Universal War of the Zombie - (by Jacques Deul)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Can you post some impressions? Would love to hear from someone who isn't a beta tester or journalist

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    After how closely you've been following War of the Zombie I'd have thought you'd be game for an instabuy, there's not much risk in answering your own question and "TOFTT" here.

3. Ruzu

Ruzu Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I don't know about you, but to me, the value of a game drops tremendously if there's nothing to keep you going after you "beat" a game. I bought Spiral Episode 1 recently. I thought it was going to be some 1 time adventure game that gave me a few hours of entertainment. Little did I realize that there's an endless gauntlet for me to test my skills at. The few hours of entertainment I assumed I would have instantly turned into an endless entertainment train. That's value.

Furthermore, if there's an end, it feels as though I'm going to part with this game soon. I hate that feeling. The games that I *have* purchased in the past, AC3, CoD:BO2, Skyrim, and Virtual Tennis on steam all have *some* kind of endless mode, so it doesn't ever truly feel over once you've completed the main objectives.

In the case of War of the Zombie, the main objective, which also happens to be a kind of endless mode, is survival. Now, granted I haven't actually played the game yet, but if the zombies get progressively harder the longer you stay alive, that adds a welcome boost of challenge that'll have you on your toes!

4. phandaal

phandaal Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    People are tiptoeing around like this is another $20 game. It's 3 bucks people, and offers a fairly innovative and fun sounding idea. Plus the devs sound committed to making it better.

Stop mincing about and take the plunge! I'll post some imporessions tonight.

5. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    War of the Zombie is pretty awesome...

6. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Tell that to my wallet that has spent a fortune over the last month.

Also, no one wants to take 3 dollar and throw it away if the game doesn't meet what we find enjoyable. Too many promises from developers that they will add this or that have gone unanswered due to various reasons.

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #47 undeadcow, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    Have you gentlemen and ladies seen the screenshots? There's a trailer too...

8. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    Beta test this thing! Not much of an fun game though :/

9. Pivi

Pivi Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    If we could get a campaign mode with an end like 'the world is infected, cleanse it', than I'll buy the game ASAP. Endless games only interests me for a very short time...

On the other hand, the game looks great, I've put it in my watchlist. :)

10. mac00l

mac00l Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Game Impressions

I was thinking of pointing here the bugs and let downs that I've found after playing a couple of hours this game. Truth being said, I'll rather send it to the devs to their facebook page directly.

What I do will tell you is that it feels like an unfinished game. Don't get me wrong, the idea and (potential) scale of the game is awesome. But in it's current state is nothing but the same over and over again.

First I was mad, thinking I got scam. Now I'm feeling more like I'm backing up a bunch of indie developers to finish what could (again potentially) be a great game.

Right now it is kind of a "zombie gunship" but instead of being on a plane, you control 4 soldiers in something that feels more arcade than tactical.

Currently the carrier rather than being a command center, is nothing but an interface to get you from one mission to the other. Because of so many aspects not being implemented yet.

11. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    IAP free and awesome

Plague inc and xcom like. There is incredible detail and management skills put to good use. It is amazing. from being a commander at rescues/raids to being a commander at a political level - negotiating with governments and getting goods and funds like humvees or helis. great great great. perhaps better than xcom

12. Jef Crisis

Jef Crisis Member

Jun 12, 2013
    playing on 4s. good fun. only problem I've had so far is the controls for selecting/splitting the squad and manual aiming aren't exactly intuitive. I'm sure to get the hang of them tho. really nicely presented game. kind of like Xcom meets Cannon Fodder in a zombie apocalypse. certainly worth the £1.99.

13. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    a really excellent game guys, good management and a lot of things to think and do, like in the good old X-Com and the newer Plague Inc. Perfect graphics and sounds, at least for this kind of games... what else do you want? :confused:

i don't really understand some people, are always looking the bad side of things!!!

14. Bronxsta

I'm still on the tutorial and I can tell I'm going to love this game. One, the graphics are better than I expected and you zoom in pretty close. Two, I really like the command mechanic. Very intuitive and simple.

How do I toggle auto fire? I'm at the part of the tutorial and my brother had distracted me so I missed what to do.

