Universal Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower (by Perchang)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    #41 Jstorm, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    2031B042-F90D-4E37-B5B6-8BF1C42F24E4.jpeg
    This image describes my feeling far better than my writing.

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    It's almost as if the cost of making games has gone up exponentially over the past 20 years but gamers have been resistant to pay more for games so developers have had to go out and find other ways to make up the difference.

aconfusedkender and JasonLL like this.
  3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Welp, doesn’t matter too much to me. They’ve lost me as one of those gamers. Plenty of premium games still coming down the pipeline. Too many for me to even play.

Best of luck to the devs with their new model.

4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Well I just spent some time with it and I find the controls and combat system lacking. You have no idea about the los with your ranged hero and there just seems to be nothing to it...seems like hardly any active or passive skills seems like all the RPG is gone from warhammer and it’s just a gatcha hero and weapon machine....a repetitive one at that with the lack of heroes, skills and tactical options.

Talbs and Alex DeLargest like this.
  5. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Ok so i will beat again on what everyone has said and then make a new poiunt and fully expand it.
    So first, this is an awful model for me. I gladly pay up to 10€ for an ios game if it is good. So this freemium thing is something that eludes me...
    Second, always onLine? Pfft yeah right... not! I hate games that put that crap up.
    I played about 3 missions and got bored. Nothing new comparing to previous games In terms of gameplay. Move around and atk, maybe use some skills, and that is it. What is new is bad like the always online and the freemium part.

now for the thing that no one has mentioned and that i find incredible.
    Perchang goes with warhammer quest the silver tower, well there is a board game with that name. So first thing that i thought was “great, i will be able to play it on ios, instead of setting it up, etc”
    It could not be farther from the truth..
    Warhammer quest silver tower the boardgame is wonderful in terms of game play. You roll some dice and then the real fun begins because you have to allocate them according to your party’s skills and such, because different skills might need different results. Then there is the explorations, the skills tests, the flavour and fun.

this just feels like a gatcha adaptation of generic “warhammer quest” why did you call it the silver tower? Why give it the same name as the board game if you are not using its mechanics? it is soooo disappointing. Just call it the ancient tower, the forgotten tower, the whatever you wanna call it tower, but don’t put a boardgame’s name there if you are not going to use it! It is frustrating and irritating.

6. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honestly, I think I have the same problem. If they want to make a ftp gacha Warhammer game, cool, I hope it makes them money with that audience.

But Warhammer Quest is a particular “thing” among WH fans. I expect a mobile version of the board game, or at least something inspired by it.

JasonLL and cyllwynn like this.
  7. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    This is feeling pretty bad, but I’m trying to make a go of it.

Is there absolutely no way to earn summoning stones short of account level up awards at some levels? ( and IAP of course )?

8. McDeathUK

McDeathUK Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    Already deleted. Was excited when I saw early trailers, but this is a soul-less mockery compared to the first two WQ games which may have been cumbersome but felt like atmospheric RPG based on the board game.. very disappointed

9. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I’ve deleted it, but going to watch for updates. I think if you add a way to deal with duplicates that would go a long way. Getting duplicates in WHQ2 was a god send as they could be cashed in and often had decent gear to loot.

10. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I think you get 10 for completing daily? Quests.

11. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Actually, the standard game price has increased over the 20 years.

If I remember correctly, the said price was $39.99 about 20 years ago, increased to $49.99 at some time, and $59.99 nowadays. While every time the price increased, gamers complained, but accepted at the end.

So, the same could of been done for the WQ:ST. Just increase the IAP price of each character, instead of a gambling system with no use of low rarity duplicates.

12. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I bought Hunters, Hunters 2, Warhammer Quest, Warhammer Quest 2. Those are among my favorites in the genre, and have never left my devices.

I'm not keen on firing up a gacha style game piggybacking off the name of some of the games that I've really enjoyed.

Maybe this is unfair on my part, but the first thing I was reminded of when I saw this was the abomination of a game "Dungeon Keeper" that EA unleashed on the iPhone in an attempt to hook steady spenders though their sense of nostalgia.

Does your game have timers as well as premium consumable currency? If so, hard pass.

And that was something I enjoyed, although I admit I would have preferred the more open levels of the Hunters series; at least the room to room allowed me to develop a strategy of how to advance.

Be honest. If you wanted people to do that, you wouldn't have used the Warhammer Quest name, would you? You would have called it something else.

I may take a look at this game, but I expect to lose interest quickly, particularly if the push to spend money is strong with this one.

If the ads are as pervasive as some of the other comments are saying, that's a fast out for me. Especially if there isn't a "remove Ads" option somewhere in those iAPs. If a dev makes a $100 currency iAP, but not a "Remove Ads" option, that's something I won't support.

---

... the federal minimum wage hasn't, so the majority of consumers/customers are being left in the dust when it comes to their buying power, yet they can be squeezed drop by drop through iAPs, microtransactions, and subscriptions. It reminds me of the rental schemes that seemed to take off in the 80s and 90s; "Why save up to pay $400 for a TV when you can get one NOW for as little as $20 per month?!" Death by 1000 paper cuts.

13. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i'm not suprised by all this mess, never completely trusted in a new Rodeo/Perchang game after WHQ2 (sorry to its fans, but in my opinion it was already a garbage), so i don't care if this is good or not, besides i'm very busy, like never before on another iOS game, re-playing the main campaign of Neverwinter Nights EE (just played the original version back in its days), imho a truly beautiful work by Beamdog guys (all their ports are sublime)... then there will come new adventures in both the original exp packs + a bunch of lesser adventures all for free... not bad... and finally i'll begin new quests in the paid expansions pack, all at reasonable prices, ie money well spent!

$100??? :D:D:D

subgenius likes this.
  14. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    To be fair, Warhammer Quest, and Warhammer Quest Silver Tower is the name of the board game the game is based on, not something Rodeo/Perchang came up with. It’s surprising Games Workshop allowed the use of the exact same name as the board game though.

15. subgenius

subgenius Well-Known Member

May 30, 2014
    #55 subgenius, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Of course, no need to be jerks about it I agree. It's just disappointing to see the fall of one of my favorite developers. The Hunters 2 got played until I unlocked absolutely everything, WHQ1 was a masterpiece and Deathwatch is still one of my all-time favorites despite the RNG aspect with the card packs. The way they handled things here though? It's not about making money to keep a studio open with some clever strategies to monetize (Riot games!!!! So much better!!!!), it's about turning a game into a slot machine. There are ways to do F2P right and I'll support them, but this absolutely ain't it.

I hope we haven't scared the devs away from the thread by now, but it's not too late to salvage things!!! The core of the game seems really good, but your monetisation scheme is horrible. Rethink it (and even better, include an option where we can pay a flat fee to unlock a bunch of it) and I for one will happily change the review I left on the app store.

16. subgenius

May 30, 2014
    It's REEEEEEALY stingy as far as I can see. I did all of the available daily quests yesterday and went through the power 16+ tower levels to get to lv6, and I have 240/250 stones. I think one epic chest gave me 50, and the daily mission looks like it's worth 10.

We'll see how it goes today, but that burns through a lot of the early rewards and I still am playing only with my original two heroes. It doesn't show how rewards scale with levels 11+, but I can only assume it will take a ton of scrolls to get them anyway.

So yeah.... a gacha game where pretty much the only way to unlock heroes (and randomly at that!!!) is to whale out. I have no idea how anyone can defend this setup with a straight face.

Collin likes this.
  17. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    They've gone up, but not in line with the costs of development. $40 was only ever a price during the 8-bit era, and $30-40 was pretty typical for handheld consoles like GBA or PSP. There were exceptions, but the norm since the 90s was $50 on consoles. It jumped to $60 with PS3 and X360. But that's also the gen where costs really exploded with bigger teams and more expensive tools needed to make games that pushed the tech, which is what gamers wanted.

This gen that's ending now realistically should have been the $100 per game gen but nobody would have gone for it. They found a way around that with season passes and DLC. You didn't HAVE to buy those things and could just enjoy the base $60 game, but most people did which would bump the cost of the game up to $100 or more without outright seeming like you were being charged $100 for it.

The whole thing is untenable, which is why we're seeing the push into subscription gaming and games as services with Fortnite style season passes.

ANYHOO, perhaps something like a WQ 2 model but just increasing prices of the DLC could have worked, but honestly the number of people who are willing to pay for stuff on mobile is practically zero, and you just can't put the future of your entire business into hoping enough people MIGHT buy the stuff you're selling. It sucks, and I'm not at all a fan of where mobile or console gaming is at nowadays, but I at least understand the reasons we are where we are.

JasonLL and stubbieoz like this.
  18. subgenius

May 30, 2014
    Well, I went back today after missions and quests refreshed and got my last 10 stones to finally unlock another character. Got a 3 star chaos fighter guy that's cool I guess, but now am back down to 0/350 stones. So it'll be about a month before I get to unlock another character...

F2P gouging aside, it seems like the game mechanics all revolve around preventing the enemy from ever getting into melee range and then instakilling everything with crits. Vs tougher opponents, none of your characters will survive even a round once contact is made thanks to the deathwish mechanic combined with the huge crit damage everyone can throw down. More or less 1 turn kills for all your enemies and all your fighters.

Maybe there's more to this game, but they've hidden all progress so deeply behind the paywall that I have little incentive to grind forward and find out. Major missed opportunity with this game. I'm done unless they make some changes.

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    “the core of the game seems really good”. Huh? F2P structure aside, this is also possibly the most boring, one dimensional game I have tried. It pays nearly zero homage to the real board game mechanics which is way more interesting than this, yet it is called exactly as the board game is!?
    I mean, this game is basically not the facade it sets itself up to be, and then it’s entirely blatantly obvious that it wants to charge for weak gameplay as well.

20. McDeathUK

McDeathUK Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    the first 2 WQ games felt like you were playing the board game, pieces of dungeon added as you went through the quest, the cards with items, the general feel.. WQ:ST is NOT a Warhammer quest game,.. at all, its just another gatcha mockery that I will not be drawn into

To be fair, WQ1 I enjoyed more than WQ2, but this game.. reminds me of the new D&D game.. warriors of waterdeep.. its a title and brand tacked onto a game that has f**k all to do with the subject matter