Universal Wavecade (by Andrew Spalato)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Anotherkellydown, Jan 5, 2023.

1. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    @Spalato Bros welcome to the forum. Really loving your game. I hope for more power ups and updates in the future. But for now I cannot wait for a fix lol. Super excited to give the game a go without the stress of wondering when my run will end. That being said being currently #1 on the leaderboard is fun. So I guess I can wait a bit longer. Because once the update is out I know these guys are gonna try and destroy me lol. Thanks again for joining us. Wish you the best of luck with your game. It’s really a ton of fun.

Spalato Bros and squarezero like this.
  2. Spalato Bros

Spalato Bros Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Thanks for bringing up the Customize Menu not respecting the device's safe area. Was missing a component on that UI. New update will fix this also.

macplash likes this.
  3. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    After these bug fixes are rolled out, I have a bunch of powerups/abilities/perks/hazards/bosses that I want to implement next so you're in luck!

metalcasket and squarezero like this.
  4. #Bonk3rZ

#Bonk3rZ Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    After having a quick glance in this thread I thought I was waiting for the same fix as everybody else, but my game is simply crashing every time. And with every time I mean every time - my "highscore" is still from my first run. Everything runs perfectly fine, but from about level 10-15 at some point the game simply crashes. Like one moment I'm in the middle of an epic fight, next moment I'm staring at my homescreen. Otherwise I'd be up there with you guys ... ;p

Will the next fix help me too? Or is my beloved iphone 8 with ios 15 too weak for the burden?

5. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    My test device is an iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 15.3.1, so it shouldn't be that and it runs at a solid 60 FPS (after some more bug fixes in a test build).
    Next time it crashes, if you can allow share diagnostic and usage information if it prompts you, and I can take a look at it on the AppStore dashboard where I can see analytics and crash reports.

6. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Thank you thank you.

Have solved the major bugs and now just fixing up the minor UI issues, then will get this bad boy up to the app store so we can get even more competition in the leaderboards!

macplash, elcrazy and squarezero like this.
  7. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    #47 Spalato Bros, Jan 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    Changelog for v1.3.1:
    • Fixed a bug where waves spontaneously stop spawning blocks.
    • Fixed framerate issues when the camera's field of view changed such as using a nade or the player being impacted.
    • App will not mute other audio sources while the app is opened.
    • App now loads settings correctly.
    • Fixed UI overlaps on customize menu UI. Safe area is respected on customization UI.
    • Fixed an issue on the charge UI fill amount overflowing if charge was held too long.
    • New auto fire option (Enabled by default) go to Settings > Gameplay to change this.
    • Shows amount of players who are playing online games in a match. You will be able to see if it is full and try again later.
    • Timer on game modes that have time limits.
    • Game Center display name is now displayed correctly the first time.
    • Rebinding controls on a gamepad is now supported.
    • Pause button always shown if touch controls are not enabled.
    I am just undergoing final testing to make sure everything is okay and will make a submission soon.

metalcasket and macplash like this.
  8. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I can’t decide if this will be the kind of game I enjoy or not, generally I don’t enjoy this genre and don’t care for leaderboards but all the positive comments make me want it regardless.

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Thanks for the hard work. Mind me asking if the weird bug with blocks only being generated on the far right of the screen in certain waves has been fixed?

macplash likes this.
  10. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Wavecade is a game where you play the game to win. In contrast to those "Pay To Win" freemium games with ads.

I believe people like Wavecade because it's a type of game that should be the norm but it isn't. It is possible to create an honest game to gather players without it being a temporary cash cow.

Up to you if you want to purchase it, please let me know if you do or don't like the game. We have a discord channel and open to feedback and suggestions.

ste86uk and metalcasket like this.
  11. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Blocks can randomly spawn in a stream as a hazard that takes up a few of the columns. I don't think its a bug. You can play a custom game mode which does not spawn hazards if you don't want them while playing.

squarezero likes this.
  12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Perhaps it’s a case of that specific type of hazard spawning in tandem with the empty wave bug. *shrugs* Regardless, looking forward to the update!

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I mean, $2 for the quality you’re getting is insane. I say go for it. You have nothing to lose. ;)

squarezero and ste86uk like this.
  14. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah the empty wave bug breaks the immersion but a fix will be on the app store very soon.

The purpose of those block hazards is the player can hang around doing nothing if the wave has ended but has not collected the next wave orb. This encourages players to collect the orb anyway or else risking losing one life by falling blocks that are not part of the wave.

Those hazards can still happen during a wave though but you get an incoming warning so you can make time go slow and take care of it.

elcrazy likes this.
  15. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Wavecade v1.3.1 iOS is now rolled out.

Taking a closer look at the leaderboards from time to time. I hope to see more scores in the millions, lets see if you can beat the high score on steam which is around 7 million!

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for the update. My
    first run with the new version got me close to a million, but not quite. elcrazy has been busy!

For the next update: your control settings assumes you’re on PC, and if you try to change anything it gets stuck on “Waiting for input” (since there’s no keyboard on iOS). Not a big deal, but could confuse players.

Spalato Bros likes this.
  17. #Bonk3rZ

#Bonk3rZ Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world

Whatever you did with this upgrade, the game is not crashing for me anymore. So I had my first serious run today ... :cool:
    (Shame there is that other guy now though. Are these 17 millions real?)

However, I noticed some bugs.
    - the bomb often can't be activated, the light just goes out for a second, then it's illuminated again, but nothing else happens, and there is nothing I can do. I think I have to use another powerup first before the bomb can be activated again. Do I miss something?

- wrong Gamecenter achievements. I got the 1 million score at around 200k points. The first time I saw the 100 million achievement was around 400k, today I got that one again at around 1.5 million.

Also I have a hard time to understand how the passive powerups work. Do they stack? I always try to catch all of them, or is that wrong, because they cancel each other out? In the same vein, I do think the left lower corner is not a good place to show them. While trying to figure out what's goin on I have to lift my thumb, and, well, that's not a good idea. Could due with some advice here and, if possible, a little hud change. (Why not in the upper left corner, next to the player?

However, awesome game!

18. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    You forgot to include abilities menu as it’s the only one now still filling the whole screen and hiding its stuff under the notch.

19. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Thanks, will fix in next update.

macplash likes this.
  20. Spalato Bros

Jan 11, 2023
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah the 17 million score was shared on Discord so it is legitimate, there is a hardcore fan who got past wave 100. The rate of points that you get increase per wave.

The bomb should be able to be activated but you may have run out of bombs, you will need to collect the bomb powerup to increase it, but the UI might not reflect it in the touch button.

The main suggestion for the next update is to overhaul the main UI so it is cleaner and also works in portrait mode as well.

For the achievements, I decreased the score requirements by a factor of 100, but the achievements have not been renamed yet.

In terms of powerups, the ones that stack are:
    • Parallel shot: "||" " |||" "||||"
    • Spread shot: "\|/" "\||/" "\\||//"
    All other powerups are additive and don't affect each other. Collecting the same powerup that is already enabled or maxed out just tops up your powerup time.

If you have a spread shot, don't try to get the parallel shot or vice versa. Hopefully that answers most of your questions. The game is still being worked on and like I said previously, mobile port for this game was an afterthought but it will be very nice once these updates are done.