Out Now Warp Drive - Teleport Racing! (by Supergonk)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Oct 27, 2020.

1. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    @Skall Exactly, that's what I was trying to say. A14 may have slightly better sustained performance but that's all, no big difference.

@squarezero I'd say roughly 15-20%, since this is a optimization year rather than performance. Still, it shouldn't run 60fps on your device imho. I may sound bothering and apologies for that, yet I wanted this game run at 60fps that's why I'm whining like a fps addict. I'm kinda disappointed with this title, it's just post-processing effects everywhere like many of the games, it could've run miles better without them but I guess that's the games' gimmick eh? :rolleyes:

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I did a little research. You guys are right that Metal performance is about the same on the A14 (phone) than on the A12z; the A12z GPU has twice as many cores as the A14 on the iPhone 12 Pro. You forget, however, that the iPhone 12 Pro is running about half the pixels of the iPad Pro (2,962,440 vs
    5,595,136). That makes a big difference on FPS and refresh rates.

As I said before, I’m not the best judge of 30/60 FPS performance, since, for most games, I’m happy if they run smoothly and the controls are responsive (which is very much the case here). As I said before, my point of comparison is Grid, which definitely looks like a 30 FPS game.

BTW to they guy complaining that the game is “too easy,” how the heck did you beat race #7? Best I can do is 3rd.

3. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Ok, I reinstalled... and deleted once again after spending some more time with it. Buttons were now clear and mechanics are quite fun.

But loading times are still annoying and the low level of difficulty feels like an insult. It‘s hard not to win each single race, as if this game is made for kids, which might be the case.

Also, being used to the brilliant (!!!) soundtracks of the early WipeOut games, this game falls flat. Those tracks and the countdown sound feel super generic.

Still loved the color palette though ☺️

4. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Valid point on pixel count. I guess both devices got pros/cons, but this conversation just made me thirst over the upcoming iPad Pro. That thing hopefully will be something else.

Back to the Warp Drive, I can't believe how this game released without online multiplayer, such a miss imho.

Skall likes this.
  5. crazy.hinkal

crazy.hinkal New Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Male
    I've just found out two more features:
    - A long enough drift automatically activates an extra boost
    - Have you seen those see-through parts of the road/walls? You can drive through them while your boost is activated what gives more variety to the track routes

Stronsay likes this.
  6. crazy.hinkal

crazy.hinkal New Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Male
    So I'd been playing this game for about 20 races into the first tournament (are there any other tournaments or something btw?) telling myself that I should stop as the game is too repetitive. But something had been pulling me in, some Borderlands meets The Smurfs meets Horizon Chase vibe
    Then I just went to the Appstore, downloaded the actual Horizon Chase that I haven't been touching since 2015 and turns out it is free to try now, so I restored the purchase and man I should have done it in the very first place. God bless those nights literally turning into days while handling a curve and manoeuvring between these retro wave beauties

Skall, Wicked8146 and Rocco SE like this.
  7. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    This game is tough for me! I still can't pass the first race. LOL

8. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Up to level 9 though had to skip a few tricky stages. I can win most provided I hit every boost and use every shortcut. Don’t think there are any other tournaments. Those listed at the start just seem to be save slots. Working for me as a lively arcade racer to fill in few minutes.