Universal Wavecade (by Andrew Spalato)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Anotherkellydown, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Spalato Bros

Spalato Bros Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    #81 Spalato Bros, Feb 9, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    https://youtube.com/shorts/BS6g5d2ID2M?feature=share

So In the above video, the player movement is now tied to the touch position when touch controls are enabled with relative touch position settings. There is now no delay/smoothing for the ship to move to its target position.

The apparent lag is not lag, it is just when I lifted my finger off the touch screen and placed it at another position.

Should now feel more like a traditional mobile #shmup game.

Anotherkellydown and anthony78 like this.
  2. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Just a weekly development update:
    • Did some various UI improvements
    • Converting to noise/static blocks to not change below the lowest point of the playfield
    • Show type of hazard in "Incoming" message
    • Attempt to collect garbage memory after a playthrough to prevent performance degradation over multiple playthroughs
    • Fixed a bug where the menu camera was not animating it's field of view in the start sequence
    • Fixed a bug where laser hazard particles will not play the charging sequence while the current wave was not active
    • Improved nade explosions to use a single sphere collider instead of hundreds of particles with collision
    • Loading spinner design updated
    • Improved player relative touch movement
    • Updated background images that are prerendered blurred
    • Fixed a bug where time/speed text was not updating
    • Fixed a bug where restarting a game from the carnage report failed to load the main scene
    • New "Practice Mode" (Infinite lives with no achievements/leaderboards/challenges)
    • UI now standardized with a cohesive template
    • Show auto text on shoot button if autofire is enabled
    Next week: (May or may not be in the next release)
    • Redesign default block pack
    • Improve main game UI
    • UI indicator to show how far up the playfield the player is
    • Built in profile icons in customization
    • Gyro player movement
    • Updates to the Wavecade website to show a universal leaderboard across all platforms

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  3. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    #83 Spalato Bros, Feb 16, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    The big wait is nearly over, v1.4.1 is being reviewed and will be out shortly!

Thank you for your feedback, it has definitely helped make Wavecade a much better game and I hope you like it.

EDIT: Released v1.4.1 on the AppStore!!!
    https://apps.apple.com/app/wavecade/id1661057707

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  4. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Bought this one a while ago and it often used to crash during the game. Tried this latest update and it doesn’t open at all now. iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.3.

5. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Crash on start for me too after the update iPhone 13 Pro latest iOS

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Works fine on my iPhone 14 pro, latest OS. Are your phones running in English? Sometimes language selection can cause crashes.

7. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    No is running on local language. I’ll try it maybe is this…

squarezero likes this.
  8. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    For those who are experiencing crashes with the latest update, please uninstall and reinstall the game. Issue I think is caused by a break in compatibility with older save files.

Your Game Center leaderboard/achievements will not be affected but your customization/XP may be reset unfortunately.

9. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Just like that? So all the XP we’ve earned goes down the drain? My game’s crashing on all my devices at startup after upgrading to iOS 16.3.1, so I’m really reconsidering if it’s worth to start over. Especially with that voice in my head whispering it could happen again.:( Seriously, so disappointing!

10. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Sorry about that. I am looking into a cloud save system for the next update. My goal is to reset the leaderboards anyway since the game has changed so much since it's first release in July 2022 on Steam. I want to have it be competitive and on an even playing field.

The top leaders right now on each platform will have their display pic/name on the Wavecade website for "Season 1" as part of a universal leaderboard.

Season 2 is when there will be a reset so everyone is on an even playing field. There were some exploits that the iOS version had which caused the top arcade leader to smash all the other scores and that has put some people off from even trying to attempt to beat the score.

squarezero likes this.
  11. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Spalato Bros alright, cloud save could’ve prevented such issue so fingers crossed for this feature being properly implemented in the next update. Not to mention it’d be much more convenient to sync progress between devices instead of chasing XP on multiple. So, yeah.

12. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    While I am putting out some fires on Nintendo Switch, I have been updating the website and created a universal leaderboard across all platforms which you can find here:

http://wavecade.com.au

Select Leaderboards to open the page below and scroll to the game modes you want to search for. You may find your screen name there! If it isn't, then it means it's time to open up Wavecade and beat their score!

upload_2023-2-21_22-53-28.png

13. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hi again!

I am still hard at work, about 90% done with the next update. Here's what you can expect...

