Universal Warhammer 40,000: Freeblade (by Pixel Toys)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Anyfox, Nov 5, 2015.

1. yoothreepio

yoothreepio Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Truth be told, my optimal build lags behind the optimum firepower I'm capable of, because I tend to use a number of second-tier parts that carry bonuses to crate and ore production. Since you can readily survive most missions, stats take a back seat to getting something for your time.

That said, the battle cannon and gauntlet are fairly unchallenged in endgame builds, because of their raw versatility. While thermal cannons have their moments, it's easier to overcome a battle cannon's shortcomings; if you don't do enough single-target damage with a battle cannon you just fire again, but there's no other way to get those five Orks the tight splash damage from your thermal-cannon shot missed. Meltaguns are objectively better than stubbers, but Freeblade's scoring obsession with environmental damage forces the issue in favor of stubbers so you can hose down mission-critical fuel drums and tank traps.

My main point of contention with the front-runners is on autocannons...frankly, there's no good reason to take one over a rocket launcher. Yes, autocannons are good at rapid pixel-hunting when you're facing a roomful of infantry, but rockets are just as good if the infantry are stopped and firing or even if they're moving but dense. More to the point, though, rockets are critical for taking out melee opponents in short order -- if you launch on one then immediately melee-crit it, you can often get an 8x Execution without even stopping. Hell, if you've got three battle-cannon shells, you can just as reliably launch on sight then fire the shells to pick up a Swift Death (essentially a ranged Execution) without even waiting to enter melee...

2. POLAND_3

POLAND_3 Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Battle canon: the widest damage range
    Gauntlet: the widest critical range
    Stubber: the fastest
    Auto-cannon: the fastest

If you want to achieve the best score, you have to be very, very fast. Waiting time until a missile or a rocket hits a target is definitely too long. My best weapon is a missile launcher, but I still use an auto-cannon in events.

3. yoothreepio

Jan 6, 2016
    #903 yoothreepio, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
    All right: another day of NFCA-2 errors barring me from playing events, despite multiple iPhone resets and a Sunday support ticket. Anyone else seeing this one, or is it just me?

If it's not hitting anyone else, I'd have to suspect that I've been somehow branded a cheater, despite the efforts I've made to point them out and restrict their excesses. Which would be perhaps the definition of irony, if it weren't so annoying.

4. yoothreepio

Jan 6, 2016
    OK, I've gotta ask: in what way is an autocannon fast? I'll give it shot speed over rockets and missiles, but in my experience autocannons are plagued by how slowly they engage large numbers of targets due to the firing animation...I've seen an autocannon still shooting five seconds after the fire command, if enough stuff was on screen. It's not realistic, but a rocket launcher doesn't swivel -- rounds just emerge aimed at their targets, which is faster.

Of course, rockets get really mean against single targets because they launch a concurrent single volley, versus a consecutive burst of autocannon rounds that does less damage over time. There's a bit of skill in knowing when to fire, but all in all rockets make up for it by taking up the anti-armor slack stubbers leave as a light weapon...one of the worst events I've ever seen was autocannon/stubber against Chaos tank spam, with no fallback when you ran out of battle-cannon shells.

5. POLAND_3

POLAND_3 Member

Apr 25, 2016
    I don't use an auto-cannon to kill large numbers of enemies, for that I have a stubber. If you kill 95% of visible targets, then you can use auto-cannon to quickly kill the rest (in fact I use it for no more than two 1-sec streaks during a single game). Perhaps there are top players who use it differently, but you can achieve the best score my way.

6. Blaine

Blaine New Member

May 18, 2016
    UK
    bug?

Got a loyalty quest that requires competent rank or higher on and event, i have done this yet the quest is not completing.

7. Mikebass

Mikebass Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Well get used to looking at it. All the bug reports here, mainly this one loyalty quest and not touched in the update.........someone is not listening to his public. Also I just got a 16 item weekly forge quest. thought these had gone as well.

8. darrinsden

darrinsden Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    I still have been unable to acess any free salvage for over 2 days

Can still play the game apart from that though
    Just need to decide if it is worth it :)

9. WobblyGoblin

WobblyGoblin Member

Dec 16, 2015
    At least one thing has changed - I got a legendary item in my second salvage drop today! That should please you Yoothreepio.

I was having the event server problems as well. Got back in earlier today after trying all morning. I had tried resetting the phone but that didn't help. Eventually I was just able to access the events. No idea how long it had been that way as I'm not playing very frequently and the cheating has put me off the events.

10. yoothreepio

Jan 6, 2016
    That is good news -- although the news might have been too good this weekend. I saw Sunday morning's salvage list get carried over into the afternoon window, so instead of resetting to six items it displayed the same four from the morning...with two more free items available. At that point I bought out the legendary weapon in the last two items for 60 gold (20 plus 40) to get things back to normal, and they did so with the Monday morning list. But now I'm thinking someone punted me from events over the game's own arbitrary glitch.

Truth be told, I couldn't give a damn about most events, but given that I've been competent-quested three times and able to clear it by making Legend three times (which makes me wonder if having the quest doesn't add a scoring bonus), I thought I might be able to clear it once more. No events now means no quests, though, save the weaksauce daily and one of these monster-forge-quest weeklies. Come to think of it, I think the server loss also broke my like 70-day string of daily rewards, although I didn't see much in the way of seniority bonuses over that time...

