Universal Warhammer Quest 2 (By Perchang)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Oct 19, 2017.

1. zungzau

zungzau New Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Male
    That new update did not fix bug!!!
    How can you stop him? It is crazy char:)
    Image.jpg Image-1.jpg

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Wooooot!!!!

AT LAST!!!!!

They just added the Bretonnia Knight and the Witchunter!!!!!!

3. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Is the core game still shit?

Tempted to run my six-monthly post-update quality check, but amn’t feeling optimistic.

Sort of assume these are IAPs?

(Though the change to movement sounded, well. Core gameplay. Ish. Which is unusual. You know. For WH2 to have a non-IAP update. That addresses a real gameplay problem.)

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Hear ye, hear ye: All rejoice!
    There's indeed two new Heroes: Bretonnian Knight and Witchhunter.
    Awesome job, @RodeoBenjamin and colleagues ;)

Expect yours truly to be back sometime soon with impressions/play reports.

@RodeoBenjamin
    Ahem ... now I could *really* need another saveslot, for a fresh start. Any schedule when/if you can add that in?

@Quoad:
    - Core game is still great, no changes there :p
    - Yes, Hunter & Bretknight are IAP, paid 3.50€ each. And they come with new stuff too.

5. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i bought this today finally with the major discount, and feel thankful for that.
    My personal opinion as a non diehard fan:

1) there is a totally random leveling system which costs gold and can give you something totally useless
    2) said gold is really sparse plus you need it for equipments etc which means grind or no upgrades
    3) there is no opacity or character portrait select, so if you want to play in the 3d camera instead of top down prepare to twist and turn it this way and that
    4) there is an annoying ambush system, every 2 turns some extra monsters randomly spawn in addition to the ones you already have to kill.

Shame because with the characters, the cards, the graphics and the descriptions it could have nailed the tabletop rpg. Sadly, the above which i believe are VERY EASILY tweakable stuff, stop it for me.

6. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    It is good and I completed the base game a while ago, but that was quite short and I’ve been reluctant to shell out for each new area (£5 iap) with some of the issues Ramza mentions. Shame no sale on iap.

7. midasmulligan

midasmulligan Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    The ambush system completely killed the game for me, the sheer number of enemies spawning all around meant tactical positioning was worthless... Had to uninstall

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Re : high number of ambushes.

I still wonder if that's perception, streaks of RNG wackiness, or a real underlying issue.
    Personally, I can go through whole dungeons without a single ambush, and relatively frequently with only 1-3.

@RodeoBenjamin : Mind taking a look at the ambush RNG, just to be on the safe side?

9. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    After the last post about extra ambushes some months ago, I reloaded a dungeon and got about 4 in 10 minutes!

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Decidedly weird with the ambushes.
    Just played Middenland Act 1 Bloody Water dungeon, and got close to a dozen in total, once even 3 in a row.
    First time ever I ran into this. Will keep an eye on it for sure.
    And yes, that was bloody annoying...

11. hazmatte

hazmatte Member

Jan 16, 2014
    I was kinda hoping for a sale on the expansions... I am with the crowd that thinks that WHQ2 was inferior to WHQ1 and needed major core gameplay fixes so I have not touched the game since completing the original campaign. Keep coming back to the well to see if the game was sufficiently overhauled to make it worth jumping back in for the expansions. I really don't have much interest in shelling out $3 for a character... maybe $1 or $2 as in impulse buy.

For those who are in the "WHQ1 was superior" crowd... are the WHQ2 expansions even worth playing?

12. Scarletti

Scarletti Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2014
    #832 Scarletti, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Well I should be over here also, not the android thread.

Happy to see more content.

What is the improved movement? Better pathing around fire squares for instance?

I’d like option to turn off ambushes.

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Lol you would have loved the game at the very beginning, because ambushes were added after almost everyone complained they weren’t there as in the first game, lacking the thrill of exploration so (and being so much easier).
    I’m shocked now people complain about them but I guess it’s impossible to please everyone.

