Universal WASTELAND! (by BENCOMO)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brightsiderus, Feb 28, 2021.

1. abbstar

abbstar Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2018
    Thought I would give this game a go, and why not. A first person shooter in portrait mode!!
    Different, and visually great...
    So far I find it a good cross between a casual game and a full blown FPS game.
    Controls are simple, but felt a bit weird at the start, but become comfortable quick enough.
    Difficulty seems ok, im on day 5, I am hoping it becomes a bit more difficult as it goes on, bit more shooting and battles would be good!!
    missions are good so far...
    Exploring the wasteland keeps you wanting more, some bonus pickups hidden in some of buildings and bases could be good, I find myself exploring every building and tent LOL
    Its definitely a game ill continue to play, hopefully there are a sufficient amount of levels/Days/Missions to keep me going..
    Nice job, enjoying it so far.
    Good luck with it!!

BENCOMO likes this.
  2. OddAlun

OddAlun Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Crashes to home screen on my iPad Pro 9.7 also... [exiting tutorial and completing 1st mission]

BENCOMO likes this.
  3. BENCOMO

BENCOMO Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 29, 2018
    Thanks for playing the game @abbstar I am glad you are enjoying it!

Thanks for the feedback @OddAlun - I am researching about that crash at the moment. It is only happening on games installed from the appstore but not happening when I test the game on my devices. It is a memory issue that started with Unity 2019 and xcode.. Let's see if I find the solution this week to submit an update asap.

Thanks for playing!

4. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Sadly my very old 2016 SE is too old to handle this one. Memory usage make each level slow down drastically during rund and right after finishing day 1, the game crashed.

But I like the art style, simplyfied gameplay and the icon :)

BENCOMO likes this.
  5. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Strafing would be really nice, and not hard to implement. Since you‘re having your movement thumb/finger on the screen, dragging this thumb/finger to one side could make you strafe in that direction. I kind of wanna do this intuitively all the time.

Ijipop, Truncana and BENCOMO like this.
  6. BENCOMO

Patreon Silver

Apr 29, 2018
    Hello @Rocco SE it sucks to hear your phone does not handle the game properly.. To be honest I do not have a device that old - the oldest one I have is an iPhone 6S and the game runs fine on that device.

Regarding the sideways movement: yes it is very easy to implement, but I am going to keep the controllers as they are because adding two virtual joysticks to the screen on a portrait game is too much. People with bigger fingers would complain and that would not make the game playable for everybody.
    The game is designed around the current controls, there is no part on the map that cannot be reached nor enemy that cannot be killed with the current input.

I am glad you like the artsyle, the gameplay and the icon. Those are things I spent a lot of time working on actually so it feels good to hear that someone else likes them..

Let me know if you have any other feedback regarding the game!
    Cheers!

Ijipop and Truncana like this.
  7. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I've taken a leap of faith and bought the game. I haven't had a chance to play for a long time yet, but so far, I'm really liking what I'm seeing.

BENCOMO likes this.
  8. BENCOMO

Patreon Silver

Apr 29, 2018
  9. matscotty

matscotty Active Member

May 14, 2011
    The SE was actually released 6 months after the 6S & has the same chipset.

10. BENCOMO

Patreon Silver

Apr 29, 2018
    In that case the game should be running just fine.. it runs at full 60fps on my 6S. The battery could also be an issue as Apple reduces the CPU speed based on the battery health.

Also, @Rocco SE did you try reducing the resolution in the game’s settings? That should help with the performance. That feature was added so the game could be played in older devices. Let me know if this helps. Thanks!

11. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I couldn’t get into it, everything felt like it was on rails, nothing interactive, and I couldn’t get into the control scheme. When you turn a corner and a monster is in your face you should be able to back up. Kudos to the artist, the graphics are very cool.

pathogen541 and Lull4by like this.
  12. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Same here. Really appealed to me so I gave it a pop but I just don’t quite get it. Appreciate that it’s a well put together thing but I’ve just felt like I’m going from A to B, repeat but with better weapon.

13. BENCOMO

Patreon Silver

Apr 29, 2018
    #33 BENCOMO, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    Hello!!

I have been working on Wasteland in the past few months and released a couple of updates - please check below the details:

Version 1.0.2 - Release date: Mar 6, 2022
    MEGA-UPDATE!
    - Redesigned controllers for a better gameplay (player has now the ability of strafing)
    - Gamepad support
    - Apple Promotion support (on supported devices only)
    - Redesigned UI
    - More level content
    - Drastic performance improvements

Version 1.0.3 - Release date: Jun 3, 2022
    - New name.
    - Free2Play gameplay (with IAP to remove ads)
    - More level content added
    - Performance improvements

So basically since version 1.0.0 I have added new controllers (full joystick movement - 360 degrees) plus full gamepad support.
    The game has drastic performance improvements and a better designed UI.
    Have also added the option of playing in Apple Silicon devices (using a gamepad).
    If you have a device that supports 120hz refresh rate (Apple Promotion)- enable the option in the settings of the game for a butter smooth gameplay.

Wasteland is now free to play - so please give it a go when you can and let me know your comments!

LINK TO GAME:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wasteland-portrait-mode-fps/id1548143169

Thanks in advance!
    Jonathan

Truncana likes this.
  14. AaroArts

AaroArts Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Indie Developer
    England
    Just saw this in the iOS charts well done!

I downloaded the update and really enjoying it so far.
    I love first person shooter games so being able to play this on mobile is awesome.
    Nice gameplay and nice controls.

I would love to see 360 camera, so I can look up and down with the right thumb, but still excellent and fun game.
    Great work. Good luck.

BENCOMO likes this.
  15. Liontech Studios

Liontech Studios Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2020
    Great game, congratulations.

BENCOMO likes this.
  16. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    For those of us who already bought it, shouldn’t the restore purchase remove ads? I bought it before it went F2P and can’t restore.

Truncana likes this.
  17. BENCOMO

Patreon Silver

Apr 29, 2018
    Hello Anthony, please send me over the proof of purchase and I can send you a promo code to remove the ads. Sadly Apple won't allow to restore previous purchases that I'm aware of. Send me a PM and we can sort this out - thanks!

18. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    There are ways to do it as other apps that have gone F2P have been able to. I’ll try to find the date I purchased it on iTunes.

BENCOMO likes this.
  19. BENCOMO

Patreon Silver

Apr 29, 2018
    Just sent you a promocode Anthony, I remember you buying the game when it came out. Let me know if everything is working now - cheers!

anthony78 likes this.
  20. OddAlun

OddAlun Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Hmm... still exits to home screen when exit to next mission. Same iPad Pro 9.7 as my 03/02/2021 post [F2P version resolution slider to lowest setting]