Universal Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch - Tyranid Invasion (by Rodeo Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 15, 2015.

1. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    #3621 brybry, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    What? Rodeo is gone? Any links to the news as to why?

Edit***

http://www.develop-online.net/news/warhammer-quest-studio-rodeo-games-forced-to-disband-after-poor-sales/0216650

I see why now.

2. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    It's sad. There goes a quality dev :(

3. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Funny thing is... I purchased it last night before it went free lol. Not that I'm complaining. I'm actually glad I could pay for a great game such as this one. Maybe they'll have a reunion app some time in the not so far future.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

5. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Just got the game and started playing. Pretty good so far. Am I right in understanding that there's no cover system? That seems off for a turn-based gun-slinging game.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
  7. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Weird, but kinda hopeful, I guess. :?

Did you have any luck contacting them before posting the first story about RodeoMatthew's forum post?
    It looked like they had been afk for a long time, and TA's story made them suddenly realise people were still caring about them and their games and get out of the woods.

And of course I understand that personal stuff happens.
    And that for small indie studios, even losing only one important member may put a full stop to everything.

So, let's just be hopeful there is a future for all those very talented guys.
    And that their great games will be supported for a few more iOs updates :p

8. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    Yep, no cover besides hiding behind stuff. It may be a bit different, but it works well. It's a great game, I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's a bit hard on completionists, because it requires an insane amount of grinding to get all marines and items, and without skirmishes or fresh content, it eventually gets boring. Still, it was worth more than the 5$ they asked for when released, and it's an essential download to any tbs fan now that's it's free.

I'm also glad there's still life on Rodeo, if it means their games will carry on through the iOS updates. It's still weird, though, since if I understood correctly, the core team is gone. We don't know anything about what prompted this situation, besides "you're only as good as your last game", but for me at least, Rodeo's last game was awesome, even if not faultless, and it deserved a better fate.

9. ForTheEmperor

ForTheEmperor Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Well thats happy(er) news

Smiles here for that news.

How about a port to the Apple TV? It may not be a big platform yet, but the dev tools apparently make a port simple, its the games size that could be an issue. With the tiny number of apps on the TV store, and the turn based nature it could easily shine there. If its free it may also give it a new lease of life, enticing the curious that are unwilling to pay for apps. But hopefully willing to put some money into IAP card packs. The actual gameplay is so fun I hope it works out for them.

10. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    So is there still no way to restore progress or purchases in this game?

11. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    I really want to play this on my droid.... great game and played flawlessly on my ipad though~ I hope they'll be fine..

12. frashart

frashart Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2015
  13. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    App of the week. That's why it's free now. That's a good sign, right?

14. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    My magic eight ball says "outlook doubtful".

The probable reason for this "coincidence" is the short spurt of gaming site news stories about their de facto dissolution let the Rodeo team who owns their games know they're not totally forgotten OR someone at Apple's AppStore division was a fan and saw said stories. Phone calls were made, agreements made, and a hail mary thrown.

The catch-22 is that only if the promotion results in an influx of cash would anything else ever happen, but the whole reason they need something to happen is the IAP structure is a poor fit for the existing game, making the chances of significant income from the promotion weak at best.

IF the game had multiplayer, IF the game had a better way of acquiring marines, IF the game had more marine chapters in it to bring out the fans, it might be a different story, but free or not, there are so many better suited games using this sort of monetization that it's unlikely to change anything*

*On paper, I am probably their ideal customer. Love turn based strategy, love turn based squad games in particular, a moderate fan of the Warhammer 40K universe, AND not at all adverse to IAP. As a point of reference, since I bought Deathwatch, I've spent $173 on IAP across nine games, with the biggest amount being Future Fight at $76, and the least amount being $5 shared by three different games (all nine games being free up front also). Yet, I was never beyond weakly tempted to drop another penny on Deathwatch, and I didn't. When the grind outpaced my enjoyment I just quit playing. It has no incentive to spend on because of choices made by Rodeo.

A much smarter plan of action would have been to release the game as single player with just the first two difficulty levels and only through tier 3 marines and gear available. Marines would have been directly recruitable for set requisition points, along with gear. Completing each campaign difficulty level would have rewarded a tier 4 marine of your choice from a limited roster. Four to six weeks after launch they should have added multiplayer to both grow and hold interest. Eight to ten weeks after launch they should have brought in Heroic difficulty with key, good rewards for completing it along with tier 4 marines and gear, with some of the stuff available at a gear shop for direct purchase with RP, but a desirable subset available only through the card pack system. After that, the game's further development would be sustainable and they could keep up attention and income with the release of new chapters and competitive events for limited edition marines.

For better or worse, if you have a competitive ladder in your game, there is a subset of the user base who will spend arguably ridiculous amounts of money to be at/near the top of the ladder. But a game with a piss poor odds gacha system and no ladder was doomed, and no app of the week promotion is going to change the square peg trying to go in a round hole problem it has.

15. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Game is now free!!

16. ForTheEmperor

ForTheEmperor Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Nailed it.

Nailed it there. Spot on why this great game didn't get to shine.

17. Squizzle535

Squizzle535 Active Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Earth. Probably.
    Deathwatch

I completed normal mode by the skin of my teeth. I was in 9.4 and running from the explosion, I got almost to the end, only losing one guy, my devestator with a heavy plasma. Then I hit the hive tyrant. I layed into him but he killed all but one of my guys, a tactical marine with a t2 flamer. I had no chance of killing him with that one guy so I decided to try to get past and make a break for it. I ran behind cover and he followed me. The explosion literally right behind me. I run the other way around the 2x2 cover and got the luckiest break ever. He chased me around the back of the cover and ended in the blast area. He was killed with my marine at about 20-40 health. I almost had a heart attack upon finding the warrior and fire tyranid, though I luckily killed the fire one and the warrior missed both his attacks. Normal mode complete. Also when is iOS multiplayer planned for?

18. YogiSmith

YogiSmith Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    NY State, USA
    #3638 YogiSmith, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Looks like I picked the wrong time to start playing this game. So much potential but now that Rodeo is/maybe gone it looks like nothing new will be coming out.

19. YogiSmith

YogiSmith Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    NY State, USA
    Probably never. I just finished skimming the 364 pages of this thread. Looks like Rodeo is gone.

20. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    It's not. Deathwatch joins the Hunters games from Rodeo as a game that was launched promising multiplayer without any actual game plan in place to implement such a feature. Unsurprisingly, a game initially sold as premium but with a gear and marine acquisition system straight out of free to play competitive multiplayer games but NO multiplayer failed in the marketplace.

Functionally, Rodeo exists only as a legal entity at this point, the overwhelming majority of the team members have been gone for months, and in spite of a "we're not dead" protest article from one of the founding members, I'd be amazed if a single line of code has been written for one of their titles during the months since the exodus happened.

Enjoy the game for what it is, because that's all there ever will be in all likelihood.