Maybe people comparing to the first WHQ forgot the 9-10 black orcs ambushes in a row you usually got in last dungeons.
    Not to mention Vampire lord and Necromancer appearing 3-4 corridors away, casting Crystal Maze on everyone (on hard, so bye bye level 8 char).

To me it wouldn’t be Warhammer Quest without the thrill of the random ambushes, and not only it adds a ton to the thrill of exploration, now you are always on the edge of the seat....no more positioning everyone in front of the door waiting, no more infinite cures before next room...now you have to be fast and really careful positioning and avoiding spreading too much...because if a Stone Troll ambushes your sorceress, maybe the only one with potions, you are in serious troubles.

Is it random? Yes
    Is it fair? No
    The Old World has never been a fair place :p

It was some months since I did a full playthrough but I just completed a 3 hours session and the game seems to me much more balanced (currently mid the second campaign with a level 3 Glade Guards party...now looking in every tavern for some Bretonnia knights...finally able to spend those 10K gold).

Thanks Perchang, finally playing Bretonnia knights was a dream I had since the original boardgame.

14. Maelwolf

Maelwolf Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    I don’t know that this is an issue with pleasing everyone, rather it’s a problem with introducing something challenging versus something that is tedious.

I’m a big fan of WQ1, and quite enjoyed WQ2 until the ambushes begun to make some dungeons a long slog to complete. I had an instance of being ambushed by 2 Minotaurs 6 or so times in a row, causing what should have been a relatively short dungeon to drag on and on. It wasn’t ever necessarily hard, I just had to keep retreating back and taking their health down but by bit. However, I simply could never get ahead for long before the next ambush. That’s just not fun, and I stopped playing soon after a few similar experiences.

The concept of ambushes are fine, but there needs to be a cap or something. I played a lot of WQ1, and while I recall a few annoying ambushes following ambushes, I never felt the tedium I did with the WQ2 system.

stubbieoz likes this.
  15. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Love this. “Is it fair? No”. Agreed and like it

16. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Hey yall I have a few questions. I am a big fan of rodeo when they were around. So I am looking forward to buying this game. Now that it's 99 cents it makes perfect sense. However when I look at the iap. I can't help but wonder the entire set of iap cost over 20 bucks.

So this brings to my question if I don't intend to spend a single dime on the iap what kind of fun will I have? Is the story too short? Do I have plenty of quests to play on? I have played and completed the original one and it was one of the most fun game I ever played. If this 99 cents is exactly like the original one in terms of length and fun factor then I don't mind paying 99 cents.

Thanks

17. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    It‘s difficult to answer your question as every person has different preferences.
    As for me, I liked WHQ1 but I didn‘t like this game.
    As you can see others here like it.

18. subgenius

subgenius Well-Known Member

May 30, 2014
    Unfortunately the core gameplay flaws make the expansions not worth it at all for me. Bought them anyway when they came out since I so very much wanted to like this title, but the poor leveling and loot systems just killed it for me. Tried playing again a couple weeks ago and ended up giving up after a few hours again. Too bad it doesn't look like they will address these points.

19. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    Yeah, I also bought the Skaven expansion and the 3 additional characters upon release.
    There are many flaws as you said, especially the leveling and loot system.
    There is also much less strategy needed in this title.
    Maybe the ambushes which were added later on changed it a little bit.
    I played some missions of the Skaven campaign and almost finished the main campaign but finally I never finished it as I wasn‘t interested to do it.
    If this would be WHQ1 I‘d already bought the 2 new characters and they‘d be at max level ;P
    In my opinion the visuals were greatly improved but anything else is worse compared with WH1.

stubbieoz and ramzarules like this.
  20. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i agree with Roger. It seems graphics and art is way better but all the rest made me redownload WHQ1 2 hours after playing WHQ2.
    If the would adress the leveling, loot and ambushes i would say its not worth 1 dollar but 10! But after such a long time past launch i dont think they will.