iPad Way too many game apps in the store!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kursndax, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Kursndax

Kursndax Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Man there is like waaaay to many apps in the apps store, everyday I look at new apps and theres more and more come out.

Are there any new apps recently released thats awesome thats not being talked about in here? 99% of the apps I see we don't even talk about here. and I can't even keep up with em.

2. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Thats because 99% of all the apps suck.

3. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    Apple should have a delete system based on the score and number of downloads of each app...
    They should give each app 4 to 6 months to prove itself worthy and if the app performed poorly, they should delete it...

That or change the Store's layout...

4. Kursndax

Kursndax Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    maybe they could sort the games by categories, theres way more games than anything else in the store

5. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    as it stands though the rating system isnt really 100% bullet proof.

when a great app is priced a couple of $$ higher than what the market expects, the reviewers thumbs down the app thus resulting in low ratings. this is true in most cases but there are some gems of an app out there that are reasonably priced with buyers being tooooooo cheap-O!S

6. kwigbo

kwigbo Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Flex/iPhone developer
    The whole app store system needs to be reworked in my opinion. My free app on its first day in the app store held a post date of about 15 days before the date it first showed up. So my app was never at the top of the games list. It was in fact so far down the list I didnt even want to scroll that far to look for it. Therefore this leads me to believe that there are probably a lot of great apps with very little exposure. If you can't get a top position in the app store your app will not do well. This is a flaw of the app store and is leading to alot of great stuff being lost.

7. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I never understood why games were mashed in with everything else. A separate "Games Store" with some radical re-organization would be nice. The iTunes store shows some promise in this regard but it's been my experience that getting on the device App Store is the only way to get noticed.

As far as the rampant crapware goes it basically comes down to what people are buying. The 99 cent stuff rules - no matter the quality. The top app today has an average rating of 2.5 in the US and dozens of scolding 1 star reviews - yet people keep buying it (WTF?) As long as that trend continues you're going to see more 1-2 week efforts by the dumpload.

A lot of devs complain Apple is too strict, but I for one would like to see much stricter acceptance rules and developer fees in the range of $500 or $1000 per year.

8. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    There should be an option to filter by rating. If I could get a list of all the 4-5 star apps I might actually look through the list again. As it is now I rely on word of mouth and external advertising.

9. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #9 salsamd, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
    I suspect there may be an announcement of efficiency revisions to the App Store at the Moscone Center in Jan 2009...

10. kwigbo

kwigbo Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Flex/iPhone developer
    I for one would not be able to develop apps if the cost was that high. Charging more for people to develop apps doesn't necessarily mean the apps will be higher quality. Charging more just kills the opportunity for the individual. Just because you have money doesn't mean you can write good code. Also just because the app is made by a big company doesn't mean that it will be high quality either. Sometimes the big companies will cut corners to save time and money. Whereas people like me who are just making games for the pleasure of making games don't care about the time and effort. They care about quality and user experience. So in a price raise like that you might cut out some of the trash but you would also be depriving the platform of good software as well.

11. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Jesus christ

First, everyone preaches how Apple should let EVERY non-malicious app into the store

Now you guys want guidelines on who gets in?

12. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    I agree that all non-malicious apps should be allowed into the App Store. There are plenty of simple apps that are more useful than highly intricate apps - especially when it comes to utility apps. And some of the simpler games can be as enjoyable as the graphics-intense games, especially when you just have 15 or 20 minutes to play a quick game.

Raising the developer fees would just allow the rich to get richer, and it doesn't mean that the quality of the apps will be higher. I have enjoyed plenty of free or $0.99 games more than some $9.99 games. The low developer fees allows those developers who don't have major financing or funds to be able to create great applications, and I am sure that such is the case with a good quantity of apps.

I am in favor of having ratings for apps, but placing subjective limitations not appropriate. Who is going to decide where the line lies between the acceptable apps and the unacceptable apps?

One thing that could be done is that the AppStore in iTunes and the iPhone could have an option for individuals to see only apps with a certain rating (3 or more stars, for example). Of course, this would not work for new apps. But maybe those people wouldn't want to purchase an app until it received a rating that would be deemed acceptable. That would decrease the number of apps that such individual would see, and it would allow that individual to see apps that received a certain rating. :D

13. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    #13 Mr. Charley, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
    To some degree, I hear you that there are way too many apps. A lot, a lot of garbage and useless apps, no doubt. I have been more than frustrated at wasting my time downloading and trying so many stupid apps....
    At the same time, I like having a choice and sometimes you have to dig through the garbage to find that gem...the needle in the haystack...whichever saying you wanna use.
    In terms of the rating system, I personally find the lower rated apps because of price as useless. The person can comment on the value they feel it's worth, but they're supposed to be rating the application. Was it good? Did it work as it claimed? To tell me it's not worth $9.99 or whatever, I can appreciate but I may feel it's worth $9.99 if it does everything it's supposed to. I don't feel it's fair to give a 1 star based on price...Unfortunately I'm not sure other people feel the same way and may not purchase something because some idiot gave it a 1 star based on price.
    On the other hand, we can't really start saying which reviews are legit and who has a right to make comments...I think we as consumers need to make up our own minds about if a review is worthwhile or not.

I've commented before in another thread but what really pisses me off now is how the app store is on my Touch. I cannot look at games anymore, as it's the same 100 everyday pretty much. I don't want to be tethered to my computer and iTunes. I miss being able to scroll through all my choices.... (I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself and you're all tired of reading this. I just find it really upsetting).

14. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    You might be right about that, but they gotta do something. Apple already has a $99 fee meant to keep out the riffraff but it's not really working. I don't think a higher entry price would necessarily hurt individuals - most people easily spend more than $500/year on their hobbies.

15. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I think some of the problem lies with us consumers. There must be a lot of people buying garbage without thinking which in turn condones the crap and overcrowding in the app store....
    If no one bought DS Effects garbage for instance, we wouldn't have 1000 different pet apps....
    If no one bought Urban Tycoon or only a few did, then we wouldn't keep enticing them to continue to release such garbage....

Man I'm in a bitter and pessimistic mood tonight.... :eek:

16. lynch

lynch Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    California
    you have to physically (virtually) walk through an isle, similar to a grocery store, and swipe apps into your cart

with endless elevator musak

17. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

And mean old ladies that techinically 'work' for it, but refuse to give you any help.

Ah, department stores.

18. nippyjun

nippyjun Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    what about apple removing software that isn't selling to clear out the clutter?

19. kwigbo

kwigbo Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Flex/iPhone developer
    I don't think that is fair at all due to the fact that apps can get lost in the app store. So in doing that you may be removing good software that is just lost in the pile.

20. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I think some sort of emulation of what iTunes does would be good enough. A top 100 list for free games, and one for paid games. And then provide categories for types of games. And add in the ability to sort by release date or by popularity.