Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RodeoBenjamin, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RodeoBenjamin

RodeoBenjamin Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Creative Director at Perchang Games
    Guildford
    Hi all,

The busy meter is certainly ramping up here at Perchang. Thanks as always for the questions and comments. A couple of things we need to address...

Launch has slipped a tiny tiny bit. Our official launch date is now the 19th of October. What that means is you'll be getting a much more polished game... with a couple of additional features we were originally planning for post launch.

So, onto the good news! The Beta is coming! Towards the end of next week, we'll be sending out a newsletter with all the relevant information for sign up. The actual Beta testing is expected to happen a week or so after that.

And the best news. Our gameplay trailer is hitting next week. Sweet sweet gameplay!

Finally, now that we've sorted out the launch date shenanigans, I'll be back on here answering your questions. So fire away ;)

- Ben

2. vogelmann

vogelmann Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Cologne, Germany
    I have no questions. I only would like to wish you good luck for the last weeks of development and the launch! Can't wait to play the final game!

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Welcome back, Benjamin ;)
    Doesn't matter that you postponed launch, better safe than sorry, i.e. polished and bugfree game than something...not so good.

Fingers crossed I'll have time to join the beta.

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Hype mode engaged.

5. Deadpan

Deadpan Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Outstanding news! No new questions you just answered them all. Roll on next week!

6. briansanderson

briansanderson Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Yes. Beyond excited. Time to replay Warhammer Quest yet again to pass the time.

7. dalbertson

dalbertson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    This is awesome! Warhammer Quest is one of my all time favorite games.

8. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

No worries about the delay! So hyped now and waiting for the gameplay trailer!!

9. Praymettin

Praymettin Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    I see, no love for Ogre Kingdoms eh :( I waited for the ogre character for the original but when I got it, it did't have those sweet multiple attacks, fun gnoblar accessories or an effective ogre charge...

I would eat a hellheart to see Ogre Butcher, Gorger, Gnoblar Groinbiter(s) Unit as characters in the new game game... As for the main choice, Ogre Maneaters with absurd and fancy outfits and exotic/makeshift weapons would be a sight... Gut Magic would be a gruesome and unique addition. Leadbelchers would be a little overpowered at narrow corridors and close quarters.

As for BIG monsters, Chaos Giant would be the first choice that comes into my mind... And of course the Demon Prince, I assume they are already in or on the way neverthless :)

Anyways Godspeed RodeoBenjamin, I hope you have a smooth QA and launch process, others can come later.

10. Heavnsix

Heavnsix Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Any info on classes/ heroes available at launch/ planned?

11. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    Please, some more teaser trailers, gameplay videos or even screenshots! It's good marketing you know.

12. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    So I’ve read Ben’s interview over at Stately Play and now I’m concerned about loot. It sounded like there is only one of each type of weapon? So like there is a single long sword which has characteristics different from say a war hammer and you need certain weapons for certain types of enemies? I enjoyed the loot variation in the original. Did I misunderstand the “doing away with Longswords +1, +2, etc” comment? Ben, can you provide more detail??

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I didn't understand like that.
    I think they mean you won't find sword +1 whatever damage or critical etc...but more like fire sword (adds fire damage to normal sword damage), ice sword, stun sword etc (unique names, hopefully better than the one I mentioned, that explain why that magical sword is different).
    But I'm pretty sure there will be many different types of swords in the game, as everything else.

14. RodeoBenjamin

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Guildford
    Good morning everyone. Quick bit of question time then...

@Trystero, it's a bit of a complicated one to explain, and a bit of a shift in mindset of how you think about loot, game progression and difficulty. In WHQ1 (and most traditional rpgs), you would get a longsword which would be ok for early game enemies. Then you'd find a longsword +1, which is exactly the same but a little more powerful. This helps you dispatch higher level enemies. And it goes on and on. This system works hand in hand with a traditional linear difficulty system that involves levelling a character and progressing through a story. The main problem with this type of design is that enemies quickly become redundant as you get more powerful, and you end up fighting a small faction of very powerful enemies at the end of the game. Which is fine for linear games, but not great for the random dungeons that you get in WHQ.

We wanted to explore other ideas and design something different. The way we approached it was to "level wide" instead of "level high". What this means is rather than getting more powerful as the game progresses, you instead get more options and tactical choices. You do get a little more powerful, but not by a huge amount. A good analogy is Hearthstone. Your hero starts with a base set of cards. Then, by collecting and using different card combinations, you "unlock" new choices and tactics to use in your games. This also changes difficulty in our game, because it means that an enemy is a dangerous entity and remains that way through the game. For example...

A Beastman Ungor (early enemy type) has 10-12 Hit Points, no armour resistance and comes equipped with a hand axe which does 4-6 Slashing Damage over three attacks.... have I mentioned about attacks before? Ok, really quickly. Each weapon costs a number of action points to use. It has a damage stat, critical chance and number of attacks (read these as swings or strikes). Weapons which have a higher number of attacks are less risky but generally do less damage. It's about risk / reward.
    For example, a Warhammer = high damage, one attack. Therefore it's a high risk / reward weapon. Whereas a Short Sword = medium damage, three attacks. Which means it's more reliable and good for finishing off enemies who only have a few hit points left.

....anyway, back to the Beastman Ungor. He's perfect fodder for a longsword wielding Empire Captain wearing some nice slashing resistant armour. However, you don't want him to get up close with your Dark Elf Sorceress who only has 14 Hit Points to start with. Not too much of a problem early in the game, buuut later on your tank Warriors could be up front and holding off a bunch of Plaguebearers, and all of a sudden a pack of Ungors attack from the rear... you're in a bit of trouble. Enemies are always a threat.

That's not to say we don't have a whole load of weapons in this game. There are over 70 in the base game, ranging from Maces, Great Axes, Spears, Daggers, Pistols and loads of others. Then there are the special weapons like Runefang, the Hydra Blade and my personal favourite... The Black Axe of Krell!

And then, there are items, skills, spells and armours. All in all, over 200 things to loot.

I really hope that explains things a little, and alleviates your concerns a bit.

@Heavnsix, base classes are Empire Captain, Dark Elf Sorceress, Wood Elf Glade Guard and Vampire Count Blood Knight. We'll be announcing the additional classes soon.

@Praymettin, no Ogres at launch, but I'm sure we could squeeze a bit of gut magic into some future dlc ;)

Ok, back to dev. We're doing play-throughs this afternoon. Time to put on the coffee...

15. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

This is how I understood it as well. Not warhammer +1 but for example hammer of sigmar etc.

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    This is way more interesting than I anticipated, thanks Trystero for the question and Ben for the detailed explanation.

Seems to me that Perchang planned things to address something that always bothered me.
    I always liked the EARLY quests in RPGs (including real life D&D back in the days) more than high level, where you are usually a moving tank and enemies pose no real threat.
    One thing that made me love WHQ so much were those nasty black orks ambushes that really kept on your toes even at level 8.

Hype is at unprecedented levels.

17. Kevd

Kevd Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Play-throughs!?! Count me in! Ha

Headed to the beach tomorrow for a week. Could see some lousy weather and the only thing that could make being stuck in the beach house more tolerable would be playing WHQ2. Just sayin'.....

Seriously, can't wait for this... Keep up the great work. Looks amazing.

18. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Thanks for the answers Ben!

19. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Hey I can't remember if this game requires online or not?

20. RodeoBenjamin

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Guildford
    @ste86uk, no online required. You only need to be online if you want to use cloud save or access the IAP store to buy additional content.