Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RodeoBenjamin, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks for that Maelwolf!
    I'm familiar with the Old World but not that much with the End of Times era so that was really interesting.
    And I happen to love Nurgle and even more, Chaos Warriors (the black ones) which are probably my favorite miniatures together with Bretonnia, even if I'm generally a good guy.
    Actually I ordered some days ago the Chaos Warrior basic units at local GW, to use one in Silver Tower with a modified warscroll.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Papa Nurgle is fun, in no small part due to the happy family vibe: "Can daddy give you a hug and a wet sloppy kiss?" -> cue plague-spreading ;)
    And some of the Chaos tribes and warriors I find a lot more interesting than things on the other side, Khornate Vikings just rock. Like this guy: https://1d4chan.org/images/6/6a/All_Fear_the_Wrath_of_the_Norscans.jpg

@Benjamin: Will Chaos be a playable faction too?

3. RodeoBenjamin

RodeoBenjamin Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Creative Director at Perchang Games
    Guildford
    Good morning everyone,

Seriously, thanks for all the love. Makes development all the more fun knowing you wild lot are clamouring for some crazy dungeon crawling! Lots of questions, so let's dive in...

Not fully talking about injuries just yet, but the idea is that they'll work in a similar way to games like Necromunda. And remember, sometimes an injury can lead to good things. Hideous scarring causing fear, etc.

As for multiplayer. We'd love to put the kitchen sink in at launch, but time is always the enemy. As long as there's an audience, we'd like to support the game with post launch features. Don't have an official list of what those are yet though.

Season pass is an interesting idea. Not sure if Apple allow for that.

....they will have options to get tougher if they want to. In your example, I imagine you've outfitted your Barbarian with crazy killing skills and weapons....leaving not a lot of room for defense and armour. Making him a glass cannon. So, yeah, pretty much spot on!

Yes Pitta, enemies will have naughty skills and weapons too. Don't expect your Warriors to come back from a monster hunt in one piece!

@Bullwinkle, thanks!

Outfits and armour are all class dependant this time. Whilst swapping weapons is free, armour costs AP to change.

We'll be talking about environmental effects over the coming months. Just to manage your expectations, you won't be able to destroy terrain.

Yes, we give you enough information before entering a dungeon to make an informed choice about your equipment and party.

@Pitta, your big question about combat. We've worked really hard on getting a system that allows for a lot of variety in play, whilst also being instantly understandable. Just from looking at a room, you'll be able to see what overall resistances enemies have. This helps you plan your overall strategy. If you want to delve deeper into their stats for more detailed planning, you can. Finally, when it comes to executing your plan with actual combat, we have a UI that weighs up each side and gives you a vague idea of an outcome. It's all designed to feel natural and very un-intrusive.

@Sloany, very much that, yes. We'll do a whole special on what "levelling wide" actually means sometime before launch.

...annnnd that's it for another day. Thanks for all the questions you lot. Keep 'em coming, and I'll try my best to keep answer them!

4. RodeoBenjamin

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Guildford
    @Nullzone, just saw your question. Chaos are very much the bad guys in The End Times. They're all about destroying the world, so there are currently no plans for playable Chaos characters.

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    'Tis a noble goal, aye. Ah well, fingers crossed for getting them in an expansion; I just like playing the bad guys ;)

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    You made imho the right decision.
    As much as I would love multiplayer (and I know you are totally capable of that, because I played Deathwatch multiplayer and it was stellar imho...I would sure play it daily if it made it to the final game) don't put too many things on the table (and there are already A TON).
    Concentrate in making the best sp experience you can do, like you did with the original WHQ...I'm pretty sure people will love it and when the player base will be big enough...then, only then, see if it's worth investing on mp (or maybe DLC, expansions, etc...).

Let us pay!!! :p

Ah!
    Challenge accepted!

Awesome.
    I wouldn't have expected less from you...but this awesome to hear.
    I'm really intrigued by 'just by looking at a room, you'll be able to see overall resistances'.....and I'm already wondering how you achieved that (graphical cues, text, tooltips....).
    I bet graphical cues....so I'm looking forward when you will be ready to show something.
    For now I'm imagining in my (wild) mind a graphical subtle effect for every type of resistance....like a subtle red glow for fire armors....or blueish aura for ice resistance....not sure about piercing/blnt and some less identifiable things but I trust you (and I can be totally wrong anyway).

