Universal Warlords of Aternum (by InnoGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by KeKhan, Aug 15, 2016.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Congrats on the Pikes, how come you spent so much upgrading them though? I will upgrade them as spares to use when a unit is down but otherwise they look the same having the same abilities as the starter pikes. I know some other units have different abilities though some of them I really want after going through reading them all.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I had a metric f-ton of spare upgrade stuff, and enough XP potions to boost them to lvl 6. That added up pretty quick ;) And I'm not even done yet, need at least another 3k just for the lvl 6 upgrades I still have left.
    Yeah, I went a bit overboard with that. But on the other hand I get quite a few stages with lots of enemy cavalry recently, so I thought another pack of pikes might be handy.

3. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Does this have multiplayer?

Also are the new unit unlocks random, or they the same for everyone... do they unlock in a set order?
    Also are battles/missions on rails... I mean do they appear in the same order for everyone, or do you get to a point where you can choose what mission path you want to follow?

4. V Kuolema

V Kuolema Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Canada
    Is this worth playing in the long run if you don't care much about multiplayer? Also how's the data usage on the game? The biggest issue I have with a lot of these always online games are the amount of data end up burning playing at work.

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    For singleplayer - which it is - it has action - not content, mind you - for a few weeks easily. I expect that I'll lose interest when the monthly suscription is up. For perspective: a month of playing is a lot of mileage for me; even more so when I play a game almost exclusively.
    Data usage: no idea. I only use (and have) Wifi on my Air.

Some more details on gameplay below.

No Multiplayer. PvP is against other players' armies, controlled by game AI. Which is pretty good, by the way.
    First 5 unlocks are during storymode/tutorial.
    After that, it depends on what Shards you get.
    And there are tiers to the units. Higher tiers than the base units have different skills, which are often better to boot. The rows in the Army screen you can treat as said tiers.
    Tutorial is on rails mostly. After that things start to spread out quickly, you have a lot of things to choose from. Mostly where you fight, in what order, and on what goals and playstyle & strategy you focus.

6. V Kuolema

V Kuolema Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Canada
    Ahh, thanks for that!

If someone attacks and defeats your army, do you lose anything? What's to be gained by attacking others?

7. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    You lose nothing and don't even know you were attacked the game just uses your army to fight for you. If you win you get rewards the same as beating a mission plus trophies. Trophies add up and you can't lose them, then there are tiers of chests to win for reaching certain amounts of trophies so it's well worth doing and no downside.

I enjoy the game and think I'll be playing for quite a while. Sure there are things they can do to improve the game but it's fun as is.

Also I don't believe the game uses any data or next to none as I play mainly at home but also when out when I get a chance and it's not even showing on my mobile data useage list.

8. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Yeah one of my units turn blue the moment they reach lv7.
    It's nice to keep playing just to keep upgrading your troops, in order to fight higher level troops.
    You attack others to gain stuff for upgrades and don't lose anything afaik.
    It's a really fun game and I will prolly keep playing for quite some time. It's a really good short burst turn based strategy game.

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #69 Nullzone, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Diamond Division, saving Gold

Looks like I'll give up on getting into Diamond division, the young ones have way more time to play than I do :p
    I currently have 170 trophies, up 43 from yesterday's 127.
    But the lowest score for Diamond is 243 now, up ~40 (or more) from yesterday. The gap is growing, now it's ~70 trophies to ~50 yesterday. And with my limited playtime I won't be able to close it, looks like.

So, unless you can dedicate a lot of playtime to PvP, stopping at Platinum seems a good idea: that level is easy to reach, only took me 3 days of occasional play.

Got a lot of PvE fights to go through, will focus on those instead.

Saving up Gold gets higher priority now:
    - You can unlock 2 Sky Arch slots, for 20k and 50k Gold. Good for when you get another new unit.
    - Have a buffer of 15k+ (level 7) for the Merchant, in case something good comes around.
    - Unlocking areas costs more than 2k now, offset by the unlock time being 12-30h now.
    - 2 units are lvl8 already (and upgraded); and the other 3 close to it, upgrading them will cost a good bunch too.

