Universal Warhammer Quest 2 (By Perchang)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @RinoaHeartily : For 1 buck it's a steal; give it a try, I highly recommend it.

The base game is the first region with one major quest line and tons of sidequests for getting XP and better stuff.
    AFAIR the base classes you get with it are Empire Captain, Elf Mage, Elf Gladeguard, Darkelf Sorceress.
    Those 4 alone give a ton of playtime even with only the base campaign/region.

In my personal opinion, I find WHQ2 far better than WHQ1. No more "20 ranged & 20 melee attacks, and I have use them all to stand a chance", etc. Not to mention that super-silly "turn your iThingie sideways to access inventory" UI mishap. Overall, for me WHQ2 offers far more choices and different approaches than WHQ1.

2. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Sadly updated and played a level, got ambushed so many times and the gameplay and faults haven’t really been improved on, still pretty boring to be honest. I regret buying their first batch of dlc on faith.

In comparison I recently bought Into the Breach at a cheaper price than what I’ve paid here in total and that’s so much better than this.

3. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Hey guys just bought it. I think in terms of graphics it's far superior than the original one. I am still at the prelogue going into the first town.

Oh well I hope it's 99 cents worthy... Lol. Big fans for rodeo owns all their games this is no exception!

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #844 Nullzone, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    First impressions Witchhunter & Bretonnian Knight:

The Witchhunters are okay when starting out. Not too strong, but not complete weaklings either. In the beginning, they don't play too different from a Pistol-Captain.
    With Ogre & Bladedancer being Tier-1, I'd place them on Tier-3 for now.
    However, they have some *very* nifty-looking stuff that should turn them into excellent Chaos&Demon-killers. Need to verify if all those abilities stack, though.
    Current verdict: I expect them to shine later in the campaigns when I run into Demons and Chaos forces all the time.
    UPDATE: The "dual wields pistols" ability is severely disappointing. I was expecting something really cool, like automatically firing a second pistol in your inventory when you shoot with your primary one. But alas no. Instead all we get is at least one weapon where he simply wields two pistols, but that's just for graphics.
    Which reminds me: Only one shot per round with the Dueling Pistols?
    @RodeoBenjamin What were you guys thinking? Please allow regular attacks limited only by your AP with that one (and maybe others if they exist, didn't find them yet).

Bretonnian Knights start out strong, and so far are 100% melee. Not as crazy powerful as the Ogre & Bladedancer. So a solid Tier-2 for the time being, at least on par with the Bloodknight and Melee-Captain.
    They also have some interesting abilities and weapons, but I don't have enough of those yet - not to mention inventory slots - to make full use of them.
    Current verdict: Looks like they have the potential to turn into melee monsters later, pretty promising.

UPDATE:
    Forgot the overall impression/verdict, so here you go.
    I started with 3 Knights and 1 Hunter, and currently run with 2 of each.
    Solid performance so far, didn't run into any life-threatening situations or a total partywipe yet.
    Plus, the stuff I have for them forces me to come up with better tactics than e.g. with the Ogre where it's "charge in and kill everything". For example, one of my Knights has 70% ranged deflect, so anytime I encounter a bunch of Archers, he takes point to soak up shots. And tactical use of the Hunter's Accusation skill is quite often needed, to ensure a kill when you need it thanks to its double-damage effect.

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #845 Nullzone, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Bug report & feedback

@RodeoBenjamin:
    First of all, I found a bug with the Bretknight's skill "Blessing of the Lady". Its description says "all warriors in a 3x3 are gain 10hp".
    However, it only ever works on the caster, never on anyone else.

Now, a thought on the Bretknight specifically:
    The Riposte ability is way too weak to waste a precious inventory slot on it. 20% chance to attack back - effectively in melee only as you have no ranged weapons - is just too low. Now, 75% at least and we can talk. 100% would be even better and make for some potentially very interesting tactics.
    I strongly encourage you to up that percentage.

Ambush feedback:
    In this game, for the first time in 100+ hours, I'm also getting the very high ambush rates others constantly complain about.
    While it makes for interesting situations sometimes (e.g. getting ambushed by a Minotaur plus some chaff while busy cleaning out a dungeon's final room), most of the time I get ambushed by a bunch of chaff only. And frankly, that's annoying as all hell.

Someone else asked for a toggle to switch ambushes off completely. Absolutely seconding that now.

Last for now, music:
    I am thoroughly sick of the droning and repetitive looping battle music.
    *Please* cut that one out and just keeping playing the normal game music. Some of the tunes I heard e.g. while in town are really good, and I'd very much prefer to listen to those than hear the battle-loop just one more time.

6. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    My game purchasing process is *always*

1. Buy game
    2. Load game
    3. Find setting for music volume
    4. Set to off

;)

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @skoptic: Yeah, by now I switched the music off for WHQ2. Which is a shame, as everything else I heard so far I quite enjoyed. Only that battle-loop wasn't a good idea.
    So far, I kept the music running outside of dungeons and then muted it when spelunking.
    Forgot the muting one times too many :p

8. Leptomeninges

Leptomeninges Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Male
    I can confirm the bug with Blessing of the Lady

Not sure I agree on need to buff Riposte. Some depends on how the skill is actually implemented. I feel like empirically I see rates higher than 20% per attack. I suspect each swing has a chance to trigger. Given that melee attacks often involve three swings, (1-.8^3=50%) this gives something like a 50% trigger rate which I think is a better match for what I’m seeing in game although I don’t have a sample large enough to be certain.

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Have fun! If you have any questions and they aren't covered in my guide (see my sig), ask away ;)

@Leptomeninges : Hello and welcome to TA!
    With a 50% trigger rate for Riposte we are getting somewhere, but still not very far from the starting line into viable territory.
    My reasoning behind considering a buff is this, will get somewhat lengthy (@RodeoBenjamin Ben, you listening? ;)) :

First of all, it obviously is the Knight's primary and hallmark skill. Evidence: Every Knight I got so far has it. And it's highlighted in the Knight's description / advertising blurb.

Second, it takes up a precious equipment slot. And there is a lot of better stuff out there that it has to compete with.
    Ok, I'm a veteran player with "I don't know how many hundred hours on the clock" so naturally I have more insight into the game and its mechanics than e.g. someone coming in completely fresh. So, the following is to be taken with some caution:
    Even right out of the door, I have a large amount of options to fill my 4 starting equipment slots; even without relying on getting anything useful in the first two shops (Altdorf & Carroburg), and only taking into account the items I can take from the starting Heroes I do not use. E.g. Healing Potions, Shields, more weapons. Without going into a detailed analysis (can do that if there's demand for it), I can confirm that there is stiff competition for those 4 slots right from the start. And in that competition, current Riposte definitely gets the short end of the stick.

Then, even judged on its own, compared to other Heroes' starting equipment, it is mediocre at best. In my analysis, every other Hero who comes with a starting skill has a better option than Riposte. E.g. the Warpriest's skills, not to mention current Tier-1 Ogre and Wardancer and their incredibly useful movement skills they start out with.

Now, not everything has to be on the same level of usefulness as the Ogre's and Wardancer's starting skills. Quite the contrary, I'd much prefer if power creep is avoided completely.
    But, especially for a signature skill, I find Riposte extremely underwhelming. Assuming it stacks, I'd have to sacrifice several slots for a very limited usability skill. In general, I am much better off with increasing my direct damage output, to avoid getting hit at all in the first place.

In summary, for me to earn a slot in my loadout, Riposte needs to be significantly better than it currently is. Right now, in a Knight analysis, I strongly recommend to replace it asap.

10. Baschthoven

Baschthoven New Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Male
    Can you guys share some screenshots of the playable characters? I’m going to buy the game, but I can’t find much gameplay footage of it, nor any images of others characters “outfit” that I’ve read somewhere else. I’m curious about their looks, cuz for me fashion come first, like who’s the best looking char, and after lurking the forum for a while I still can’t find any info. I really love to know more about these characters if I were to buy em, and hope that Perchang would have some sort of update on their website to includes details bout the iAPs.

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Baschthoven : Hello and welcome to TA!
    Sorry, no screenshots at the moment. Uploading fails again, I guess the pics are too large and I don't have time to crop them right now. Might get around to that in the evening, but no promises due to a very full schedule currently.

Take a look at Perchang's Twitter here https://mobile.twitter.com/perchangareus?lang=en , they have a few videos that show several of the chars and monsters, and some pictures as well - e.g. this one:
    https://twitter.com/gamezebo/status/1035161471121084416?s=20

Quite a few of our Heroes qualify as fashion victims in my book ;)
    Empire Captain, Bloodknight and Greatsword with their ornate and baroque armours, Highelf Mage if you like robes, Darkelf Sorceress if you prefer less clothing. The new Witchhunter if you're into longcoats, and the new Bretonnian Knight with fairly realistic-looking armour and outrageous helmet decoration. Dwarves and Ogres have the worst fashion sense, but that's pretty much expected :D

12. Leptomeninges

Leptomeninges Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Male
    #852 Leptomeninges, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    @Nullzone

For context, I also recently bought the game on sale and am close to finishing the first campaign. I don’t have the hundreds of hours of experience, nor have I seen all the content.