Also, I LOVE we get a vague idea of the possibile outcome, so I'm assuming there is still a random component in the game, which I love and imho it's essential to create the right thrill/danger mood.
    It's what made WHQ great in the long run....it's still thrilling being ambushed by 3 groups of black orcs in a row :p

Anyway....this is just too much.
    I know I won't ever do this...but I'm almost tempted to stop reading here.
    The wait for autumn is too much!!!

7. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Do weapons have reach? So would I be able to attack non-adjacent with a spear or glaive?

8. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

Ohhhh, good question?

Pitta didn't you do beta testing for the first WQ?

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I was lucky enough back in the days, yes.
    As Warhammer Quest was my favorite boardgame ever at the time, and the Old Wolrd my favorite fantasy setting, I had wild expectations about the game...something that in my experience means utter disappointment in general...and I still remember I was blown away by the game when I first launched it (it was very solid already even if in beta, played almost 100 hours the beta alone).
    And it was so in the coming months...and I still play it.
    It was the very first time it happened actually (I'm generally very critic about what I love).
    To me is really something special.

Saying that my expectations about End of Times are sky high would be a big understatement, so it's always a double edged sword.

But in Ben I trust :p
    And so far I'm in love with everything I saw.

I just wish the game would be out in a month :p

10. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Rodeo Benjamin,

Regarding Apple and a yearly pass, Pathfinder Adventures iOS app had a yearly pass to get each new adventure so I would presume Apple would allow for it.

11. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    This looks great. The original Warhammer quest was a big inspiration for my games. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

So are you guys sticking to the Warhammer quest boardgame rules or making your own rules but in a Warhammer quest setting? It sounds like the latter but I haven't kept up with the Warhammer quest games so don't know if GW updated the rules as well.

12. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

I know what you mean about expectations normally leading to disappointment, a lot of the games that I had been 'dying' to play before release generally turned out to be 110% better in my head than they actually were when released lol.

So far though Ben has never let me down!

I hope they consider beta tests for this, I've done betas in the past but not for a long time because they take a lot of commitment (time wise) and I was in a very busy job with a family but now I'm doing shift work I funnily have more spare time especially when the kids are at school and the wife's at work, because of this I would love to test this for them. I know if it does happen it won't be for a while yet. Would you be interested in testing again?

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #73 Pitta, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    I'm not Benjamin but from the sound of it they are doing their own rules, maybe taking inspiration from GW board games.

The old Warhammer Quest hasn't been updated but GW published the spiritual successors named Warhammer Quest Silver Tower (which is btw my favorite boardgame at the moment and took the place of the original) and Warhammer Quest Shadow over Hammerhal.
    Both are set in the Age of Sigmar (so post Old World).
    They have both completely fresh rules and imho the best out there in dungeon crawling board games.
    They are fast, elegant and games flow really well.
    Silver Tower is fully coop and can even be played solo, dungeon are random, Shadow over Hammerhal needs (sadly) a DM, has fixed dungeons and it has been just published by GW (last month). As the name suggests it's an homage to the greatest campaign of all times imho (Shadows over Boghenafen).
    From the sound of it, End of Times doesn't use this rules either.

But they were incredible imho adapting the original WHQ as a game and no doubts they are stepping up their game with this one, rules wise.

14. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well, when I was told Ben was doing a new game, I signed up for the beta without even knowing what it was :p
    I'm pretty sure if they do a public beta test, this will be the right place to be in case they need more cannon fodder :p besides the ones they already had in their past games, as they did for WHQ, Deathwatch and Perchang.
    It's a great commitment and less fun than one could imagine but both Rodeo and Perchang are amazing guys and it has been always a pleasure working with them.

The game is still pretty far so it will be a long while anyway.

15. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the info, Pitta.

The board games sound really cool. I wonder if I should grab a copy of Silver Tower. I have a huge chaos army so I could probably use the minitures anyway or replace them with my own, already painted minis. Do you think the rules would be good for a kid to play whose 5 but pretty smart for a 5 year old? I'm trying to get my kids into board games.

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #76 Pitta, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Assuming you are playing together :) I would say yes, at least the first quests.
    I play with my 8 year son and he has a BLAST (like me).
    We played a lot last year (he was 7 of course).
    Of course I read the book passages set it up, know the rules and such...he just decides where to move, which dice to use and which abilities.
    The rules are simple anyway in general, so they will become second skin after a bit for your son too.
    You could have a lot of fun together....the theme is really nice, and you set it up in less than 5 minutes.
    First quests take around 2 hours, even less if you know the rules very well right from the beginning.
    Latest quests are longer, around 3 or even 4 hours at max, especially if there are a lot of ambushes.
    I know I have a blast and whenever we can my son BEGS to play Silver Tower (for utter joy of my wife :p).
    Silver Tower even beats Lego Star Wars, which for a 8 years old Star Wars nut is pretty telling.

