill equpied for the lower dungeon.

Anyway just my long winded way of saying I love this game, and I can't wait to see what else waz has up his sleeve.

18. Aye-Beast

Aye-Beast Member

Dec 21, 2012
    So I just had probably my best run got past 1000 feet or so and from about 300 feet down I had a cursed amulet of strangulation on me. Turned into a gnome and leveled to level 8 before becoming a human again and him becoming level 8. Was seriously hoping for a fountain or a scroll of remove curse. In the end my death was due to starvation! Is there no way to satisfy hunger while being strangled lol? I really wished I had polymorphed into something that would have unequipped that awful thing.

19. deejayjaw

deejayjaw Member

May 14, 2013
    So I finally beat the game this weekend as a Valkyrie, and then as a white witch. I have to say that its satisfying, and intense. I think I might take a break now, since the other classes don't interest me much, but I'm definitely looking forward to updates!

I would say the keys to this game are: identification, resistances, and controlled teleportation. In each of the games I won, I was lucky in those things. Also encountering a lot of vendors is nice.

20. Myndflame

Myndflame Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Hmm... If only I could afford for the 300+ Dungeons. Ah well.

Also, my last game ended rather quickly. I picked up a scroll that summoned 8 mobs at once. Didn't even have anything. Only level 1 too. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL