iPad WARNING! How many Apps before we crash?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by networkman, Oct 19, 2008.

1. networkman

networkman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    This may have been asked before, but I would like to know the answer before my iphone crashes on me.

How many iphone Apps does it take before it crashes?
    Is there a limit? I'm running the 16gb version. I heard a rumor of about 9 screens.(8gb or 16gb)

Then poof!

...tick tock, I'm at 9 now. (counting the first screen).

2. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    You can't install more than 9 pages of apps (they won't appear).

3. I don't know about crashing, but I think I read somewhere it will only go up to 9 pages, then the apps simply disappear, if you like, to a hidden 10th page. So, for example, when you do reach that stage and you remove apps one by one, those 'hidden' apps will start appearing on the 9th page again.
    Someone correct me if I am wrong.

4. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I'm hoping that with the new firmware (2.1), there is no more crashing.
    But 9 pages is the limit, but not sure if it still crashes with the new fw update

5. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    I'm on 6 pages because I'm constantly deleting the apps I don't use.

I wish Apple (or a handy dev) would create a file system. Like, 1 button that links to screens of games, 1 that links to utilities, etc. That way, you'd only need 2 screens on the "home screen" and it'd be easier to use.

6. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    yes!!!!
    I want this soooooo bad!!!!
    It would make it much simpler and much much more organized!
    I already organize my pages by games and entertainment/social/utilities
    I wish apple would add this!
    I'd be willing to pay for it!!!

7. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

I totally agree. But of course Apple is gonna make that come later and we'll all have to pay another $20 for Iphone 2.2 or something.

8. networkman

networkman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    It seems a lot of us have purchased a large number of apps.

I like the puzzle-type and retro games..

Aren't these apps just joy?! I'm playing more on my iPhone now than my other plaforms (xbox,PS3,Wii)-but still playing on my PC.
    I can't get enough. (and they're cheap too!)
    FUN FUN FUN.
    :cool:

9. I know what you mean. I have a Wii and DS. My DS hasn't been out of it's case in the last 2 months, honestly. I bought 2 games in the last month for the Wii (Tiger 09 and Brothers In Arms) and played them about twice each, and that's it!
    I am just so addicted now to Touch gaming. I love being able to download a game and play it within seconds, the prices, and of course free updates. However, as mentioned here, the more we buy, the more our menu gets bigger. A simple folder solution would solve this problem easily. I personally would like a folder for each genre of game- one for racers, one for word games etc etc. It's been mentioned a lot on the Apple support forums, and I am sure Apple are aware that things can't carry on the way they are going. Maybe within one of the next major updates we will see a change in the structure. Fingers crossed.

10. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    I don't think that a folder structure will happen on stock iPhones because Apple won't allow it. It will only happen if they create it themselves or if they allow a third-party developer to create it.

There is an app called Categories for jailbroken phones that creates folders and allows you to name the folders and to put apps into the folders. So this alread exists, but Apple won't allow a developer to create this for non-jailbroken phones. See here for a video: http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=categories+iphone+video&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title# and here for info: http://sleepers.net/news/category/categories/.

11. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    I totally agree. I have 2 high powered XPS computers, a Wii and a Xbox 360, but I do all my gaming on the iPhone now! :D

12. abbad0n

abbad0n Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    The total number of Icons you can have on the iPhone (as opposed to the total number of applications you can have - remember you can put web links and other Iconified information as well) is:

9 total pages
    16 icons per each page
    4 always available icons on static 5th row
    19 unremovable apple applications

((9 * 16) + 4) - 19 = 129 total icons

I've found that even after you've made room for extra apps that are installed above that Icon number, the apps that go above that into the "10th page" (haven't tested if Icons created from Safari's "Add to Home Screen" button will also disappear into the 10th page) have to be removed first and then reinstalled before they will show up.

13. BlueGenome

BlueGenome Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    At the moment all I do is keep all of my applications in iTunes (about 70) and I sync those that I use regularly, the games I love and know will never delete and I leave a page on my iphone for those apps that I am testing out or that I like but wont be playing much. Like I said I have about 70 apps but I only sync about 40 or so and my iPhone has never had any issues whatsoever.

14. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah I would like to see a "games" app by Apple, in which you can store all your games... Kind of like the iPod app on the iPhone

15. Which brings up another problem with the current firmware. What if you want to remove a game that you don't want to play for a while, but want to keep your saved data for that game for when you want it back on? You can't. Once removed, your saved game is no more, and you will have to start again from scratch next time you put it back on. We should be able to store our saved games within iTunes too.

16. BlueGenome

BlueGenome Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    YES, I completely agree !

17. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Hmm but why are you deleting a game you actually like to play?

18. You could think a games the best game in the world. But no-one plays the same game forever. There's bound to be a point where you have got all your 9 pages filled up and you are looking to free up space- you think "I love 'Eat Bunny Eat', but haven't played it in such a long time- I'll remove it to save space but keep it in iTunes for when I want it back on". But when you do, your highscore of 423 carrots goes down the pan.
    My comment about removing a game you want to keep the save data for refers to the fact that most users devices are gonna get pretty stuffed full of apps, and sooner or later they will have to look at saving space.
    At the moment when it comes to saving space by removing apps, you are basically forced to remove apps that don't have saved data, or at least have saved data you don't mind losing. And that's not good enough.

19. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    If you are willing to jailbreak, download ''categories'' from Cydia and that lets you put stuff into folders.