Universal Warhammer Quest - (by Rodeo Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 29, 2013.

1. Hajuken

Hajuken Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Behind You
    Apparently the Talisman of Power bug still exists.. It only works occasionally even when I have winds of magic leftover in a battle..

2. mcrawford620

mcrawford620 Member

Feb 16, 2014
    I really liked Warhammer Quest but haven't played it for a while now. What other games are similar to it?
    What I liked about it:
    - permanent characters, leveling up
    - turn-based (no real-time action for me)
    - simple mechanics
    - good graphics
    - easy :)

Any suggestions?

I did play Hunters 2 for a while and couldn't get into it at all. I wasn't attached to the characters and didn't like the visual style and it seemed much harder over all. (It was a while ago, I could be wrong.)

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Heroes of steel
    Dark quest

4. mcrawford620

mcrawford620 Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Thanks, will check them out!

5. chadwerd

chadwerd Member

Oct 16, 2012
    If I purchase a character via IAP, can I take more than 4 party members into a dungeon? Am I always stuck with just four at a time?

6. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Yeah, the max is always 4 party members at a time. The additional characters are best if you like to alternate who you bring in, or if you play hardcore since it's good to have replacements when someone kicks the bucket.

7. roth

roth New Member

Nov 7, 2014
    I think this game is fantastic and I've learned a huge amount about it in this forum. Because I was logging in so much time on my wife's ipad (I had worked the original four warrior-types up to level 8 without leaving Stirland on Hardcore), I picked up a used one just to play it without keeping her from using hers.

The amount of money for the extra tile sets, regions and characters was not a deterrent, so I bought all of them to start fresh on the new ipad.

A few observations:

1) Once I got the Undead tile set, the game seems now to default to that set, even in Stirland (which I have not yet left with my new warband). It is rare that I any longer see the original tile set except on the red quests.

2) A consequence of this is that many of the rooms are much, much longer, so the odds of being ambushed while trying to get through the room become greater. Moreover, there are more obstacles in the undead rooms, so combat becomes marginally more complicated. You can't always get to a warrior who needs healing provisions.

3) Regardless of how a Quest is labeled (eg, Orcs and Goblins, Critters, etc.) undead are a virtual certainty to show up (again, not so far in the pre-scripted Red Quests).

I have been using the playing style that another contributor tried -- sending my four weakest warriors on whatever I selected as the next quest -- in order to keep all of them relatively equal. Money was tight, but things were going along just fine. A few quests ago I had enough gold to level the Witch Hunter -- who has been an absolute monster -- up to level 3.

Then today I chose my 4 weakest (in terms of experience points) warriors -- the Warrior Priest, the Ogre Irongut, the Shadow Warrior and the Grey Wizard. Each was Level 2, about halfway or more toward being Ready for Training to Level 3. I had been grinding, so everybody had extra blue equipment. The Shadow Warrior and Grey Wizard were really beginning to come into their own. The quest was "Rescue the Blacksmith", which I had won handily before with the warband on my wife's ipad (which did NOT have the Undead Tile Set).

This Quest turned out to be an absolute killer. I was incredibly well-stocked with healing and protective items -- nearly every inventory slot was filled with these, and I had learned inventory management and replenishment techniques, I thought, quite well.

Maybe I got an incredible succession of unfavorable die rolls. The number of ambushes was phenomenal (this on level 2, mind you). The rooms were gigantic. I made the wrong choice at a junction and had a huge distance to backtrack. Then, once on the right path, there were again a huge succession of enormous rooms. My health inventory was becoming depleted and I still hadn't reached the objective room. I was getting evil slime or ooze multiple (well, 2) times on the same turn, and they all were doing damage.

Eventually, I entered a room with a fair number of zombies and my first Vampire Thrall. We managed to defeat them in a couple of turns when the party got ambushed with a whole new set of Zombies and -- here's the kicker -- a Necromancer and skeleton archers from 3 LONG ROOMS AWAY (I'd never seen this more than 2 rooms away). The Necromancer never missed getting 2 or three power every turn. He used his spells to make 1-2 of my warriors either vanish or go down every turn. He resurrected everybody I'd previously killed and then some (including the Vampire Thrall). Somehow or another, once he got on the scene, all his boys were inflicting heavy damage on my guys who are trying traverse 3 rooms to get to the bad guys.

I've read here that the White Quests scale to the level of warriors that actually enter the dungeon. In this case, that ought to have been level 2, or maybe 2.5. So my question is, are we sure about that? Even allowing for an unbelievable number of the computer's random "die rolls" going against me, the level of force brought against me was something I've seen only once before (on the Stirland Black Quest), and wholly excessive for such low level character. I'm thinking that the computer saw that one member of the warband, the Witch Hunter, was level 3, so it geared the quest to level 3 even though those who actually entered the dungeon hadn't reached level 3 yet.

