Universal Warhammer 40,000: Carnage - (by Roadhouse Games Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 7, 2014.

1. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    A few questions to the ones that already got it.
    1) It requires internet cinnection?
    2) How bad the iAP and timers are?
    3)What is the installed size?
    4)Is it worth it?
    Thanks

2. Opinion

Opinion Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I'll wait for that sale

3. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    #43 toxiccheese, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    I was hoping for so much more than a single lane hack n slasher. The inability to reverse direction and go back and forth across the levels is unfortunate. The animations look stiff. Hacking at a wall only to see it just disappear is not good. It just looks and feel unpolished. Overall it just feels on rails with very little depth. Even the game title 'Carnage' is uninspired and generic.

4. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    6.99 and IAP? No thanks.

5. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    No thanks! Overpriced! Better than the last crap but still rubbish! Come on the iPods better than this!

6. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Not out in Japan and not out in Taiwan.... is it normal? Soft launch?

7. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    #47 Zeillusion, May 8, 2014
    Wait you can move freely? I mean I know it's not a runner. But you really can't move backwards?

Yeah, I was super excited for this. I'll pass, lots of good games tonight, and this has no good impressions.

Oh it appears there's a back arrow but you can only step back a few inches. Camera doesn't nice with you it's locked in, unless you move forward.

8. Ninja_Blade_Diego

Nov 25, 2013
    What do they mean by "The Founders' First Blood Edition"???

9. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Game Impressions

Just bought the game and played for a hour or so. First impressions were pretty negative. It's $6.99 plus IAP for GOLD. You need gold and other materials to make new weapons and such and you can buy IAP for the other items as well?? (Maybe) oh apparently there is also a timer to wait for your weapons to be ready to use. Graphics look ok i guess and controls are alright. Gameplay is simply a button masher no strategy or nothing. You just go straight and attack that's it with occasional boss battles. I just wasted 7$ when i could've bought 2bit cowboy and other stuff. :(

10. Ninja_Blade_Diego

Nov 25, 2013
    $6.99 !!!! WTF #HellToTheNaw

11. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    2bit cowboy and devil shard are totally worth it :p

12. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    #52 worldcitizen1919, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    Its expensive

13. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Not turn based? I was hoping for a good turn based.. Completed the first warhammer though.

14. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Gamecenter, yes. No achievements, leaderboards.

15. FrehleyzComet

FrehleyzComet Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Foreman
    Pennsylvania
    I was wondering the same thing.

16. B30

B30 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Planet Earth
    #56 B30, May 8, 2014
    $ 6,99 dollars – so how freemium is it, or is it worth buying?

Edit: Sorry, overlooked page 5 of the thread.
    $ 6,99-, IAP and timers – passing.

17. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    #57 Kirenx, May 8, 2014
    So I now own all three 40K games on IOS, Storm of Vengeance, Space Hulk, and Carnage. I’ll say right off the back, if you want a 40K game with a variety of units, the ability to have quick matches, and good multiplayer experience get Storm of Vengeance. If you want a longer, arguably deeper, but definitely more atmospheric experience and are willing to sacrifice unit variety, get Space Hulk. If you are looking for a less action-packed take on Contra, Carnage may be for you.

My initial impressions from the first dozen or so missions:

The good:
    -Controls react flawlessly and the button placement makes for smooth playing.
    -Music is solid, and graphically it is reasonably well done.
    -While there is IAP, I have not seen a need for it.

The bad:
    -The game is insanely simplistic. Enemies basically stand around until you reach them and often if you just keep firing your bolter you will clear your path as you progress with little trouble. As enemies gain more health your basic attack pattern changes to spamming range to clear weak enemies and then spamming melee to clear the tougher units.
    -You cannot, I repeat cannot, exit to the menu once you start a mission, you can only reset the mission.
    -The opening mission is confusing. You are a super powerful marine, you run forward a bit then auto-die and start as a much weaker marine. The story seems very difficult to follow, as does exactly what you are supposed to be doing. You have to do several missions before you get to any sort of map, and then there is no clear tutorial on what you are supposed to do next or what your options are, such as utilizing multiplayer or if it is even available.
    -Missions are short, like 2-3 minutes short. This isn’t necessarily bad, but if the longevity of the game doesn’t extend beyond completing the campaign, it seems like it may not take long to get through.
    -I have no idea what gains you 3 stars. Perhaps I missed instructions, but I never saw what the criteria was. *Edit* It seems to be based on points, which in turn are based on various factors such as time. However, these goals don't seem to be given to you at anytime, so you pretty much have to just run through a particular stage and hope that you have fulfilled each requirement.
    -Most platformer games build up a players skills throughout the levels leading up to the boss. The boss then tests those skills. The first boss you face in Carnage forces you to use skills you haven’t previously learned in the game. The boss also started off using several attack patterns and then switch to standing in one spot spamming the same attack again and again. This may not have been working as intended.
    -I didn’t particularly get how loot distribution worked. I saved up and spent all my cash to buy a good melee weapon. I was then rewarded a melee weapon practically as good for free the next mission. There are multiple types of currencies, items, and point systems that may or may not help gain new equipment. Again, a lack of explanation had me feeling lost. Heck, I don’t even know what all leveling does.
    -Just found out there are challenges when and if you want to redo a mission. And yet again, an explanation on what they do and where to activate them would have been nice. Playing the game, I can't help but feel that it was made for the developers, basically people that know what they are doing and not new players.

18. Chaos_u

Chaos_u Well-Known Member

19. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    #59 Kirenx, May 8, 2014
    I will add, the bosses are pretty cool, but wow they take forever to kill that the fights end up just dragging on well past the point of fun. If you slip up, you either have to use resources to respawn or restart the entire fight from the start. Yay! Also, for anyone thinking of buying this game for multiplayer; you can only play multiplayer on stages you have beaten with a 3 star rating.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Love the icon. It's like someone's taken a bite out of the corner of it

Yeah the games simple. A decent run n gun type of game. Price is a bit high but still not too bad. Bought and enjoying it so far