Universal Wayward Souls (by Rocketcat Games) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2014]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 23, 2014.

1. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I am SO pumped!!! I'm really hoping they get enough support for the 7th character and all the planned updates, tell all your friends

2. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Best touch controls in a ios game iv ever played

iPad/Mini for best experience.

3. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Ok, but its not what I define as a checkpoint; I see the point though.

Force quitting / resume did not work for me the time I tested it on an iPhone.

4. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    I don't understand why people are talking about the graphics? All of Rocketcat's games use the same style. We're you expecting something different?

Anyways I'm glad it costs 5 bucks or whatever... They could've made it Iap, I'm glad they didn't. I hope this game does well and gets up high on the charts..

Thank you and good luck..

5. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet

I thought he said if the game does well or not we will still have updates and the 7th character is the paladin from the tutorial

6. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Hahha nice :)

7. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    After the beginning play, I'm in love with the Paladin. Great art (love his icon) and his skills are pretty well balanced. I was super disappointed I didn't see him on the character select :( Hopefully they'll add him soon. He would probably be my favorite. I love his heroicness (not a word).

Game plays and looks great. Only complaint is I wish there were attack sounds when you hit enemies. When I was slashing with the paladin, there were no hit sounds besides the sword swinging so I could only tell if I made contact if enemies blinked. For a game that has such great sound it seems like a slight oversight.

8. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Oh my! This is such a good game! The atmosphere, the music, the colourful but dark pixel art works, the great gameplay and the level design! One of my favourite games of the year with Momentum, Tanuki Forest and Oasis

9. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #109 Montanx, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    So I guess I just suck but its a pretty hard game. I played maybe 6 lives and couldnt beat the first dungeon. Id die then id have to start all over. Played every class I could but only the warrior seemed playable. The warrior has a nice attack but the axes are pretty worthless and the shield doesnt even really do anything from what I could tell. Aoe swiping attacks are the only ones worth using. The mage uses resource for her attack, wich kind of blows plus she has pitiful life. The rogues is so small you cant hit anything really. Theres no way to regain life besides going to the next floor. I heard about potions but never saw any. I guess all in all im just dissapointed its not more mage gauntlet wich I loved and beat. I cant even really see myself beating the first dungeon of this, nor do I even get a sense of how big it is. 6 floors? 20?

Maybe im missing something here. I can see how the difficulty is appealing for some, but its more just frustrating and gives me no sense of progression. Odd since I loved mage gauntlet and while that game was tough, didnt really make me feel like I wasnt gonna get anywhere.

10. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    ^ Warrior was the easiest for me, I'm still alive at around 4 floors now.

Rogue is the most fun for me, died on the 2nd floor

Mage is definitely the hardest (not sure what her "balance" is). Died on the first floor.

The game is difficult but still fun for me however I can't figure out the mage. She uses stamina for her attacks, hits slow, low range, no health, etc. It's not like she's destroying mobs with her attacks that make up for her lack of everything else. There's really no upside to playing her character at all that I'm just going to avoid using her unless I get really bored.

11. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    well, i agree that it should make it to other consoles and devices, however -- the iOS aspect of it is (for me) the absolute best part. It's on something i have in my pocket anywhere i go. They nailed the controls so it's not a chore to play on the phone... every other mobile developer should take a lesson from RocketCat. Personally, if this was just for PC, or Vita, or even xbox, i probably wouldn't have purchased it.

12. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    It isn't easy. Anyone saying it's easy is lying for unknown reasons. Depending on your age or how deep the hobby of gaming goes for you, you might be used to the cake walk that is the majority of gaming on iOS. I died a ton of times when I first started plying. It requires you to learn the characters strength and weaknesses. Take it slow and strategically oppose to storming through a room. Before long, you'll get the hang of it and learn how to play the different classes optimally.

13. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Oh definitely. I was just saying I hope to see it on more platforms for the sake of the developers and gamers around the world. I'm in near the same boat as you though.

14. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
  15. asd1234

asd1234 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    #115 asd1234, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    how much time left until hits the european stores?

edit: going2sleep. i'll buy and try it in 6h

16. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I can't recall 100%, but I think a fourth area is confirmed but the paladin is "if it does well"

We'll need Kepa to come clarify the future of updates and stuff though

17. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

Depends on what part of Europe you're from, usually it should be avaliable at midnight / hour after midnight in your local time(zone).

18. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    If you die easily, observe the monsters to know what there attack is. And don't rush! Or you will die first thing.

Good luck

19. asd1234

asd1234 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    est-europe

thanks for info

20. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Are you getting wayward souls?

Just curious on who is and who isn't. If you are, why. If you aren't, why.

I never played mage gauntlet, but I did hear from kapa about wayward souls on the touch arcade podcasts, saw the awesome trailers and heard of the big content updates. And for only $5? Hell yeah.