Universal Warhammer 40,000: Carnage - (by Roadhouse Games Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 7, 2014.

1. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Lol the bad is like a wall of text... Would u recommend it? Not cheap at the price

2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You listed all those Warhammer games but missed off the best of all....Warhammer Quest!

I want to just hit the buy button but it is expensive compared to other games especially for sounding simple and not very tactical so far.

3. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    #63 Kirenx, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    Honestly, I would not. While it seems like it shouldn't be a bad run and gun game, it is a pretty mediocre one. Too many stages can be passed with 3 stars simply by running forward continuously shooting, barely actually seeing your kills, and occasionally jumping over a pit which amounts to as much mixing things up as you seem to get. Mini-bosses and bosses could have their health cut in half and they would be more reasonable length fights. I'd probably feel more comfortable recommending the game if some of the non-combat mechanics, such as the different currencies, were explained better. As it is, the game is a bit of a mess. I currently can't even progress further on the map as it says I need more stars, and yet there are not enough stars on the map I have access to, to unlock the next section. This could well be due to something I am missing, but without any guidance from the game, it's pretty much trial and error searching through menus trying to find what you can or are supposed to do next.

Edit: Just figured out you have to select these non-descript icons on each stage you complete to activate a challenge. Each challenge resets the stars for a particular mission. That would be one of the things that new players could really use a basic tutorial telling them about.

4. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I love Warhammer Quest, but I was just listing 40K titles. Definitely though WQ is my favourite turn base strategy game on IOS. I actually think Carnage has potential to be a decent action game, but it needs some patching and polish first. Right now it seems like the only reason every player that tries it won't simply blast through the campaign is that you need to 3 star a lot of stages to unlock new zones, and occasionally a few stages are really annoying to 3 star. This means the game's longevity will mainly stem from forcing players to repeatedly grind stages for loot and/or replay annoying stages again and again until they can 3 star them and move on to new content.

5. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    One thing I wish the developers of Carnage had taken from games like Contra, is more dynamic enemies. I think what leaves me feeling lackluster about Carnage, is that it is supposed to be hardcore action, and yet enemies simply sit there. If you continuously had swarms of enemies coming at you as you pushed forward, it would be a lot more exciting than the current system of running through empty stage until you come to a clump of Orks standing still and waiting for your approach, blasting them quickly, and running through more empty stage until the next clump. There is a lot of empty stage in each mission compared to how many enemies are present, and the enemies themselves don't seem all that excited to be there, rarely taking any initiative to come at you before you close the distance.

6. rseller1

rseller1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks for this info - it was helpful. This game looks kinda fun, and artistically impressive, but I bet the gameplay gets old very fast, and there are better titles to purchase tonight. For $7 I would expect no IAP, as well :-/ if it did not have IAP, I'd probably take the plunge, but instead I'll wait for now.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think its good theyre covering lots of bases though, you have the strategic turn based Warhammer, you then had that one a few weeks ago (tower defense type game) and now this one for people who want a bit of light non-strategic action and a simple run n gun.

I havent come across a paywall or anything yet, pretty basic levels, could do with so more items to jump on/climb up etc but on the other hand they said there'll be new worlds in the future so that could give some good variety depending on how this does.

8. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #68 Nekku, May 8, 2014
    I think it's quite good so far. Well, the price tag is a little bit too steep but well 3$ just for the franchise I guess, heh.
    It seems like missions are incredibly easy early on so you will rush through them in no time. But you can replay these missions in various modes (2 additional modes) were enemies will explode after killing them, getting more health, more enemies than usual, etc. so it's much harder to get 3 stars. Score ranking is based off of different things like enemies killed, combos, health left, etc. If you kill enemies with ranged attacks only you won't get a high multiplier which can cost you a high ranking in the end of an mission. Swapping between melee, ranged and blocking enemies attacks is the way to go.
    You will get special points if you beat these modes which will grant you special loot after you reach a set limit of points. I didn't had any problems with the tutorial cause it's well explained considering there isn't rly much to explain.
    Loot and score mechanics are also obvious and easy to understand, imo.
    In its core it's a simplistic more runner like hack and slay with simple rpg mechanics and okay graphics.

9. Aezio26

Aezio26 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Director
    Newark on Trent, England
    People seem to forget that these games are in their infancy..who knows what will be added/tweaked in the future :)

10. Aezio26

Aezio26 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Director
    Newark on Trent, England
    Orc campaign where you fight as a rampaging Orc..against the ultramarine or chaos scum? :p

11. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany
    Does anyone knows how the multiplayer is? I still hope it's like kill team :D

12. funny_man_vanya

Sep 24, 2013
    Sweet idea, I would easily pay ten bucks for this game if they had that, good coop and a less flawed enemy placement system.

13. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Not out also in Greek Appstore (or at least i cannot find a working link anywhere on the web right now)...

14. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #74 Nekku, May 8, 2014
    I'm now at Lv 14 and missions are getting harder and harder. No way to just rush through them. You need indeed some tactical skills or the first couple of minions will take you down in no time. But it's doable with some skill and at least the right armor/weapon setup.
    They also have some serious damage making skills like a burn condition which will take you down from full health to death in seconds.
    I'm fully geared with HP reg armor and weapons which regenerating my HP on each strike but even then it's tough and I barely getting 3 stars on my first couple of attempts let alone the additional modes.
    Still on my first character and didn't touched the Bloodangel campaign as of yet.
    I've have to admit that the beginning of the game make it seems like a dumb hack and slash game but it's not.
    Oh and there is a difficulty setting slider in the mission briefing screen (100%,150%,200%) if you think it's still too easy. Dunno if the loot is different on higher settings though.

15. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    warhammer quest is the best! Others just carry the titles, nothing more.

16. Doelago

Doelago Active Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Does not seem to be available in the Finnish App Store? Is it a soft launch or what? :confused:

17. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Neither in Russian. Never heard of soft launch in US )

18. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    If this was a 3D dungeon crawler in an open world like dungeon hunter this game would've been 100x better.

19. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I can't even get it to download. I keep getting a pop up saying unable to finish downloading. I have 8gigs of open space on my iPad mini so it's not from a lack of space.

20. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but keep in mind you can't just play through the campaign co-op. Each stage has to be unlocked in singleplayer first by completing all the objectives for whatever challenge set you want to play the co-op on.