- Overhauled settings menu UI.
    - Bonus waves now can happen on random waves instead of every 5 waves.
    - Changed how the next level orb bounces around the screen and will cover more area.
    - Charging bullets is now a toggle, you don't have to hold the button down, freeing up your finger to move around.
    - Ability selection UI now shows details on how long the ability takes to charge and its maximum ability active time.
    - Matchmaking UI now shows all open rooms with the platform icon next to it.
    - New propulsion particle effect.
    - New ships.
    - New block formations.
    - Extra 100 rankings.
    - Boss music now doesn't change in pitch.
    - Armor and homing sprites updated.
    - Boundary indicators updated.
    - Non overdrive standard bullets despawn when colliding with a hazard.
    - Fixed Settings UI closing when player is not spawned.
    - Updated Start Menu UI.
    - Welcome back UI. If you haven't played the game in 1 hours, 2 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours, you will receive a small reward when you come back to play Wavecade.
    - Fixed profile picture display bugs.
    - Fixed misc UI canvas and navigation bugs.
    - Fixed other small gameplay bugs.

Now for cloud saves... It is 90% complete, got it working on Google Play Games but I still have to figure out why I can't add Game Center cloud save feature at the moment. I will work on it some time this week and then get an update once it is ready.

Release date TBA, thank you for supporting Wavecade and your feedback is very valuable.

14. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    #94 Spalato Bros, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    Announcing v1.4.3 (Cloud Saves Enabled!) EDIT: Now released

Just rolling out the new version on iOS as it is approved.

If you are experiencing a crash, then the only way to get around it is to reinstall the app. Once reinstalled, the app should work normally and then cloud save data will be created for you which will keep your XP if you happen to run the game on another device with the same Game Center account.

Reinstalling the app before the cloud save data is created can potentially lose your XP.

Leaderboards for each game mode have been cleared for scores over 1 million points. Top season 1 scores are still available on our website. We will finally have an even playing field and consistent versions across all platforms and I hope to see big scores come back after the balances, this time with more legitimacy.

Again, thank you, and I am working hard on more bug fixing and content updates. I actually have another big announcement to make which I can't reveal yet, which explains why I have been somewhat delayed lately...

Anotherkellydown, macplash and sebgo like this.
  15. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    #95 Spalato Bros, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    Announcing v1.4.4 (Vibrations fixed, player ID customization)

Release date: 13 March 2023 (Released!)

Here is the full changelog:
    • Ability to set a custom username
    • New vibration package added (enable vibrations in settings)
    • Reduced app size
    • Force update UI page if the app version is too low
    • Incoming UI improvement
    • Select a custom profile image
    • Next level orb now creates continuous path
    • Scraping along edges of playfield will now not lose speed
    • Particle effect explosion accuracy
    • Armor blocks damage now more accurate
    • Improved multiplayer synchronization
    • Fixed player boundary indicator in portrait mode
    • Player progression UI now levels up and continues automatically
    • Playfield sizing tweak
    • Bug fixes and improvements
    Please let me know if you would like any clarification with any of the above items.

The next update will be more of a visual improvement!

sebgo and Anotherkellydown like this.
  16. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    sebgo likes this.
  17. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hello! I've been working on new updates for Wavecade [v1.5].

Here are some tweaks to gameplay you can look forward to:
    • Playfield size will be 32 columns instead of 34. This makes spawning blocks simpler.
    • The next wave orbs will be removed. To go to the next wave you will just need to clear the board of existing blocks, or defeat the boss.
    • The UI will be overhauled to be more user friendly.
    Who is playing Wavecade currently? Comment here and let me know the one thing you would like to see in Wavecade in the next update. It can be a feature or some gameplay mechanic that you would enjoy playing.

Release date TBA as it is still in development. Currently working on customization, then will be updating backgrounds and a fresh new app icon.

sebgo and Anotherkellydown like this.
  18. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    I was on the fence as to pick up this game or not. Coming in here and seeing you working your ass off, and engaging with this community to make it better, made up my mind. You're awesome.

19. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    Well shit, I played for a few minutes yesterday after I bought it. Today it crashed at the photosensitive warning every time. I deleted it and reinstalled it and now it just sits on that screen.

20. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    #100 Spalato Bros, Mar 30, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    What's your username or Game Center name in the app? I can look up the cloud save and can modify it if anything is corrupted. Feel free to DM me if you want as well.

EDIT: After randomly checking some cloud saves, they all look okay to me.

If you haven't done already, it would be a great help if you could enable sending crash reports for Wavecade:
    1. Open the Settings app on your iOS device.
    2. Scroll down and tap on "Privacy."
    3. Next, tap on "Analytics & Improvements."
    4. Toggle on the "Share With App Developers" option.
    5. Scroll down to the "Data Sharing" section and find the Wavecade app for which you want to enable sending crash reports.
    6. Toggle on the "Share With App Developer" option for that app.
    By enabling these settings, you will allow the app to send crash reports to the developer whenever the app crashes on your device. This can help the developer diagnose and fix any issues that may be causing the app to crash, and improve the overall user experience.

sebgo likes this.