Also, the Sky Arch doesn't seem to have level limits, so you can send in non-upgraded new units as well. No need to go all out right away and fully upgrade a new unit, like I did yesterday with my Xataka Pikes. As long as you have an Arch spot for them, you can take it slow.

10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I don't think it's that they have more time for pvp it's probably partly that but then also people had the game earlier so have more troops and no downtime plus more areas unlocked for more battles. Mine still says I'm in the platinum league, I don't know if you do need to finish in the top 50 or if you get it anyway at the end of the season of your in the league?

Unlocked my new pike unit today too and have two 2 star units now.

11. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    I'm in platinum too about 40pts behind, gonna try to make it into diamond. For pvp I'm trying my best to crushing all and also try to reroll for tougher battles for higher trophies.

12. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Nah, there are a number of people in lower diamond with only 5/6 regiments. You can click on their names to see what they have. There are a lot of blue troops, though. Hit platinum today. It's pretty easy to do. Not interested in stressing enough to hit diamond. Also got my first 2*, which is nice. Really want guardian passive, so will work on them next.

Playing this fairly casually and having fun with it for now. If it starts feeling like work I will quit playing.

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Like Misguided says, at least in the lower Diamond ranks there are people with low-power armies, some even weaker than mine.
    It's definitely a time issue. While I was at work, the minimum Trophies to get into Diamond when up another 30 points or so. And while I was playing in the evening for a bit and made maybe 10 trophies, it went up another 20 or more.

Platinum League you reach automatically when you have 151 Trophies.
    To get into Diamond you need 151+ as well, but also have to be in the top 50.

Just like Misguided I don't want to stress out over it, so I'll just call it a day with Platinum League.
    Instead I'll focus on completing PvE stages to collect more Shards for new units.
    I almost got my King's Guards and Riders of Torga complete. With the Caenfort Archers I got lucky again and got 3 Shards from a Bandit Wagon. Now I only need to complete the 2 areas that give me 2 more each and they are unlocked.

On top of that, I need to save a lot of Gold now, both for upgrading the new units and for unlocking Expedition slots.

My Guards, Pikes and Archers are 2* now; but getting the Riders and Mages there will take some time, they only have 7/20 Shards yet.

@limmyfox: Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

14. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    #74 Misguided, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    @nullzone

Three at 2*? Nice! I got my pikes there yesterday and had a blue pike waiting. Pvp is a time/efficiency thing. The respawn is based on when the last invasion of a group is defeated. I'm not going to let a game run my life. I appreciate that Platinum can be reached with casual play very easily. I also really like that so many of the timers in the game are independent of when you access the thing in question, meaning you don't need to hit stuff precisely when they trigger to keep from delaying the next.

Lucked out with the merchant last night and got a a 5 shard buy for Pikes of Xataka (for 560 gems I think). I already had 6 by happenstance so I grabbed it and now have my 6th unit.

For those that aren't there yet, getting the 6th unit unlocks Sky Arch. This lets you send units on away missions of up to 16 hours that give XP, items/upgrades and up to 500xp for the units you send (initially only one available, but more open with usage and gold).

15. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I know what your all saying the game won't run my life either I'm just playing because it's fun and I'm happy just getting up to where I have in pvp as I don't have the time to compete leaderboard wise.

On my 3rd 2 star blue and 1 shard away from my 4th but the mages still have a way to go yet. Half way to unlocking about 4 more units now too although that'll probably still take a while.

Getting stronger doesn't really make you feel stronger as you just get even stronger pve and pvp opponents anyway.

16. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Thanks for the info nullzone

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks ;) And no problem, I enjoy writing stuff like this when I have the time for it.

18. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    Seems like I rely on my mage a lot, he's my highest blue and 2s and he usually manages to 1shot the other team w his aoe in the last rd of crushing (someone always dies as a distraction though).
    Yeah focusing on pvp has hindered my pve so I'm still stuck w 5 army. I don't have that much time to play both lol as pve is plenty battles on its own, especially when you're planning hard on trying to crushing.
    I also try to finish grubak, trut and brigand island whenever the timer refreshes. Gives out good stuff!

19. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Lol, I SUCK at keeping my mages alive.

20. Kour

Kour Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Why does this game keep telling me to connect to wifi in order to play? It won't work on normal 4G?