And has anyone tried the different difficulty levels yet? That's another aspect I found impressive: customizable difficulty, nine different combinations all together

15. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Hmm. I'm not convinced. The spread could be more rapid at the beginning but could slow down as the community gets better at fighting the infection. That's how most epidemics play out---although they are hard to fight at first when they are relatively small, they actually get easier to fight later when they are more widespread, because the tools for fighting them are changing too.

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So does it track your top score, like a deep strategic score chasing survival game?

17. Bronxsta

Sent some suggestions to the dev.
    - Quick guide in the pause menu (how to toggle auto fire, how to command squad, etc.)
    - Weapon ideas (Hatchet, Baton, Truncheon, Flamethrower, M60 LMG, Minigun)

Here's the Facebook link if you want to send your own suggestions:
    https://www.facebook.com/warofthezombie
    https://www.facebook.com/vdvgames

Also here are pictures of the dockyard map/terrain type coming the next update
    Full view of the dockyard map for the upcoming WOTZ update. Water will now be a new terrain type added to relevant maps, as will other smaller objects such as moveable/destructible fuel canisters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I would assume (and hope) so. As it stands, you literally cannot "win" this game, so failing to keep track of how well you did/how long it took you to eventually lose wouldn't be a particularly smart move to lump on top of that.

I'd expect something like the end of XCOM, which provides four pages of stats covering everything you did in the game (e.g. how many people died, how much you spent on research, how many ground missions you went on, how long it took you to reach certain milestones, and so forth).

19. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #59 undeadcow, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    On the field map, under nether each unit's name panel used to select them is a red Autofire button. Tap that button to toggle autofire on/off for each individual unit. Once autofire is off there is a small crosshair icon that appears above the unit panel, tap that then tap anywhere to shoot in that direction. When autofire is off stationary units will still run defensively and occassionally fire as a last resort.
    In the App Store description the developer mentioned Game Center score comparisons. Each mission outcome has a rating (i.e. “Excellent”) and a financial reward (i.e. “Mission Payment: 6,000,000). Team members accrue experience each level and may promote in rank. Otherwise individual field mission outcomes don’t seem high score driven. Overall there is an “infection count” that shows how many humans remain and a total money figure. There’s no clear score during the gameplay so I want to say the scoring reference feels like an afterthought to incorporate Game Center. I've never really followed Game Center and need would need to get to wifi to double check how it's implements in War of the Zombie. In some ways War of the Zombie is more a sandbox game where you have team and resources so games are lengthy but it's the individual real time strategy levels that can be heated or difficult. I've never played it anticipating an end score.

Edit: Game Center leaderboards consist of Days Survived, Zombies Killed, Funds Raised, and Money Spent.

20. Eseres

Eseres Member

May 10, 2013
    Former graphics designer
    Norway
    I just downloaded and tried this game, and i must say its pretty good.
    Its very tactical, i must say that. For those of you that have tried The Walking Dead: Assault, War of the Zombie is close to something like TWD: Assault, but this one is a little better. Highly recommended for fans of tactical games and a must have for zombie game lovers. The way the game plays and the controls is awesome. I think its a little more technical than TWD: Assault and that makes it alot better. I also feel like this game is highly addictive, even though i've only played the tutorial and the first actual mission. But so far, im loving the crap out of it. This game is probably best played on a larger screen though. Have not tried it on iPhone, but it works great on iPad(4). The game crashed once so far and that was the very first time i launched it, but it worked well the second time. Maybe its just some nonsense with my iPad, i don't really know. A later update might fix that, so we'll just see about that in the future.

Now to something i think would be a cool feature in this game. A multiplayer function. Don't you think it would have been cool playing this game with your friends in a co-op setting? I think so! Lets say you could take your best marine and join others on a rescue mission and save civilians while splattering zombie brains and guts all over. That would be pure awesome! But we can only hope. I can actually see it happen somewhere in my twisted, fragile little mind.

Thanks to TA for the heads up on this game, if it wasn't for this great TA app on my iPad i would have missed this awesome game for sure. So, thanks TA!!! :)