Universal WazHack (by Warwick Allison)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, May 7, 2013.

1. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Quick question Waz: I was a neglectful owner and accidentally killed my dog with a wand of lightning. I tried to Take the body multiple times but I'm not able to put her remains into my inventory...bug?

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    The take command is for taking inventory that your pet is carrying. The only way to keep a part of your pet is if it leaves some meat when it dies. You can pick that up, eat it, etc. I always give up when my pet dies. I think that's really holding me back, but it just makes me too sad to go on :p

3. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    No worries, I have read about how it works so I recognise the benefit of same room /voice chat play. I know we both play in seperate instance but can pass items to one another to help beat the level. Sounds awesome to me.

I love this game so much. I have stopped playing anything else at all in favour of Wazhack !

4. WazWaz

WazWaz Active Member

May 8, 2013
    You see 'Take' and 'Feed', and you choose 'Take'? It's a man-eat-dog world :eek:!

5. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I bought the PC version, I'm torn on playing more on my PC or iPad. ;(

6. deejayjaw

deejayjaw Member

May 14, 2013
    #186 deejayjaw, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    What I do think would be neat would be the ability to save just one item upon death that you can use on the next playthrough. I don't think one item would be terribly overpowered, and it would give at least some sense of accomplishment other than a score. Even the legendary weapons wouldn't make it too unbalanced, since
    they require a certain amount of skill to use.

7. WazWaz

WazWaz Active Member

May 8, 2013

This is on my list, in a form. Nethack's bones files can be a lot of fun, but are way too unbalancing. I've yet to devise a form I'm completely happy with.

8. deejayjaw

deejayjaw Member

May 14, 2013
    Awesome, thanks!

9. deejayjaw

deejayjaw Member

May 14, 2013
    Not happy with how I just died. Was in gnome mines, and it was instant...I'll leave it at that.

An issue I'm having is when things die in a clump. It's fine with picking up items, because the list pops up, but when my pet is among the corpses, there's no way to open the pet screen to revive it if I have the means. Is this an issue, or intended?

Also, I asked this before but it was my first post so it was delayed and then probably overlooked. Is it random when a blessed scroll of identify identifies everything rather than just 2-4 items, or are there different levels of blessings?

Still mad about my death but will probably try again...

10. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    This, again, is why it seems problematic to me to not have any way to discover how the game works, except spend hours and hours descending to some depth, die, start over and do the hours and hours again, repeat.

Can't you use the pet button (on the lower left when you open the menu)? Does that stop working when your pet dies?

My annoyance in the game is mostly the opposite, I constantly find I'm opening my pet screen when I wanted to move.

It could depend on other things than just random. Who knows? But I'm confident there aren't "different levels of blessings".

11. pheriannath

pheriannath Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
    I believe deejayjaw may be trying to avoid spoilers here. The gnomish mines possess certain...features...that can be fatal if carelessly approached. Death is indeed a valid consequence of careless behavior, of course. 'Look before you leap' springs to mind. (That is, if I have guessed correctly the cause of his death)

And from experience I believe that blessed scrolls of identify indeed do have random effects. Sometimes you identify 4 items, sometimes everything.

12. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Of course. The problem isn't with the connection between not knowing how the game works yet (because you haven't encountered those features), and dying. That's how it should work. The problem is having to go back and spend another 10 hours doing all of the parts of the game you already played through, just to incorporate your new knowledge into play. Once, maybe. Five times? Twenty times? There's an inherent tension between having game elements that can only be discovered and understood by playing for many hours to get to that point, and having each of them send you back to start to do the whole thing over. There are a variety of clever ways of dealing with this problem (not limited to just one idea, which is some way to explore and experiment in "practice games" that "don't count" but give you a way to expand your knowledge).

13. LousyHero

LousyHero Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    So far having a really good run. I'm an invisible, levitating huntsman and its a pretty damn good combo.

I am a little confused on the invis mechanics, it seems like mobs can still see me just fine. Maybe I should try removing my armor or something. Anyone else still seem to get seen with invis?

14. WazWaz

WazWaz Active Member

May 8, 2013
    #194 WazWaz, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    If 'all the parts of the game you already played through' can be experienced in a single, or even five games, then I have failed to make a roguelike. Does the beginning of the game really feel the same every time for you? Then I need far more item variety (not monster variety, that would give you more to learn at each depth making your problem worse).

I don't believe that's the case. Personally, I find the initial game particularly fun, as it is where randomness has the most consequence: finding a +3 greatsword at 100ft is far more interesting than finding one at 1000ft.

