Was this always possible? [Netflix]

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by lepeos, Sep 29, 2012.

1. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    So I'm watching Netflix on my PS3 and I decide to go make something to eat halfway through an episode of The Munsters. I pause Netflix on the PS3 and take my iPad to the kitchen.

I load up Netflix, which has been updated to the latest version recently (because I always make sure my software is up to date even if it means taking extreme measures) and I choose the said same episode of The Munsters.

Instead of immediately playing the video, as is it's usual fare, the iPad propostioned me with a simple question, asking me if I wanted playback on my iPad or my PS3.

Intrigued, I chose the 'PS3' option and am astonished when before my eyes my television re-illuminates and begins to continue where I had stopped watching, further progressing the plot and Helping to explain Marilyn and Lilly's need for secrecy regarding Herman's upcoming birthday. "It's alive!" I say to myself, noting the post-modern irony.

Upon close inspection of the iPad's screen, I find it had become filled with an image portraying The Munsters as well as some slightly cumbersome playback controls. After some casual experimentation I find that I can leave the confines of the iPad Netflix App and freely browse the vast assortment of apps I have gathered thanks to a diligent membership to the website Toucharcade.com, all the while without disturbing what my television portrayed.

My question is, could I always have done this? Or is this new?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
  3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    That's awesome. Does it work with Apple TV? My PS3 broke :(

4. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Well as far as I'm aware it's already a feature of Apple TV. I must say it is pretty handy considering how horrible the PS3 interface is, compared to the iPad.