Universal Warhammer Quest - (by Rodeo Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 29, 2013.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    While the underlying engine is familiar, the actual gameplay elements, characters, items, enemies, environments and wider "world" of the game are all very much Warhammer Quest-specific and have an identity of their own that is more than just cosmetic; they're not just rethemed clones of Hunters assets.

WQ isn't quite this:

[​IMG]

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    LOL!!!
    That is fantastic!!!!

3. Mysticpete

Mysticpete Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Installed size?

it around 800mb download size i read but can anyone verify what the final install size comes out to be?

4. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    What time in asia is this gonna released on US app store cause i'm excited to buy for it!!!

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #65 LordGek, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
    Powerful hypothetical artist rendering there, Appletini! :D

6. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Hey, it's me again!
    Of course, thanks for the info

How are the enemies smart?

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Yes.
    While you can replay main quests dungeons (the red ones, which are fixed in some parts) the white ones (the ones you can enter travelling between settlements) are random in the objective, baddies placement, tiles used and such.

You can find a 4 rooms dungeon, or a 15 rooms one with junctions, dead ends and tons of bad things inside.
    All have the always random encounters scaled to your level (so if you replay a level 1 red dungeon at level 6, you aren't really guaranteed to survive if you are ambushed, expecially in hardcore mode).

Generally the white quests are scaled to your level, while the red ones have some adviced requirement.
    Consider the black ones the final ones, and the more deadly.

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well...Orcs aren't really known for their smartness, as the beast critters...they just come to kill you, but Skaven Shamans are more cunning, using always the right spells to buff up their killers, or just terminate my exposed party member, and always when he is impossibile to be saved.
    Some enemies, instead of attacking the most obvious target in front of them, aim for the less obvious but more sensible (like the archer or the caster behind).

That or just bad luck :)

Consider that manouver space is not a lot.

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Too cool! Does the game track any sort of career stats? What is the penalty for getting your party wiped out in a run?

10. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Early impressions (early as in, tutorial and first quest):

This is awesome. Absolutely freaking awesome.

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #71 Pitta, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
    I know you are maniacal about stats :) but I do not think the game track them down as you would (not sure tough, never checked).
    There is a very cool journal that is updated everytime you first encounter an enemy (and achivements when you have met all types of them in each category), but I'm not sure it would do for you.
    There is level, which is obtained by killing monsters (at the end of each dungeon you get in a graphical way how many kills every character did) or aiding companions and then you must pay for some training in settlements to actually level up and gain new skills (random).

Penalty for a failed dungeon in normal mode (everyone killed or you just exit it before reaching the end) is no experience at all.
    I'm not sure but I THOUGHT you lose even eventually used objects (which is a big loss).
    Or maybe I'm just messing things up with the hardcore mode (dead is dead, along with every object the dead man possessed).
    In hardcore if you made it through a dungeon with just one surviving character, you lose the other characters, their objects and everything used from the stash.
    And many tears too.
    In hardcore you can't exit a dungeon via menu as in normal mode.
    You will survive or be dead, no other choices.

12. Bronxsta

You're playing on iPhone 4? Are the visuals downgraded in any way? Any lag or performance issues?

Any other impressions besides "absolutely freaking awesome"? (But that is great news by itself)

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Pitta, since you're the resident expert on this, I have to ask: As someone who knows next to nothing on how to play TBS games (and I haven't played either of the Hunters games), would you say the "Casual" mode is accessible for me to get into?

14. Mysticpete

Nov 26, 2012
    it around 800mb download size i read but can anyone verify what the final install size comes out to be?

15. Mysticpete

Nov 26, 2012
    Ipod touch 4G compatible?

Also, since it a hefty 5 bucks can anyone tell me whether it will play on ipod touch 4G? and if so how well it plays on it
    Thanks!

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well...this is tricky.
    Which kind of games do you like?
    Do you want to appreach the genre with this title?
    Does the setting appeal to you?
    I think that one thing (out of many) Rodeo Games do very well is optimizing and streamlining...so I think one plus of their titles is that their are very accessible.
    There is a very well done tutorial too.
    But really I can't know if this could be your cup of tea, nor if you could like it.

I would think that the easy mode could be very accessible to get a taste of these games, but I can't be sure.

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Are the IAP characters premium heroes with overpowered abilities or should they be considered a part of the standard game? Is it necessary to purchase the IAP characters or do you start with sufficient rooster/classes to enjoy the experience? I don't understand what would make one class be IAP and another standard.

18. Bronxsta

Well the first Hunters is only 0.99 right now. Don't know if you have $$ to spare but maybe you could get it, see if you like it

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This is what i want to know. I want the extra characters to be balanced, and not a way to bash your way through the game, but more of giving you more variety in ways to finish the game.

Like... will one of the IAP characters allow me to stealth through about 90% of the game? Will one of the characters allow me to complete the game as a junkie? Coz i know i did that in Fallout 2 :D

20. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    It's an historical reason...maybe Games Workshop (the rights holder) had some words about this too.

The characters are alla equivalent, no one is more powerful than the others...it just come down to personal preference.
    I hate clerics in fantasy games, so I'll buy the character just to show support, but I won't probably use it (even if I must admit it's cool...seems a templar sometimes).

As for the historical thing.
    When first published...the boardgame came with the 4 initial characters.
    It was just waaaaaaaaaaaaaay later they published new miniatures (with their skills and everything).
    This is a videogame...but FOR SURE the boardgame lovers would have asked (as they did in specialized forums) for new characters...so Rodeo made them avaible too.
    I'm personally waiting for the Witch Hunter and the Bretonnian Knight, if they decide to do them.
    These 'iaps' are just replicating those miniatures published in the course of the years.

They are by no means necessary or something.

I'll buy them all, but I'll problably replay the whole game starting tonight with the first 4 characters.