Mostly they can hear you, plus of course once you attack they have a better idea of where you are. They still suffer a to-hit penalty regardless, as should be apparent from the combat text. Invisibility isn't quite the super-power it probably would be in real life, but it's a pretty strong advantage, as you've probably found. No need to remove gear.

Eventually I'd like to implement (optional) cloud saves, then you could do both with the same character :). Mostly I need to find a means that doesn't cost me too much money but doesn't require too much setup for players either. Has to be cross-platform of course, probably Drop Box or Google Drive.

15. deejayjaw

deejayjaw Member

May 14, 2013
    I had no idea there was a pet button. Thanks!

I think if there was a save point, I would have used it. This was a great run. I was level 9, had full light magic, a bunch of useful potions identified, great jewelry,
    paid off the gnomes
    . But I do plan to try again, and if I get to that point I will have learned what to do with it. I'm fine with the decision not to have that in there, as I think it will lead to this game lasting a lot longer for me. I'm pretty sure that if I could save, I would have beaten this game by now, even if I could only do so in regular mode, because I'll have known how to handle every situation.

That's not how I died. I'd be fine if I stupidly jumped off a cliff, but this was way more random. I won't even put it here with the spoiler cover since I'm bitter and want other people to learn the same way I did. :D

16. LousyHero

LousyHero Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Mostly they can hear you, plus of course once attack they have a better idea of where you are. They still suffer a to-hit penalty regardless, as should be apparent from the combat text. Invisibility isn't quite the super-power it probably would be in real life, but it's a pretty strong advantage, as you've probably found. No need to remove gear.

Thanks for the reaponse, that makes sense on why they would turn around when i would sneak up behind them. Must be that damn chainmail clanking. I noticed the elven cloak description said it helped with stealth, maybe i should have kept that and the resist magic one :p

17. pheriannath

pheriannath Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
    #197 pheriannath, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    I had a run where, incredibly, I managed to find a Legendary weapon about 60 ft down (!!). All I did was wield a 'curved sword' that I just found out of curiosity, because everyone knows that Katanas Are Just Better. That was ruined another 100 ft down when I got taken down by a sewer rat :D

(Moral of the story: never rely on weapons you're not used to handling)

Another question: Is it possible to craft wands (much in the same way that it is possible for us to scribe scrolls)?
    If not, we could turn it into a future feature...maybe obtain wooden sticks from smashing staffs or kicking down wooden doors and use them as base material for wand crafting. Heck, we could even use wooden sticks for fletchery, smithing...that opens so many, many roads of possibilities...

18. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #198 bigred447uk, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    I'm stubbornly trying to beat the game with Wizard / Lawful Good. I won't try a different class. Best I've got is 763 feet deep and lvl 9 Wizard. I was actually completely in control of the game at that depth as well but I killed myself with a stupid mistake. It goes me hope for further attempts.

The other classes will be a whole new game for me maybe next year or something.

Waz, you are genius. This is undeletable ;)

19. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It seems to me that you're exaggerating. Many of the longer roguelike games have a lot of "convergence". If you play Angband, every game ends up being about the same, unless you deliberately make some different choices. Later in the game you may adopt different strategies for going after some of the vaults (depending on which exact version you're playing and some of the settings you choose), but up to some point you are pretty much doing the same thing every time.

I haven't started this game enough times to know how different the runs will be, but after some number of plays it seems like things like finding a +3 greatsword at 100ft just don't make that much difference. It makes the next several levels easier, but you're going to end up at the same point by the time you get to 1000ft; the details of how you got there just won't matter that much. If not that greatsword then by 1000ft you'll find some other comparable weapon.

Some roguelikes do have more variety, like the original Rogue where, simply put, you did have to have some lucky finds in the first several levels in order to have a good game that could win. But most modern roguelikes move more in the direction of convergence, where the luck early in the game doesn't tend to have much residual effect later on.

20. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    So I now adjust my Hunters to be dumb as bricks, unwise and average looking, with like 17-18 Dex 15-16 Strength and whatever the max is for Constitution (15 I think). If I happen to find a decent weapon early, I end up more of a warrior than a hunter.

There really is almost no difference between the hunters and warriors in where they can get the stats too, and there is not much difference in the talent trees either. Hunter gets Beast Master and a better Fury skill, and I think only the Warrior has dual wield. Pretty equal imho. Possibly the main difference is that the Hunter starts with an upgrade to bows, and it takes a while to get that -- longer than it takes to upgrade a weapon. So my thought is that if you want to actually be a bow warrior, it makes sense to start as Hunter.

I think its good for Hunters to have a melee weapon they have some skill with, makes a big difference when your fighting lots of enemies.