Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RodeoBenjamin, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Now that we are discussing savegames:
    Please, no more of that WHQ "you can save your current game only in one slot".
    This is not playerfriendly at all, and e.g. Battlefleet Gothic did it about as wrong as you can get: Only one automatic save-slot, no way to restart a battle or go back in time. I had to restart the BFG campaign 3 times already because my kid distracted me, or decided he wants in on the action and tapped around before I could stop him. Not good at all.

Save anywhere, anytime, in as many slots as I want. Almost anything short of that is just bad design --> i.e. for technical reasons allowing saves only at the start of a turn is much easier to implement, no problem with that.

If hardcore players want to use only one persistent saveslot, give them the *option* to do that, but don't make it the default.

2. Deadpan

Deadpan Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    No questions, I just wanted to say I really hope you make a Necromunda game one day, Van Saar FTW!

Thanks again for taking the time out to come here and satisfy our craving for news :)

3. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

Seconded!!

Cover system + line of sight + reach weapons all sound awesome!!

Also I agree with the save game post. I love the challenge of 'hard core single save' but I also like to have a casual game going where I can save/reload to try new tactics and or setups.

Ben your awesome and the communication to the gaming community is top notch, so once again, thanks.

4. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

Hi Ben,

You have mentioned chaos as being the main enemy during the end times but weren't the shaven also a threat during this time?
    Like I previously said I'm not up to speed with the lore and only going on the game vermintide: the end times.....

Is there any plans on having larger monsters like in death watch?

Also like in hunters/deathwatch is there going to be an 'overwatch' feature as this was missing from the first WQ which if I recall correctly had a chance for counter attacks instead.

In regards to weapons, in the first WQ we had elfs with bows crusader with a bow and eventually the witch hunter with a pistol, are you planning on adding more ranged weapons? Dwarf Flamers and/or crossbows etc.

Cheers

5. RodeoBenjamin

RodeoBenjamin Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Creative Director at Perchang Games
    Guildford
    Hello hello! Back once again with the answers to your questions....well, the stuff we can chat about anyway. Ok, let's dive in...

@Sloany Yes you're correct, Chaos and Skaven are the main threats in the End Times. We've revealed Beastmen as enemies right now, there'll be more news on other enemy types later in the year. Also, large enemies are something we'd like to have in the game. Not 100% sure if they'll make it for launch. Hopefully though.

"Overwatch" is a slightly strange mechanic in how it changes the feel of the game. It won't be there in a "traditional" sense, but your Warriors will have access to skills that "interrupt" the enemy turn. Sorry to be so vague!

Ranged weapons include bows and pistols right now. Also a couple of other surprises. Basically, every Warrior will be able to do ranged attacks if they choose.

@Nullzone, we'll try and accommodate your save game needs. They're a tricky thing to get right. DW didn't have a great system. Once we've settled on a design we're happy with, I'll share the glad tidings. Hardcore mode in Quest 1 was one of my favourite things....although quite nerve shredding!

@Pitta, you're right. No resistances were shown in those screenshots. Although, you can glean some info from the enemy models. They all hold the weapon they'll be using (did I mention "unarmed" is a weapon choice this time round too!), and their armour gives you a vague idea of what to expect.

@Deadpan, the meta game in Necromunda was one of my all time favourites!

Keep on keeping on you lovely lot, and Happy Friday!! ;)

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Nice touch, that every warrior can use ranged weapons, I like that.
    Same goes for the reach weapons. Personally, I'd like to see a Lucerne Hammer and a Poleaxe (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordaxt) . Any weapon with murder in its name is good in my book ;)
    No need to go overboard like old D&D did, though.

And thanks for the heads-up on savegames, very much appreciated. Fingers crossed you can make it work right.

7. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Will there still be random town and travel events (if "yes", hopefully much more variation)? Will towns be fleshed out a bit more?

8. dunhila

dunhila Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    Any gameplay coming soon?Would love to see how the game is performing :)

9. Deadpan

Jan 19, 2010
    #89 Deadpan, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Quick question on the story, will there be one main quest and a few side quests per town like WH? I ask because I was wondering if there might be tangential side quests of a few dungeons for special items etc.

On weapon suggestions a scythe would be pretty cool, and I had an idea for a miniature cannon that could be held under one arm, but only because I thought it could be be called a hand cannon, or maybe a 'And Kanon ;)

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #90 Nullzone, Apr 3, 2017
    Scythes are stylish, but pretty much a symbolic weapon only, not really useable in combat.

"Miniature/Hand cannon": Those actually existed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_cannon , video e.g. here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRKOoqJhCVE
    Handgonne is a very Warhammer fitting name, methinks.

All the big strong stuff of course takes the name literally, and uses REAL cannons; not those tiny wimpy matchsticks like da oomies ;)
    I can imagine how that went: Imperial gunner gets caught by Orks. The resident Mekboy interrogates him about "da flashy boomstikks" and the answer gets him thinking: " 'And Kannon? You not say ... me's got an idea. Snots! Where's ya lazy gits, we's gotta work ta do!"

Oh boy, followed some links from the handgonne Wikipedia article...
    Lo behold: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_lance. The Chinese firelance, "a spear with one or more flamethrowers attached". --> Me want!

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    More Chinese Weapon Goodness

We need lots of weapon imports from Cathay ;)

I kept reading, and found e.g. this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huolongjing , the "Fire Drake Manual".

