Universal Wayward Souls (by Rocketcat Games) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2014]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 23, 2014.

1. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Finally!!! :eek: Gonna smash the buy button into oblivion at 11 tonight!

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yeah, +1.

Brilliant moves by the devs. Rewarding the early adopers, not devaluating the product, sticking to their guns in terms of graphics, design quality, sound quality and first and foremost: gameplay.

Can't wait to send my money over.

3. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

!!
    Someone mentioned that in Upcoming and I thought they were just joking. Absolutely genius.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #24 Vovin, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

That will teach the cheapskates. They will surely complain like "oooooouuu 5 Dollars 5 Dollars 5 Dollars!!!" and suddenly wonder that they never see a sale, but have to pay 8$ instead. Will serve them right. :D

Imho, it's fair. Content updates need additional work which should be paid. With every content update, the value of the product should rise. Perfectly ok.

5. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    #25 jyhjyh, Apr 23, 2014
    Good point. Would be silly to change their grapichs style.
    And Rocketcat Games is actually not the worst regarding retro graphics I can see in @Sanuku's gameplay video.

I agree 200%.
    I hate the pay to play/win games, never "buy" them.

This game looks like good rogue hack'n'slash fun, so I think I will buy the game to support the good old PAID game model.

Geeezz - lots af game time waiting.
    Just got Junk Jack X, Agricola, Astro Golf, Hexus HD, Dreams of Geisha, SideSwype, Millie, Pixel Defenders Puzzle and tomorrow this game :)

... and not to forget 10000000 for my Android mobile phone (..ahem).

6. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    The day is finally upon us!

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

If you approach this like a hack and slash, you will die fast. That's probably why I compared Wayward to Dark Souls. You need to methodical, don't rush, be aware of what enemies you're facing and how they behave, time your strike carefully, stay on the move, find the best position and opportunities for your magic.

8. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    Thanks for the advice :) Don't like to die fast.

9. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    My only launch day purchase tonight. Looks fabulous.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    +1... Probably my only purchase for the week. ;)

11. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    These are not retro graphics, per say. Pixel, is a type of art. These are beautiful pixel visuals, with advanced lighting & real time movement / destructible area. This is truly, a 2014 master piece. This upcoming thread has been booming, I feel as if I'm going to wet my pants. I've never been so excited for a game.

Oceanhorn didn't even get me this excited, I cannot wait! Once 11pm hits, there goes my life.

12. asd1234

asd1234 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    one question: you lose all your progress and start from begginin when you die?

i'll buy it anyway 'cos looks amazing

13. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    This, Bug Heroes 2, and the upcoming Battleheart Legacy are the only iOS games I need this year. Three amazing games that are (or will be) more than worth their entry fee.

14. Eraser74

Eraser74 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Hamburg
    Great FINALLY! Gratulations Kepa for releasing Wayward Souls! This will definately be an instabuy! :D

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I've been lucky enough and honored to have been playing Wayward Souls for a few days now and these are my impressions from the upcoming thread.

tl;dr version: If you do not buy Wayward Souls, do not entry because all falses will be burned and died. Oh, and obligatory: YOU ARE NOT MAH FRIEND~!

16. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    FINALLY got to smash they buy button. :D Felt like forever!

17. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Yeah, that's the thing. There's no way these effects could've been done in the past. This game is using pixel art as the visual style combined with a variety of modern techniques. I'm typically not an absolutist, but man, it just isn't VALID to say this game looks old or "retro."

18. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I would like to know this too, anybody?

19. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Yes and no. When you choose your hero, you can upgrade your character with coins. These upgrades you keep. During a run, you will find forges to improve your equipment. That you will lose at each death.
    For the progression in a zone, you have to beat a boss to go the next one. If you die before the boss, you have to start over. If you unlock the other zone, you Can start from there or choose to redo the previous zone.

Hope I was clear.

20. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #40 ScotDamn, Apr 23, 2014
    This game is soo very good. Don't expect a walk in the park though. Worth every cent, especially the opening weekend.

To me, the difficulty falls right in line with old school gaming and not overly hard or brutal.