Universal Wayward Souls (by Rocketcat Games) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2014]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 23, 2014.

1. airdan

airdan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Belize
    I don't particularly like the graphics but I can really appreciate the artwork behind it. And that gameplay. Wow, instabuy.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

3. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Man are you guys telling me I wont be able to sleep tonight after I download this?

4. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Yes... Mouhahahahahahaha "cough cough" Mouhahahahaha

5. cdkilgore21

cdkilgore21 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Being a productive employee at work tomorrow? I think NOT! Will be crouching sinisterly over the App Store around release time tonight!

6. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #66 ScotDamn, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Game Impressions

My initial impressions from the upcoming thread. I've since played the four beginning characters and must say, every class is awesome. I look forward to unlocking the remaining characters.
    ____
    Wayward Souls is actually quite an appropriate title. Especially when given the circumstances in which I was able to enjoy it. It sucked my entire mind, body, and soul right into the game. It demands your undivided attention or you'll lose. Luckily, you will happily comply.

It's hard to call it a roguelike with several game mechanics quite different from your usual RL. But it does sport brutal difficulty.

The Mage class is tricky. You're easily killed and she doesn't seem overly powerful to compensate. Without touching any of the other classes, it's impossible to compare yet. One things for sure though, the class was difficult in an already difficult game. Not able to hack or slash - I was forced to constantly position myself in one of 4 directions, with a lot of kiting (stringing along the bad guys). This was tough when entire rooms were filled with bats (god I hate those things) or other explosive enemies.

The art and graphics of WS are simply beautiful. So many different rooms and diverse lighting. With the procedural generation, it's always a different experience. This goes for both level designs and enemies. It also keeps you from planning a stagnant strategy, forcing you to deal with a wide range of possible mobs.

The story seemed to slowly show itself randomly which was pretty cool, so again you'll always get a different experience.

The music is just wonderful, the perfect cherry on top. It helps set a great atmosphere and pleasurable experience. It really is great.

The controls are exactly what I want in a touchscreen game. Not lazy with virtual buttons but also extremely functional.
    This game will set standards.

Through the first 5 levels in what started to seem like groundhog day, WS seems to be the complete package. It gives hope to people like me who believe the mobile platform can support quality and premium games from small indie developers.

For early impressions, I give this an easy 6 out of 5 stars.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yes, lol. 20 years ago, we would have laughed about the games people call "hard" or "brutal" today.

8. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Oh how I wish I had some money to buy this tonight ;(

9. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    So, this game is not a sequel, but a remake? Like Junk Jack X just added content to the original game? Does that mean I can experience everything without buying Mage Gauntlet?

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Super excited for Wayward Souls; it's been a while since there has seemed to be such a standout action role playing game.

11. TheRybka

TheRybka Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2013
    They're seperate games, but this is built on Mage Gauntlet's engine with a lot of improvements.

12. paradsecar

paradsecar Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Am I understanding correctly that there is no save-and-quit, other than at checkpoints? If you close the app prior to a checkpoint, does your game reload at the previous checkpoint?

I saw a post that you can minimize and it will pause the game, but what about a full close?

13. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Your dungeon progress is always saved until you are dead. There is Permadeath

you get a check point after you beat a boss.

14. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Super Probotector/Super Contra of the SNES in its hardest mode. THAT WAS HARD! :D I feel very excited for this game too. I'm going to watch Sanuku's videos first, but I'll probably hit the buy button tonight.

15. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Exactly!

16. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    Congrats to Rocketcat for releasing the first game that made me go and buy an iTunes card. The last one I bought was about 9 months ago haha looking forward to this!

17. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Why are there so little post in here?? this game should be the most hyped of 2014

18. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    In game progression. Beat one area and unlock the next character, progressively getting more difficult.

19. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    For what it's worth, I've been gaming my entire life essentially, 33 years old now so I do not have the time i once had. Of course I own all of the consoles, 360, Xbox one, ps3, etc but because of family and my busy work schedule I've gotten into mobile gaming more over the last few years. While there are some great mobile games (FF6, King Cashing 2, Oceanhorn, etc). None other than King Cashing 2 have really resonated with me. I'll play them here and there for a bit, but they just don't suck me in.

Until Wayward Souls.

Everything from the truly stunning pixel art, to the amazing musical score, to the extreme difficulty, I just can't get enough.

If you experience the game for what it is you will see how this was worth the 2 years it took to make it. There is more depth in this little game than you'll find in most console titles. No bullshit.

I'd easily pay 19.99 for this game and consider it a steal. I could go on and on about every aspect of the game, but I'd rather you all experience it for yourselves.

Should be an insta-buy for everyone reading this thread.

20. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Wayward Souls on Vita would be awesome