But at this point, the game seems similar to warhammer quest 1 in terms of overall balance. Which is to say that loadouts maximizing kill speed seem better at minimizing incoming damage than tanking or crowd control loadouts. As a result, to make a tanking skill like riposte more viable, I think overall game balance would have to shift away from kill speed setups being so obviously superior. Until that happens, I don’t know if riposte becomes a meta winner even at a 75% return rate.

@Baschthoven

As a new owner of several characters, I personally find wardancer and witch hunter to be winners in terms of both appearance and kit flavor. Many of the heavily armored classes are a little unfortunate aesthetically. Among them, personally I most like the flavor and cohesion of the Blood Knight’s kit (a default class in the vanilla game) even if he probably doesn’t rise to become a top tier performer. The wood elf (also default) is aesthetically bland, but she’s a very solid performer, dipping a little mid game until you find a way to handle damage resistance. (There is a mid game hump when almost everything seems to be pierce resistant.) I personally find the caster class kits to be kind of clunky. Between them I probably prefer the (default class) dark elf, as the high elf mage has several mechanics which leave patches of fire behind that can be painful to micromanage your pathing around. Ogre has a really strong kit (generally any melee class with a move skill is a winner), but his aesthetics are lacking in my opinion (more overweight slob than Incredible Hulk ).

In game, if you go to the tavern and look at heroes for sale, you can get a look at the relevant models if those classes are for hire.

13. Baschthoven

Baschthoven New Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Male
    @Nullzone Aw man that suck =((( thank for the links I’ll check them out now, and Blood Knight and Greatsword sounds amazing, I always love armors. And the Brettonian Knight gonna be a must buy for me :D As for the dwarves, guess there’s only the Slayer class, which I could totally imagine, naked with mohawk, and possibly chubby... would love for some armorclad dwarves tho
    @Leptomeninges Thank you for some insight, Witch Hunter seems great, as for Wardancer, he just, eh for me, he just looks weird. But to be fair I only get 1 picture of him, with no other variant, and everyone love him so far, so hope I’ll be wrong then :p
    Also I wonder if our heroes have any voicelines, WHQ didnt have any if I’m right, but wish they could implement it like in Deathwatch.

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #854 Nullzone, Sep 3, 2018
    @Baschthoven : Sorry, dead tired, been a long day. No screenshots today :( Also, no voice-acting here.

@Leptomeninges : You're very much spot on about killspeed vs tanking & crowdcontrol (if you don't equal crowdcontrol=mass-killing, that is) . Interesting to see that someone new to the game comes to this conclusion as well, and rather quickly.

Current order for killspeed and thus damage avoidance looks like this: Ogre&Wardancer "ranged melee" >> Ranged single-target attacks >> Ranged mass attacks, particularly the Darkelf's Freeze spell >> Melee attacks >> Tanking.

I'm curious about your fresh perspective, what you think about Riposte.
    For whatever reason, does it make you go "That sounds great/interesting/whatever. Picachon de Bretagne, I choose you ;)"?

Ontowards some gamedesign thoughts:
    Riposte means "a counterattack after a succesful parry". So, the current skill would be more aptly named "counter-attack" as it doesn't include a preliminary parry.

Now, going by the literal meaning, we can propose something like this:
    "Give a 20% chance to parry the attack, and launch a subsequent counter-attack".
    In existing game mechanics this would be a 20% chance to deflect an attack. And then attack back with your current melee weapon at no AP cost, but with the usual tohit chance and damage range. Now, that's something I'll take a closer look at ;)

If we also want to give stats more meaning, we could go "20+Dex%" or even "20+Int%" - you need to be smarter than your average Ogre to judge if a counter-attack is possible and then pick the right moment for it; and it would give Int some meaning at least for the Bretknights.
    As long as we don't use Speed again, that one's useful enough already.

To make a "Deflect build" even more viable, I'd even go so far as to change the formula to "(total Melee Deflect) + Int %" or "(half total Melee Deflect) + 2xInt %" chance for counter-attack after a succesful melee deflect. NOW I have a real reason to load up with armour and shield, and maybe even extra +Deflect items.

If done right, a skill like Riposte could be a first step to make tanking more viable than preemptive strikes.
    I imagine something like this:
    Knight loaded up with armour, shield, some magic protective items, and a fitting melee weapon + Riposte. Wade him into the middle of combat, and have him soak up attacks followed by an occasional - and hopefully devastating - counterblow. Would I play that loadout? Most definitely yes :)

@RodeoBenjamin @popcornpete : Ben and Pete, that something you could take into consideration at least?

