Universal Warhammer Quest - (by Rodeo Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 29, 2013.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    WQ is very easy to get into, but you could always start with Dark Quest if you haven't already played it, as that can be thought of as a simpler sort of "poor man's WQ".

DQ: [​IMG]

WQ: [​IMG]

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Look a few pages back. There were several good responses to this question. In fact, thanks to those that explained the differences. Sounds great and can't wait to get my hands on it

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Yeah, it's similar to Game of Thrones TV series theme.

Too bad they didn't show in the trailer how you see your party moving on the map.
    It's a very cool effect imho (I won't spoil it).

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Thanks Appletini. :) I do have Dark Quest and I think I manage well with it. It's just that...I dunno...WQ seems a little intimidating for someone who's not really into the genre and on top of that, isn't familiar with the Warhammer universe, lore, etc. etc. etc. Believe me when I say I've spent more than $5 on absolute rubbish on the App Store, so even if it takes a little getting used to, you guys are saying WQ's easy to get into...I'll take my chances with those $5. :)

6. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    To be clear, that's only iPhone 3G & earlier / iPod touch 2G & earlier, both of which are 2008 models and were capped at running iOS 4.2.1 anyhow. There is nothing but the developers themselves making the call about whether or not to support iOS 5 at this point, Apple has no restrictions currently.

On the other hand, the only sort of semi-recent devices anyone is likely to have that won't run iOS 6 are the 3rd gen touch (4 years old at this point) and first gen iPad (over 3 years old at this point). There's not much reason to not require iOS 6 since the percentage of customers who genuinely can't upgrade (not those who won't for whatever idiosyncratic reason ;)) is shrinking daily, and limiting it to iOS 6 greatly reduces QA cost and time.

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    With everything else about WQ looking so splendidly fine, what I'd like to know is just how much tactical variety there is to the combat mechanics. Is the ruleset and the mechanics the same as in the board game (which would answer my question, for good and for a pinch of bad)?

In Hunters 1/2, movement, attack and overwatch were all the options available at any given moment, which, together with almost no situational or terrain modifiers besides range and hard cover, leads to a distinct lack of variety and depth to combat (as opposed to the quite nice variety of equipment and character evolution).

I'm hoping that WQ drastically diverges from this formula, in spite of using the same engine.

Also, here's to the hope that Warhammer Quest for iOS grows to include the purpose of the original product: the possibility to play with friends. Preferably asynchronously. With the strangely stubborn lack of co-operative async games with persistent progression, WQ has the potential fill an all but empty space in the iOS gaming scene, and realize the vision Pocket Heroes never saw to fruition.

8. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I'd also like to know how it plays on a iPhone or touch . The text looked kind of small on Sanuku's vid . I hope it's legible on the 'smaller' devices ..

12 freakin hours to go :( why do we not have transporters , flying cars , and time machines yet ? :)

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

We have. You only need to visit Warehouse 23, Area 51, USA.

10. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Yes, Warhammer QUEST, not Warhammer Fantasy battles (so you won't have any of the modifiers you are asking for later).
    There are things that modifiy the usual skills (like getting drunk, injured, poisoned, pinned....)

While you have many things that add variety in comparison to Hunters 2 (like spells and objects) I would say no (I prefer it so...the thing I liked most about Hunters is how easy to get in it was, but it's just me).

As much as I would love it...I'm not sure it would be feasible with how they implemented some of the boardgame rules (for instance now you are free to take movements/skills/using objects at will in any order, even mixed...in an async game you would be restrained to take a whole turn indipendently one after another, or it would take too long).
    Plus, it would take ages (not a problem for me but they would do smaller and more streamlined dungeons imho).
    But we will see....

11. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah but it'd be pretty cool if they could implement async co-op multiplayer, especially if one other person could be the DM!!!

12. phrantik13

phrantik13 Active Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Game center support?

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, I am well aware of the difference :) The terrain and situational modifiers was something that would have been at home in Hunters, or possibly a drastic remake of WQ (which I was NOT hoping for, by the way), hence their inclusion in my post.

But the few conditions you mention are actually a few examples of modifiers that serve to expand tactical considerations in comparison to Hunters.

It's probably not just you ;) Those of us who count The Ravenmark Saga and FFT among our all-time TBS and iOS favourites, but still wish there was just a small sprinkling of additional complexity even to those two titles (oh, to see those long-lost terrain factors return in Ravenmark: Mercenaries), are probably a very limited and quite weird minority ;)

But spells and objects, hear hear, that something, at least! Yer having me lean towards a purchase, in spite of everything.

Yeah, I can see how those implementations could collide with an async protocoll. But also, luckily, how they could be worked around with only some minor encumbrance and user-unfriendliness ;)

But judging from your explanation, and taking into account the nature of Rodeo Games, we probably should not get our hopes up. Good thing this package already look so very enticing...

14. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Don't get me wrong, I loved to bits both FFT and Ravenmark (I've still nightmares about those frogs) but this is just a different type of game.

Well...I read that they will evaluate the thing in Summer somewhere...so it is not completely out...maybe a next product, who knows?

15. SirFobos

SirFobos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Police Officer
    Kansas City
    Can't get here soon enough. Buying everything tonight (owner of orig board game). If you told me 20 years ago I will be lying in bed playing warhammer quest on my phone I'm sure my head would have exploded lol hopefully the witch hunter and bretonian knight are released soon as well. Waaaargh!

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Quoting!!!
    I can't belive I hold the Old World in my hands, slashing Orcs and Skavens.
    Sooooooo many memories.

Whenever I saw my Marauder injuring or even killing my Gray Wizard because of RAGE, so many mamories come alive (back in the days a friend of mine used to be GLUED to my Marauder a$$ all the time).

Two friends of mine, NON GAMERS, are buying an iPad just for this (one already had).
    They didn't tell this to wife, but still....we spent togheter part of our youth playing.

17. Deadpan

Deadpan Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    These guys are getting impatient now...

Attached Files:

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Fantastic :)

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Coolbeans!

Cant wait for this now!

20. Mysticpete

Mysticpete Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Just need to know two things; final install size and does it work on ipod touch 4G?
    Thanks