Universal Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch - Tyranid Invasion (by Rodeo Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Squizzle535

Squizzle535 Active Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Earth. Probably.
    The game is quite playable without paying money. I've gotten through veteran and am in act 4 of heroic and have spent 0 dollars.

2. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Which is at the heart of the game's commercial failure. The hardcore premium minded gamers avoided it altogether, the free to play gamers avoided it altogether, and the players in the middle paid their $5, played until it became a repetitive chore and quit. Alienating huge swathes of your potential player base and a ceiling of $3.50 per player is a tough hurdle to jump.

And since like nearly all their titles (WHQ being the lone exception, even it was eventually abandoned with issues unaddressed), the post launch support was virtually non existent, there was never anything to keep people playing.

The sad thing is something as simple as a squad power leader board in from the start would have gone a long way to help this game hold player interest and keep cash coming in., but they've been making these same type of mistakes since 2011.

3. YogiSmith

YogiSmith Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    NY State, USA
    I'd like to drop $15 on the game for 10 packs but the fact that the game seems all but abandoned makes me just want to go f2p.

No iCloud support due to the game engine not supporting that. No multiplayer no more bug fixes doesn't bode well.

If it hadn't been for the "free app of the week" promo in the App Store I would have continued to pass on this very fun game.

4. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I'd call it more than "all but abandoned". Launched almost eight months ago, had three post launch updates, last one submitted just about 4 months ago, half the lifespan of this app. Outside of adding Russian language support (which was probably done largely by a bilingual fan), there has been *nothing* but bug fixes, and the majority related to their engine hanging routinely, oops. The only major bug fix was for the "minor" problem of the launch version corrupting the save file and forcing you to start over (a problem that their very first game launched with, you would think they would learn from past mistakes...). Based on that, looks as though actual *development* stopped before it even launched, and, when the cash didn't come flooding in, they threw in the towel.

Meanwhile, Fantasy War Tactics, the turn based game taking up most of my time launched four months ago with two multiplayer formats, has a third planned, has had three major content updates, at least another one on the way, and has one to two updates *weekly*.

A more similar game, the Trese Brothers' Templar Battleforce, launched just over four months ago, and has seen at least one major update a month fixing long lists of bugs AND adding in content.

The founding members of Rodeo are the embodiment of the apocryphal tale of the talented employee who quits their job at the big company because they believe they'd be better off working for themselves, but then learns although they may be the greatest person ever at what they did at their job, they lack the necessary business skills to succeed.

With so many members of the studio gone, it's not even clear any "thanks" IAP purchase on this game would go to the people who did the work. More likely you'd just reward the very people who made the decisions that doomed the game.

5. Chief Logan

Chief Logan Well-Known Member

Lol this forum is like the GD forum

6. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Anyone knows what's the function of chrono thingy? Just got one... seems like it does nothing..

7. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    Hahah!! This is funny: that was one of the first questions that came out shortly before the game was released :D
    It never got answered though :(

8. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Frankly the odds of getting something good are too small to justify spending $15. If I remember correctly there is a 1 in 20-30 chance to get a level 4 marine in a pack.

9. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    Nonetheless, it's just RNG.
    Back at the time, my first 2 packs I've got a level 4 marine and 2 level 4 weapons.
    And it was before they addressed a bug in RNG that gave lots of low level duplicates out of purchased packs.

As for the fact the game has no iCloud support, that's true but it has iTunes file sharing, so that you can backup your save file and import it on another device. I know that's not simple as iCloud save sync and most people don't even use iTunes to sync and backup their iPhones/iPads, but still it's a way to play on different devices.

10. YogiSmith

YogiSmith Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    NY State, USA
    Does the RP exploit on 2-3 still work?

The xp one does still does. Just hoping the RP one still does.

11. temozarela

temozarela Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Just started the game and like Hunter and Hunter 2 before it, I really like the game. Could someone tell me how the grenade and misc wargear works? It's it a single use item then disappears? Or is it a single mission use and replenishes after the battle?

Also is there a guide for the game or is there a method to get better card packs or more card packs?

So far the best info I found was to grind 2-2 or 2-4 for experience

Also found a loot table
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/115vT2_ShFUwynHvDl8BnaL3OU6tp_IKFp7SRkH324M8/htmlview?pli=1

Thanks

12. Angmodurian

Angmodurian Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    So many complains about the game... Its about strategy not really about hero tier. Adjust your mentality folks, you dont really need a tier 4 units to complete stages, what you need is a good positioning & tactics. I had a tier 4 blood angel marine that i got from normal play but my current best marine is untiered lol. He is the most reliable marine in my team currently. In fact i can do away with that tier 4 marine & still kick ass. My team doesnt need that guy to stay alive :)

Sometimes its just that mentality that destroy u. Look at those tier 1 marine skills carefully, some have very wonderful combi. My best marine that i mention is a tier 1 assault marine with hp recover passive, he almost is unkillable & last forever except dying to tank hits for boss. Other stages i rely on him to pave the front, never fail many missions, only those very hard ones.

13. Kiwiklown

Kiwiklown Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Agreed!! Absolutely brilliant game....one complaint however finishing A9-M4 on heroic and got tier 4 grav gun, the 3 card pack gave me master crafted plasma gun, level 1 flame pistol and tier 1 space wolf for the marine,in fact that happened a lot through the game, bit disappointed with that result, as it is essentially the end of the challenge of this game,

14. Angmodurian

Angmodurian Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    #3654 Angmodurian, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Lol sorry for that last stage torment but managed to pass it just need to be calm lol. In fact my 3 crews died on the process. That explosion blast took out the last one didnt know it deals so much dmg... Lmao

15. temozarela

temozarela Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Hope Rodeo continues to make games. They are the only ios company that I constantly buy their new games.
    Huge fan of the Hunter series and big fan of Warhammer Deathwatch a well. Hope they expand upon Warhammer Deathwatch.
    I wonder if they will try and do what games like Shadowrun did and set up a kickstarter to fund their next game or an expansion.

16. temozarela

temozarela Member

Jul 9, 2011
    #3657 temozarela, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  17. freegood

freegood Member

Nov 6, 2010
    I've been getting failures twice on heroic 3.2 "Fire Flood" after activating the gamma switch.

Is there a way to get around this?

18. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Similar games are Templar Battleforce and Demon's Rise.

19. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Both games are great. Should also include XCOM Enemy Within to the list.