Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RodeoBenjamin, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RodeoBenjamin

RodeoBenjamin Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Creative Director at Perchang Games
    Guildford
    Morning all,

So, given that our new game takes place in The End Times, where sworn enemies fight alongside one another. Which races and units from the Old World would you most like in your party?

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Druchii, Skaven (Doombell!), Goblins - especially Nightgoblin Fanatics. Yes, I like the weird stuff ;)

3. Maelwolf

Maelwolf Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Had well over 300 hours put into Warhammer Quest, a feat yet to be reached with any other iOS title. I was not as crazy about Deathwatch, which had an improved combat system but made the game itself far more linear.

Will WQ2 see the return of a world map? If so, I'd like to see a bigger variety in random missions. One that seemed lacking from the first as a longtime reader of Felix and Gotrex was big monster hunts. It could be pretty fun and challenging to get random opportunities to hunt down wyverns, chaos spawns, and more, with higher levels opening up the possibilities of facing dragons and greater daemons.

I really liked the undead expansion, even if it felt a bit incomplete. I hope we see more enemies with abilities that are a bit out of the norm for standard TBS games. The necros raising undead and banishing heroes could be tricky, but offered one of the most tense situations you could find at higher levels that otherwise could start to feel trivial.

Also Squigs, there was a serious lack of squigs...

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    As the setting is End of Times, besides the usual suspects from Empire, Dwarf, Elves....I would really like to finally use some Bretonnian Knights, maybe the Grail Knights....fighting against Nurgle and Nagash minions with sword and shield.
    I hope those cool laying on the ground shields are a hint in this direction.
    Given they are basically wiped out at the end of End of Times, it's probably the last time we could use them before the Age of Sigmar.

Also I'm really digging the idea of big monster hunts posted by Maelwolf.
    Obtaining specific monster parts could be part of quests to forge specific items...like dragon scale armours,, shields, etc...

Speaking of big monsters....I wonder if those cool tentacles we can see in the screenthos are actually moving/a enemy/etc...

As I said years ago with the first Warhammer Quest, I would even pay a monthly fee to see quests added every month, with the occasional new tile set and monsters.
    I could play it forever (lost count of how many hours I played, stopped counting at 450 or so, and still playing it. It's THAT good).

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I still have nightmares about the first time I killed the wizard while Crom, my mighty level 8 barbarian, was wandering in the Crystal Maze.

I got the 'gutting' achievement tough.

I think I mourned his demise for a real life week.

6. Deadpan

Deadpan Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    My first answer to this question will always be one of these guys!

Attached Files:

7. Deadpan

Jan 19, 2010
    My second answer though would be a Lizardman of some description.

Attached Files:

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Gosh, I'm getting senile...
    The unholy lady trinity, of course: Isabella von Karstein, Genevieve Sandrine du Pointe du Lac Dieudonne, Valkia the Bloody.
    Plus Queens Nefereta and Malekith.
    Vlad can be the manager of the girlgroup, The Slice Girls ;)

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    lol!!!

10. Deadpan

Jan 19, 2010
    Hey Benjamin, thought of another question. Are you developing WHQ2:TET just for IOS or are you planning PC and console releases too?

11. RodeoBenjamin

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Guildford
    @Deadpan, we've announced iOS and Android so far. Haven't announced anything else just yet...

Loving the Slice Girls! Isabella is Posh Slice, yeah?

Yes, there's a World Map. We'll do a whole thing about it when the time comes to talk about that bit of the game. I can say that Random Dungeons are back in the mix!

I do really love the Bretonnian lore, and always criminally under-represented in games!

Monster hunts would be amazing, wouldn't they? ;)

12. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Great news indeed.

My questions are:
    1. All WHQ content (heroes, monsters, dungeon tilesets, loot) will be used in WHQ2?
    2. Is it heavily based on desktop Crystal Tower?
    3. I really hope drop system will be traditional as in WHQ, not this 1-card-only-based madness from WH40K Deathwatch.

13. Scarletti

Scarletti Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Welcome back.

Have enjoyed WHQ and DW both.

Will you have iCloud saves with WHQ2?

Really like that in WHQ and missed it in DW.

14. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Yeah me too.
    It's crucial imho in such big games.
    Not only you can play on multiple devices, but you can delete the game waititng for expansions if short on space and then reinstall and continue where you was....so in case of games with planned expansions is a profitable feature...I know many that deleted a game because of space issues but they were willing to buy expansions when they came out, but turned out they didn't because they didn't want to restart from scratch.

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    My God the more you say, the more painful it gets waititng.

16. Maelwolf

Maelwolf Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    That's great to hear!

I'm excited to see the different races and beasts that make it in! Would love to fight one of these in some mountainous cavern: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-CA/Mourngul

17. RodeoBenjamin

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Guildford
    Goooood morning everyone. Welcome to the daily answers! ;)

Yes, icloud saves are in the plan.

WHQ2 has been designed totally new and fresh, so all items, tilesets, etc are new. We have much more evolved combat mechanics too, so a lot of stuff from the 1st game wouldn't really work mechanically in this one.

Silver Tower is very much it's own game and takes place in the Age of Sigmar, so not much overlap there.

Loot drops in WHQ2 are more similar to the ones in the first game. We're also making a much bigger deal out of the base weapons and items. For example, maces will feel very different to swords and be useful in different situations.

As for the Mourngul... Kill it with fire!!!!

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well...of course next question is.....

ABOUT THESE MUCH MORE EVOLVED COMBAT MECHANICS....

What can you say?

Liking a lot that maces and swords can have different usage in different situations so instead of dumping everything that is inferior stat wise we must bring multiple weapons with us for different situations I assume (like maces more effective against skeletons than swords and the like).

This means that my Bretonnian knight will have to look for both great swords AND maces, together with shields :p

19. Deadpan

Jan 19, 2010
    Your answers just raise more questions Benjamin!

If you can't tell us just yet exactly how the combat mechanics work can you tell us if they're similar to or inspired by any other games?

I really like the idea of having to equip your warriors with the right tool for the job, would that extend to any potential magical damage too? For instance fire would do more damage to a beastman or ice to undead?

How many weapon types do you expect to include? Flails? A Pit Flail perhaps? ;)

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Different weapons being good in different situation is always nice, provided they stay similar in power.

@RodeoBenjamin: Assuming, like Pitta, that you need to bring various different weapons along:
    Will the inventory be as limited as it was in WHQ? Or will you - ideally - go for unlimited inventory this time?

And while we are at it, some more random musings:
    1) Level cap:
    Wasn't high enough in WHQ, especially after you added the expansions. If there'll be on in WHQ2 as well, at least make it high enough.

2) Random advancement:
    Please don't do that again. The randomisation in WHQ had a way too large spread (e.g. getting 1 or 10hp at levelup), and the randomly picked skills were even worse. While stuff like that is perfectly okay in a boardgame you play for a few hours, in a videogame people pour hundreds of hours into ... not so much (stopped paying attention past the 200 mark or so; so yes, I am another one of those who played quite a bit ;)) .

3)XP distribution:
    Will it be individual hero levels again? Or can I encourage you to use a "party XP" system this time? Reason: it's insanely annyoing if you want to give another char a twirl, and need to level him up for hours first before you can use him. Totally unneeded grind in my book, and makes for a lesser gaming experience: after all, your players aren't easily able to see and use all the nice stuff you created. E.g. Templar Battleforce has a good system for that (individual levels, but benchwarmers level up automatically at a reduced pace derived from the party leaders XP), same goes for the Kingturn games (you could train up new chars with gold, up to the level of the highest-leveled char of the same class) .