Quote from that article:
    The Huolongjing provides information on various gunpowder compositions, which are given names such as "magic gunpowder", "poison gunpowder", and "blinding and burning gunpowder".
    Among the bombs described, there are hollow cast iron grenade bombs, shrapnel bombs, and bombs containing poisonous concoctions.
    For arrow type devices there is the 10th-century fire arrow and its derivative, the metal-tube-launched rocket, various rocket launchers, the two-stage rocket utilizing a booster rocket, and fin–mounted winged rockets. Mine devices include land mines and naval mines as well as the latter's use of a complex trigger mechanism. Gun-like weapons included are devices such as the fire lance, an organ gun with up to ten barrels (AFAIK Dwarves have something like this), hand cannons with possible serpentine locks, the bombard and cannon, cannon barrels filled with metal balls containing poisonous gunpowder solutions, and cannons that were mounted on wheeled carriages."

12. Deadpan

Jan 19, 2010
  13. RodeoBenjamin

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Guildford
    Morning all. Hope your Monday's are treating you well! Ok, let's dive into some questions...

@Kurtalb1, yes we're having events. Hopefully they'll feel a lot more satisfying than before. Will be talking about the whole World Map at some point. Remember, these are The End Times!

@Dunhila, I expect we'll do something gameplay related in the next few months...

@Deadpan, each region will have a story arc. Really want to talk about the World Map, but can't share too much right now. There will be random dungeons as well, just like the first WHQ.

Scythes are now on the weapon list.. ;)

@Nullzone, poleaxes are on the list now aswell! Bombs are already in-game and lots of fun!!

See you lovely lot tomorrow!

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #94 Nullzone, Apr 3, 2017
    @Benjamin: Thanks again for answering questions, very much appreciated.

Worldmap:
    The one thing I didn't like in WHQ was that you couldn't set a longer route: to travel from town 1 to town 2, I had to manually go through all the villages A,B,C in between.
    Would be nice if we could set a destination now, and then keep travelling (and encounter things on the way ;) ) till we reach it.
    Look at e.g. Devils and Demons, they did it pretty neatly.

Poleaxes: With the "Mordaxt" name, I hope ;)

All that weird Chinese gunpowder would be great for shooters like Witchhunters, to add some special effects to their guns.

Not to mention that there are some interesting historical multi-barrel weapons. Google image search for "multi-barrel gun" and you'll get some cool stuff like this
    [​IMG].
    Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper-box .

Oh, and I found a fitting weapon for Ogres and similar big guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_Avenger :D

Just kidding, I meant that one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volley_gun#/media/File:Early_16th_century_Ottoman_volley_gun.jpg

15. Maelwolf

Maelwolf Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Dwarves have some heavy weapons that use black powder, but individually carried firearms are pretty limited in the Warhammer world. You have pistols like the Witch Hunter from WQ1, handguns with single or burst shot, and mini-cannons carried by ogre mercenaries.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Handguns

Basically the most reliable guns are dwarven-made, but there are crude guns made by other races.

16. RodeoBenjamin

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Guildford
    Hello hello you bunch! Ok, let's get down to some questions...

@Nullzone, you're going to be very happy then. You can travel from any point to any other point on the world map!

Those multi-barrelled guns are ridiculous....they'd fit in perfectly then! ;)

I have a questions for you lot now. Would people enjoy having an Ogre as a playable character?

Also, for those of you in the know. Which is your favourite of the Chaos Gods?

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #97 Nullzone, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Very nice ;)

There's so much fantastic real-life historical stuff out there. I am just a dabbling amateur, but if you need any info on weapons/armor/etc., just holler ;)

Yes, please! Leadbelcher (with that multi-barrel cannon, please?) and Slaughtermaster for the win :D The latter might be a bit much though, what with all the grizzly gruesomeness of cooking both your enemies and allies...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!
    With some Tzeentch flavouring, to get the recipe just as planned.
    Contradictory, I know. But I like to play Mages too. So the Blood God for the warriors, and Old Birdie for the spellslingers.
    For fun factor and hilariousness, Papa Nurgle wins. "One big happy plague family" is just too good ;)
    But if I have to pick only one: Khorne.

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Personally not.
    Almost never used it in WHQ too.

Tzeentch followed by Khorne.
    Then Nurgle.

:)

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Pitta: Sadly, the Ogre in WHQ was rather underwhelming, almost completely due to having only one attack.
    Ah well, here's a chance to improve things *nudge nudge @Benjamin" ;)

Personally, I think WHQ suffers from the same problem as Demon's Rise 1&2: a high number of attacks is THE killer feature and force multiplier, making or breaking battles. Both in DR and WHQ, one of - if not the - most effective approaches is to boost a char who already has multiple attacks, march him in and kill anything within reach, rinse and repeat.

20. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #100 Pitta, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    To be honest it's not that the reason I almost never used it.
    Actually I tried him just for the cool shields.

But I wouldn't have used him even if he was the most powerful character....I tend to use the characters I like/would like to impersonate, never the most powerful and such.....and it happens the Ogre is not one of them.

But hey, I get many would like him in the game..just wanted to give an honest answer to Ben for his poll.

Actually I think 80 percent of my time spent with WHQ I used the initial 4 characters....because they were the ines I a,ways used in the boardgame and I happen to love them all.
    If I could have a 3 Marauders party, I would have played so :p

My favorite characters are Bretonnia knights (on foot), Chaos Warriors, Loremasters.

In the Age of Sigmar, I confess Stormcast are growing on me.
    I'm now using in Silver Tower the questor, just with a different color scheme (I hate the gold armour and the 'star' helm....I'm going to modify it with another head someday).

Actually I just ordered a Chaos warrior that I'll use instead of the questor...with a mixed warscroll.

I know it won't be the case, but I would LOVE being able to use in the game the classic plain chaos warrior, black armor and shield, horned helm, fur on shoulders....maybe a renegade or something...