I'm prepared to admit that the Necromancer's capabilities were staggering, moreso when it would have taken my warriors 5-6 turns of movement to get to him physically, even if they didn't have to fight their ways to him. He just shrugged off such magic as I could bring to bear and arrows only hit him once. I'll have to learn how to deal with that, but I'm now wondering whether my other Level 2 warriors are likely to face the same nightmare. Do we have a clue whether there's some trigger in the basic program that effectively says, "This guy's managing to beat the game system and getting too uppity. Let's take him down a notch whatever we have to do?"

Thanks. Sorry for the length of the post.

8. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I miss this game, I'd love a Warhammer quest 2

9. roth

roth New Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Can I Uninstall the Undead Tile Set?

Follow-up to my long post above --

I am now inclined to uninstall the Undead Tile Set. To do that, do I have to uninstall the entire game and then re-install it with everything I want except the Undead set?

Alternatively, can someone tell me how to beat the Necromancer Apprentice(s) with Level 2 warriors? I have beaten them, though with great difficulty, in the early stages of dungeons, when they typically appear no more than 2 rooms behind me. But so far, when I get to the objective room (or one of the the rooms just before) they come after me. In each of these cases, the Necromancer's location has been at least 3 very long rooms (or corridors) behind me. I am always ambushed, which means my magic-users have zero power. They, of course, are the first targets of the Necromancer Apprentice, and he rarely seems to miss either taking them down or causing them to vanish. It appears that he may also add a positive modifier to the roll to ambush, because successive waves of junk -- mostly critters -- continue to surround (and pin) and whittle at me while the Necromancer Apprentice additionally resurrects hordes of skeletons along with the occasional Vampire Thrall and additional Necromancer Apprentices.

I would object to none of this, except it is far too overpowering for level 2 warriors. At least to mine.

Do the undead continue to scale up so far in excess of the warband's level? If so, that becomes kind of a game killer, especially since the undead appear to show up in every dungeon, regardless of who are listed as being the enemies in a quest. I guess I could try to design a tailored anti-undead warband, but I had hoped to try to keep all the warriors leveled up equally, which means I sometimes have to use warriors who are less adept against the undead.

Thanks

10. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I just finished lair of the Orc lord. It was a bit of trouble.
    I think it's a shame they are not making any more expansions for this game, not making use of wissenland there.

11. stubbyoz

stubbyoz Member

Sep 12, 2014
    I see that WHQ is being released on Steam for pc on 7th Jan.
    I wont be getting it because Rodeo Games has ignored pleas in the past from iPad uses to give us an option for an inventory button and I simply refuse to rotate my 27" monitor every time I want to access my inventory!

12. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Pretty sure that inventory debacle wont be in the PC version. Just saying...

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Lol... I thought he was being funny. At least i found it funny. :)

14. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I thought it was funny too.

15. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Me too… :)

16. abstractcolors215

abstractcolors215 Active Member

Sep 12, 2013
    USA
    #3996 abstractcolors215, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    An Exceptional Game

I love these kinds of games, & Warhammer Quest is def one of my favs! The music, the atmosphere, they work so well for this game. I think the game plays wonderfully, except theres one little thing: I had started a game in casual mode.. :p Its WAY too easy! Theres no challenge! They meant it when they said casual. Next time I play(and I will be playing this one ALOT), I will be starting in Adventurer mode. It'll be so fun when I play it on a more challenging setting, the way I like my games! :) ..I guess when it said casual, I figured there would be a small amount of challenge, enough for my first playthru, get to know the game, but WoW. No challenge AT ALL.

17. abstractcolors215

abstractcolors215 Active Member

Sep 12, 2013
    USA
    That would be Gauntlet! I used to play that all the time, I liked it alot!! :)

18. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    #3998 kurtalb1, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    I know this is off topic, but there is a game called "Crowntakers" that I think many of you may find interesting. It's a party based rogue-like with a boardgame feel to it. Unlockable mercenaries (hire-able party members) with unlockable tiers of character builds, random location setup each game and random loot. Can be difficult in the beginning, but I've been playing it non-stop for over a week and have had a blast. There are some bugs, but the developers have been quick with fixes. This game has gotten little hype and I just wanted to bring to people's attention. There is a forum for it on TA.

19. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    That actually looks really interesting. I've been looking for a game similar to WQ to play on my windows tablet (I have WQ on iOS). Any idea if touch controls are supported?

20. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    It is available on Steam for PC and iOS (Ipad only). I play it exclusively on my Ipad and love it. I'm not sure if touch controls are supported for windows tablet. Wish I had better info for you.