11. kirokatashi

kirokatashi Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Forging 14 chainswords is not interesting and the reward is far outweighed by the cost of forging. Not a good quest.

12. WobblyGoblin

WobblyGoblin Member

Dec 16, 2015
    This doesn't sound good :(

Given the couple of times I have raised customer service questions they have just been ignored, I don't rate your chances of it being resolved unless they decide to fix it next update. I was also missing the daily rewards when I couldn't log in. One reassuring point is that I don't think the daily rewards string needs to be consecutive. I've gone a few days without playing and the daily reward has just picked up where it left off.

13. WobblyGoblin

WobblyGoblin Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Dammit! I have been competent-quested again! Very demoralising...

14. yoothreepio

Jan 6, 2016
    Alas, I don't have any response from Johnny or customer service at this point...and that NFCA-2 error is continuing unabated. I don't know what's more annoying, the server block itself or the fact that it happened unannounced.

Even if PixelToys is trying to punish people for alleged cheating, it'd be good of them to at least inform people they're doing so, and offer an avenue of appeal. Alternately, if this is a random glitch, we REALLY need some information on it, post-haste. For all my annoyance with events' reward structure, I'm good enough to have drawn some significant material from them, and getting shut out of them for no discernible reason is rather ludicrous.

15. yoothreepio

Jan 6, 2016
    Another weekend, another glitch: I got assigned daily and weekly quests yesterday afternoon, with all five patrols good to go after I'd played them in the morning. I didn't do any of them, but when I returned about 15 minutes later I discovered that the quests were gone -- resetting in four hours -- and the patrols would take another hour to recover. As far as I can tell, the game clock just unilaterally wound itself back four hours. Given that I'm STILL competent-quested and STILL can't play events due to this NFCA-2 server error, it makes me want to stop playing until somebody at PixelToys gets their act in gear...and, just as importantly, explains all this.

Also, an addition to my wish list of stuff (buying special wargear upgrades with ore during forging, a wargear trading system between players, scrapping/forging protection toggles on wargear) that's increasingly feeling like a pre-Heresy fever dream: when an enemy drops a freakin' legendary crate in combat, can it just default to the optimum possible level for the player? I've seen a whopping two in over 3,300 patrols...the most recent being a level-322 No Surrender shield this morning. That's at least better than the level-35 Xenoshredder Gatling cannon that dropped while I was crate-farming Green Tide during forge-quest hell, but it still doesn't forge worth a damn if I put it in with five level-300 items, the best patrol loot I have right now.

16. Biggusshootus

Biggusshootus Member

May 14, 2016
    Quests broken

I'm now suffering the broken quest issue - "game progress quest" not refreshing and "daily quest" stuck on "rank competent in an event" and not registering when I do so. Issue logged with Pixeltoys support, but recording here too.

17. Maximusursus

Maximusursus Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Just reached level 50, haven't been to chapter 11 yet..! :D

I assume the 364 level items are either won in events or forged with a 6-item forge, am I right? I am not forging anything yet (I have some legendary ready for the forge!), only to get directly to the 364s..! The gauntlet will be the first ;)

Also, I haven't seen any progress quest after getting to level 50 and got a legendary gift - I suppose that's it :eek:

And haven't seen any good deals on a value pack after the Game Workshop's liveries, would love to see something great with lots of legendaries (want to get to loyalty 2/3!) :D :D

18. TeddyZ

TeddyZ Active Member

Dec 29, 2015
    I think the only way to acquire a level 364 gear (top level 399 after 5 upgrades) is to get in the top 5 in a Tiered Event. Forge is capped at 350 no matter how many 350 gears you used.

19. Kiwiklown

Kiwiklown Member

Mar 5, 2016
    What's the go with this lightning cannon on retribution?

I have played this like 20 times and still not got it, and it's the only thing left as any type of reward on this game, level 50, definitely not spending anymore money on this game as it has reached its climax, only have 7 or so medals to but at this point spending 16 plus hours forging for that is not really worth it, and the daily event rubbish with unbeatable scores has gotten rather boring, so any tips so I can be done with this short lived warhammer game??

20. yoothreepio

Jan 6, 2016
    As has been said, there's no way to forge level-364 gear -- if there was, I'd have done so an age ago. Basically, 350's been it since the level cap went to 50 in like February, which has had the side benefit of making 350s extremely long-lived in usefulness, but on an overall level breaks the late game's economy because there's nothing else to do. You can't even forge 350s without multiple lower-level legendaries -- but the only free way to mass-produce those items is by farming Nekkruncha No More or Retribution, at vanishingly small odds of success as Kiwiklown has seen.

Quite true, alas. This is where loyalty quests come into their own...unless, of course, you're competent-quested.

That's exactly why I asked Johnny about the high cost of legendary supply drops versus buying out salvage. When you can spend 300 gold every 12 hours to buy a guaranteed legendary crate (sometimes 140 if it's your next-to-last draw), the drops make no sense whatsoever.

I made rank 3 by buying 50 loyalty worth of gold, which I've rationed at 3000 gold per level-cap increase to buy 10 legendary weapons...but I only did that twice before the game hit its current stagnation. If I were buying in now, I'd begin with a Heavenly Lightning Pack (the livery and emblem are VERY tactical), then buy the balance in gold because coin yields are up from what they were a month or so back. Ore is worthless, as are the customization and value packs -- the livery/emblem effects just aren't as good as Heavenly Lightning.