If you get it, be sure to read the FAQ for the game as it clarifies a LOT making the game progression easier and simpler (especially respite).
    Also be sure to give him one of the powerful heroes.
    As per GW tradition, the game can be really swingy and some heroes are MUCH more powerful than others.
    Give him the Stormcast....easy to use and powerful.

If you have other miniatures....it's pretty easy to incorporate them into the game both as heroes and adversaries...just adapt their warscrolls.
    It makes the game almost infinite....so good that I'm tempted to buy Hammerhal just to have additional tiles and create other adventures.

17. Maelwolf

Maelwolf Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    The End Times were an interesting period in the Warhammer world. I am not a huge fan of the Age of Sigmar, so really I was a bit jaded when they started to tear down the existing lore. However, several interesting developments came from the End Times saga.

A lot of factions became combined, especially in regards to undead. Much of what started in the End Times carried over to the Age of Sigmar. The Egyptian themed undead were overshadowed by vampire/spectral forces. New units also made an appearance:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Deathlords-Morghast-Harbingers

In WQ1, our experience with undead was limited to zombies, skeletons, necromancers, and vampires. If we see undead in WQ2, hopefully we see some of the more exciting variations to this theme. Aside from base vampires there are Vargheists who are basically insane vampires:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Vargheists-2016

There are several ghoul-type monsters:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Flesh-Eater-Courts-Crypt-Ghouls
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Flesh-Eater-Courts-Crypt-Horrors
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Flesh-Eater-Courts-Crypt-Flayers

Ghost type monsters:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Nighthaunt-Spirit-Hosts
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Vampire-Counts-Tomb-Banshee
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Vampire-Counts-Cairn-Wraith

Beasts and bigger units:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Vampire-Counts-Fell-Bats
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Vampire-Counts-Dire-Wolves
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Flesh-Eater-Courts-Crypt-Terrorgheist
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Flesh-Eaters-Courts-Zombie-Dragon

And wights:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Krell-Lord-of-Undeath
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Vampire-Counts-Grave-Guard

Really WQ1 just scratched the surface of what we could see with new units and different factions, even the factions we already had some experience with. I'm certainly excited to see how much makes it in!

18. RodeoBenjamin

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Guildford
    Morning you lovely lot, am swooping by again to answer all your Quest questions!

@Trystero, yes weapons can have reach. We currently have Spears in the game that have an attack range of 2 squares. Line of sight actually plays a part in combat now as well.

@Cofunguy ok, thanks for the info. We'll look into it. No promises at this stage though.

@WaveLightGames It's very much our own ruleset. Much as we love the new rules in Silver Tower (and they are very cool), we needed something built from the ground up for what we're trying to achieve. P.S. Love your Demon's Rise games! ;)

As far as Beta testing goes. We'll definitely be doing that. Probably later in the Summer though. I'll post on this thread to let you know when we're looking for people to help out. Will be announced in our newsletter as well which you can sign up for on our website.. Perchang.com

That's it for today. Keep those questions coming!

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Oh oh oh!!!!
    Reach and line of sight sounds cool!!!

I'm re-scanning meticulously the released screenshot after the info galore you provided us.
    Now I'm noticing a ton of places to 'cover' that probably block line of sight, which is awesome.

By any chance...when you mentioned the fact 'you can have an idea of resistances just by looking at the room'....that is not in the actual screenshots right? (No UI and all, I get it...but I wonder if I can spot other clues).

20. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Regarding season passes, besides the aforementioned Pathfinder Adventures, Sentinels of the Multiverse also uses them on iOS. It worked well enough for Sentinels that they did a second season pass after the first round of planned DLC was completed. So if you decide they're right for the game, they're definitely allowed.

I did think of a question: Another big item on my wish list is having independent parties, and being able to start campaigns from scratch, like the first WHQ with its three (deletable) save slots. One of the things I didn't like in Deathwatch was that there was no way to do this without deleting and reinstalling the game (a choice I assume was made due to the inclusion of FTP elements). Will we be able to have separate saves, and start over as we like?