15. Leptomeninges

Leptomeninges Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Male
    #855 Leptomeninges, Sep 3, 2018
    @Nullzone

First of all, since I haven’t explicitly said it, I should thank you for your notes/guide.

https://toucharcade.com/community/threads/guide-warhammer-quest-2-meister-von-nichtmarks-fechtbuch-and-travelling-diary.318255/

I really enjoyed WH quest 1 and watched the game for a long time as it seemed to initially meet mixed reviews. When it went on sale your notes helped me take the plunge.

As far as picking particular classes, I like to play with all the toys. For me, that means experimenting with all the classes. I really like classes that with a skill package that works regardless of if the package itself is optimal. I don’t mind playing a suboptimal group if the group works and is fun.

For instance, the Blood Knight skills (quickblood, supernatural horror, vampiric bite, and the gaze attack) from my perspective form a package of skills that make sense and work together. I only carry horror and gaze in my current build, but if I could carry them all, I see them forming a coherent and working skill package more so than a greatsword’s sigils as an example. (Maybe I just haven’t yet played greatsword enough though.)

The wardancer’s tattoes and dances similarly form a skill package that makes sense to me on some level moreso than the ogre’s charge and carry enough melee buffs to destroy.

As it relates to the Breton knight, I wanted to like this class, as I tend to be interested in tanking mechanics generally in tactical games. I remember being kind of bummed in WH quest 1, when I realized that my team was stronger when I dropped the tank in favor of another dps class. Honestly though I stopped playing the Breton knight when I realized Blessing of the Lady (which seemed to me like a really OP heal — potentially more class defining than riposte) was either broken or the skill description text was wrong. In brief, I don’t think I’d care that riposte wasn’t an ideal skill if the whole skill package worked together to produce an interesting playstyle. Since blessing seems bugged I’ve stopped experimenting though, as the class itself seems broken.

I think that to make tanks more competitive they’d have to actually nerf ogres and wardancers. DPS is just way stronger right now than tanking/crowd control. To me, it doesn’t seem close and buffing a skill like riposte doesn’t get there. I don’t see that happening though, and am not actually advocating it. In fairness I do currently carry the blood knight in my default group (I just really like him) and haven’t yet seen all the content, so maybe tanking is more important than I’m giving it credit for.

Nullzone and Son of Anarchy like this.
  16. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks, @Leptomeninges! And my pleasure. When I have time, I really enjoy writing guides like this.
    Posts on the Knight & Hunter should be coming up within the next week or three, depending on how busy my schedule keeps on being.

Your take on things was a great read for me. Mind if I quote you in the future?

I don't think tanks needs to be more competitive, or the Ogre & Wardancer (or anything else, by the way) should be nerfed (except the Knuckleduster, of course :D). It's a single-player game, who gives a flying sexual intercourse about balance? :p
    For me, stuff just needs to be strong enough to not be completely uninteresting or a huge pain in the bum to play.
    Greatsword is a good example: A lot of his other stuff is quite interesting and fun. But the Sigils just don't work very well in the game's current context, and playing a Sigil-Greatsword was a pain and extremely unfun for me.

I consider tanking to be completely unnecessary except for a handful of very specific situations. But, with some interesting-looking options on the table, I'd play a tank party right away ;)
    However, ask e.g. Pitta to get a different opinion from someone who intentionally plays unoptimised parties.

Sidenote: Just had another party idea I didn't try yet. Heavy weapons only, aka high-AP low attack ones. Geez, @RodeoBenjamin Ben, I need more saveslots :p

18. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Hi there, I usually like JRPG style, but this price made me get into Warhammer Quest 2 enough. :p

Are Expansion DLCs essential for a complete story? ;)

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    You're f*cking kidding me...
    There I just went ahead to start that Heavy Weapons party I just mentioned.
    And THIS is what I get in the first shop? :D
    2FD064B6-F8E1-4985-AA81-0FFEA9593D52.jpeg

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #860 Nullzone, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    @nyanpass : No, not really. It's more like 3 different stories taking place in different provinces, tied together by your party and the overall lore/background.
    Perfectly fine to complete the original storyline that comes with the basegame first to see if you like it. You can always delve deeper with the other 2 chapters and more heroes at any point in your game:
    When you buy a new chapter or hero, they are immediately accessible. You can travel to the new province, and the new hero(es) start showing up in Inns and as quest rewards. I think you even get the starting one directly into your roster without having to start a new playthrough, but not 100% sure on this.

Oh, and welcome to this corner of TA! Really didn't expect to see you popping by ;)
    As usual, if you have any questions, ask away.

nyanpass likes this.