Warhammer Quest [Universal] - May 30th

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JoeyLP, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Hmm is it in February's issue or march? I just bought feb issues on Friday but haven't got around to reading it yet :eek:

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I do not know, can't see from the scans.
    On 23 Feb they tweeted 'this month number'.

3. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Must buy as both a Warhammer and a Hunters fan!

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Me too...Hunters 2 is still my GOTY 2012 (almost 100 hours put in) and I'm a Warhammer fan.

Can't wait for WHQ...April seems THE MONTH.

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
  6. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
  7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #27 Ayjona, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    While “best” is inescapably subjective, and something anyone is entitled to feel about any engine :), their tactical engine is one of the most limited of all TBS games (both in general, and on the platform), in terms of tactical options, depth and breadth.

Luckily, this easily measurable, as to avoid subjective polemics. On any given turn, a unit in the current implementation of Rodeo's tactical engine has the option to move, fire or enter overwatch/guard. Furthermore, there are almost no situational modifiers besides range and hard cover that affect these actions.

(Unless some innovative or bizarre element is relied upon to add an element of skill, such as Squid's slingshot mechanism, unit actions/abilities, unit statistics/attributes/passive elements and situational modifiers are what traditionally constitute gameplay variety and depth in turn-based games, and what offers possibilities for different tactics and victory through intellectual effort. These three aspects of gameplay are the foundation for TBS mechanics, and without scope and width, and without other added skill-based mechanisms, a pure TBS simply cannot offer tactical depth.)

A quick comparison to other popular TBS titles for the platform (say, FFT, Ravenmark, RAD Soldiers and Tactical Soldier) reveals a considerable disparity in the number of tactical choices, in some cases in situational modifiers, and the resulting strategies. Even UniWar, a classic from the primordial mists of iOS gaming, has more stats for units, more situational modifiers (usually through terrain), at least a few unique abilities for some units, and as a result more tactical considerations and choice. Something similar holds true for Hero Academy and Outwitters.

Even some seemingly less popular TBS games (Time of Heroes), or games on the fringe of the definition of "TBS" (Summoner Wars, Squids franchise) offers more choice for each single unit, as well as more choices in terms of overall strategy, in some cases.

The talent trees and weapon stats of Hunters I and II adds complexity and luckily expands the tactical considerations, but does not really offer more variety in actual combat.

That is not to say what is there in Hunter I/II isn't very polished, and that Rodeo will not make a terrific port of WQ (in particular if they step away from their Hunter paradigm and implement multiple tactical options and abilities for units, something I hope the mechanics of the board game will enforce). And perhaps a series of highly unlikely circumstances will result in Rodeo actually reading this post, and deciding to beat me over the head with the most intricate and sophisticated TBS ever seen next time around ;) (which is kinda the point of this frothing, foaming rant).

I also have high hopes, but where tactical depth is concerned, these hopes unfortunately exist in spite of Rodeo's former releases, not because of them.

8. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    ^space hulk is being made by full tilt (the tactical soldier guys)

And personally I love the hunters 2 game for making everything streamlined and easier to play and understand.
    I'll be real happy with a gamesworkshop skinned hunters engine :D
    But who knows, well have to wait and see what there doing.

9. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Not sure on the rules about posting this, but I'll post it anyway and if its not allowed someone can tell me and I'll remove it.
    Here's the interview from this months White Dwarf magazine.

Attached Files:

10. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    And the other page

Not sure why there sideways on but that's the best I can do with my ipad camera

Attached Files:

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I can't access to the magazine anyway so it's appreciated.
    The dev himself posted the scans too, so I guess they are OK.

I would like to see better the shots :)

How do you like them?

12. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Do you want close ups of the text or the pics?

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    You are too kind!
    The screenshots!
    I already somewhat read the article thanks to the dev scans.

14. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Here's one

Attached Files:

15. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    One more

Attached Files:

16. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    One last one,
    There two more one of the world map and one of what looks like a full 3d town which it's says is where you do your shopping And stuff.

Edit: it's hard trying to take the pics without the light shining on it :confused:

Attached Files:

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks!!!!
    They look GORGEOUS.
    Tons of details....

Hype rising.

18. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    No prob, the pics don't do them much justice in the actual mag they look better.
    Can't wait for this to hit the store its looking fantastic, I just went and bought this months mag to see and read the interview :D
    It sounds like there doing a good job bringing the gamesworkshop licence to a game. Which makes a change from some of the crap that's been released with the warhammer name over the years.

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Recent Warhammer Quest screenshots, in full retina glory.

THAT DETAIL!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    I take it your not a pc gamer.