Universal Warhammer 40,000: Freeblade (by Pixel Toys)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Anyfox, Nov 5, 2015.

1. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
  2. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    played a bit more. The free to play is all over your face, in it's core it's a really fun gallery shooter. But it has timers, lot's of pop-up ads, multiple currencies, revive tokens and a high difficulty.

3. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  4. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    That pretty much kills it for me. :(

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I was frustrated with the game crashing on me everytime on startup, so im glad i wouldnt have to go through mose disappointment. Thanks.

6. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Wow i’ll gotta pass... Wished they have some kind of premium unlock... I’ll easilly shell 15$ on this

7. abazigal

abazigal Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2013
    I have deleted the game a day after installing it.

The game is fun, but marred by all the IAPs that get relentlessly shoved into my face. Piloting a giant mech and blasting everything in your face is a refreshing change from every other game where you are typically outgunned and outsized. Your weapons have cooldowns, and have differing degrees of effectiveness against different enemies, so there is some strategy involved in your choice of weapons for every mission. For once, you are Goliath, not David.

Each mission is pretty short, requiring about 5 minutes to complete. In between, you can upgrade and forge new equipment. This is where it all goes downhill.

Right off the bat, you are prompted to pick up a starter set (consisting of 3 legendary items, extra gold and revives) for $9 (compared to the regular price of $14). Then there are options to scan a planet for resources (which give meagre rewards but require gold or a hefty cooldown) or purchase item loot crates, all of which require resources (which as you guessed it, require cash to procure because you can never afford them with the pitiful resources the game deals you). For instance, a loot crate costs upwards to 200 gold; after spending on "mandatory" Mech upgrades, I am constantly left with less than 20 gold.

After every mission, your mech invariably gets battle damage, which beyond a certain point compromises your damage and hp. It slowly ticks off every few minutes, and as you guessed it, there is an option to pay with gold to speed up the repair, but again, gold is very limited save for those who have no qualms about mashing the IAP-purchase button. You can also craft items, either with ore (but it takes time to finish crafting) or gold (which is crafted instantaneously). You can also pay to open up more forge slots if you want to craft more than 1 item at a time. Then I evidently need to collect enough medals and other resources to unlock subsequent campaign missions, which brings me to my next point.

You will start hitting the paywall towards the end of the 2nd campaign. Not that it's unplayable, but I find the enemies start getting so tough relative to your stats that you are pretty much stuck grinding the same few missions over and over again. And even then, you can only play for maybe half an hour at a time before it's time to rest and regain battle damage. Which is a shame (and obviously intended) because of the addictive nature of the game.

8. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Yeah, if this was a one time payment of 15.00 to 25.00 this would be up there for game of the year consideration. It's top notch production and it shows and plays like it.

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Out worldwide, folks.

10. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    okay,thanks.Not for me then.

11. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Pretty much like everybody has said in here. The gameplay is really fun, it's beautiful to look at, but lots and lots of IAPs. If you don't mind that stuff, it's worth a download. I'm still messing around with it on my iPad.

12. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Just downloading to see gpu performance . . .

13. The Grey Knight

The Grey Knight Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2014
    anyone else having a issue with your knight's color/markings changing every mission?

14. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Relaxing and entertaining, if simplistic, mass destruction. And quite pretty (though perhaps not quite as much as I'd have expected)!

15. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Ya, played for 2 days during soft launch then deleted. Iap sucked. Deleted the filth.

16. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Yea it's pretty bad ###

17. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    played the tutorial and the first mission (can't have been more than 10 minutes total) and my 6s+ was burning to the levels of my old iphone 4s running infinity blade 3.

Sure it's pretty, but all the IAPfest everyone is going on about, and the intense burning, make me very hesitant. Does this even risk permanent battery damage?

18. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Anyone else having problems on Air2?
    It crashed ten out of ten times and i can't bring myself to listen to the intro another time.

Guess it's back to farming Blackbeard in One Piece Treasure Cruise

19. Ragn4rok 74

Ragn4rok 74 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2014
    What's the install size? I'm extremely hesitant to even try this due to what everyone has said about the IAP but the vids look great so I'm thinking about just giving it a go until they annoy me.

20. Mamaw

Mamaw New Member

Jul 16, 2015
    I have done the tutorial and the first mission with an Air 2 without any problems.