Universal War of the Zombie - (by Jacques Deul)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    That's my shared sentiment! I said it in an earlier post or on anther thread that this looks like the game World War Z should have been!

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #22 undeadcow, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    I will amend my initial impressions post because I can't definitively say there is no end to War of the Zombie. For some reason I infered that but it's possibly incorrect. The open world is so large there is a lot of content before you get to an end, if there is one.

There are larger horders as well as some isolated zombies. There's even a cool nightvision feature to help find them those last few zombies hidden in buildings or obstructed behind trees on the large maps.

Edit: The text below from the app description implies to me War of the Zombie is endless. How does it strike you?

Although it doesn't feel like a game of a high score chasing nature the app description is suggestive of that...

3. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Has anyone else played the game yet? Any new impressions?

4. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Read page 1 and the rest of the thread

5. Bronxsta

Undeadcow was a beta tester and the only person who has posted impressions so far. I was wondering if anyone else has played

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... So far only UCow has posted imps. I really like the sound of the game from him, but im not really enjoying Plague type games, even though this is only slightly similar to that.

Im about to catch some Zs, when i wake up in about 4 hours, if there arent more imps, i'll cave.

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm as curious as anyone else to hear other player's impressions on War of the Zombie; it's not perfect but I'm surprised for a game this ambitious there's not more buzz.

8. Bronxsta

#28 Bronxsta, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    Yeah it's a shame. Besides Pockettactics, I haven't seen any other previews and no mention of it any other sites today. TA even ignored it today.

I hope it gets more attention once it's released. A dev that releases a premium game with no IAP should be supported. not punished with shit sales

9. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Only if the game is actually worth supporting, though. "Buy my game! There's no IAP in it!" isn't nearly enough on its own to warrant a purchase. :p

10. Bronxsta

Of course. But the glowing previews on Pockettactics and UC's info seem to indicate the game will be good or, at the very least, not be crap.

11. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #31 undeadcow, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    Pocket Tactics preview (...because I was curious); http://pockettactics.com/2013/06/10/no-safe-place-a-hands-on-preview-of-war-of-the-zombie/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Same. I need something. I was able to get past it in more "mindless" time killing games like Punch Quest and Jetpack Joyride, but in a game like this... I need something, some sort of achieveable something.

I'll keep my eye on it, and I understand the reason that people could go crazy and fall in love with the game. I hope it does well, we need to fill the App Store with good stuff!

13. Bronxsta

Well do we even know this for certain? I don't think it was even confirmed that there is "no end". I doubt that's how it works. Even X Com has an "end"

14. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    On the plus side, this doesn't seem like a major issue to resolve, if it is indeed the way the game works at the moment. Just tweak the numbers so that the game doesn't revolve around seeing how long it takes you to lose, and allow the player to push back to the point where they can eventually win and reach a conclusive positive ending, even if that takes a while.

Like Plague Inc., there could be unexpected developments and setbacks to hinder the player when they think they're doing well, but just give them a way to beat the game. Create separate "campaign" and "endless" modes if need be.

We're going by this statement in the app description:

"War of the Zombie has been developed as a 'near' open-ended (it ends if there are no more humans)"

This suggests that the game is an open-ended sandbox that only comes to an actual end if you screw up royally and doom the planet.

15. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly! I don't want, in a game like this, to just be trying to plug holes or spin plates until the dam bursts or the plates come crashing down.

In my RTS and other style games I really enjoy a finite end to a level and a finite end and goal beyond that. Having a win result should be an option and if the only situation is "live until the unavoidable death of every human" then it just won't scratch that itch.

Honestly it still bothers me on "endless" runners, an it's why Rock Runners was a game I really enjoyed.

16. Bronxsta

I posted a message on the dev's Facebook, asking about this as well as suggesting a seperate campaign and survival mode if "endless" is the case

17. vdvgames

vdvgames Active Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Chief Game Guru
    Singapore/Bangkok
    Hi everyone and thanks for the comments good & bad, I can't possibly cover every comment in one post but I'd like to start with below. :)

The main thing we want to do with War of the Zombie is to create a continually growing game, that means adding new maps, mission types and other features in the game with each new update. More importantly we do value the feedback from our players and if we're able to, add, remove, tweak the game so more players are really happy with the game.

Some of you mentioned not enjoying open-ended games, I totally understand, the main reason War of the Zombie is 'near' open-ended is the fact that you begin the game at the very start of the zombie outbreak, so eliminating the threat in-game completely would be fairly easy since only a few countries would start infected with only a few zombies. If it was a real zombie-outbreak (if it were ever possible) it would be nearly impossible to stop even from the beginning due to the rapid spread of the infection, but then it would also be impossible to get to grips with the game difficulty and every country would be 100% infected in a matter of days.

So we decided to allow our players to choose how slow/fast the infection spreads and number of zombies on screen at any time is (by adjusting the outbreak class in the options popup, outbreak class 2 (default) has a slow (easy) global spreading of the infection and around 25 zombies onscreen any one time, while outbreak class 4 is a Fast (hard) mode with the infection spreading much more rapidly around the globe as well as way more zombies onscreen at any one time. These can be adjusted by the player pre-mission anytime, and the zombie type (regarding their speed) can be adjusted anytime even in mission.

If many of you still like the idea of getting to an end goal we can, in a future update, incorporate another game mode with an end goal, but i would see that mode most likely starting out with many countries being infected as well as many more zombies in each country to eliminate.

As i mentioned what we value most is player feedback on what you want to see in the game (and if we can) we'll add those in. The initial release of the game is only the beginning of our War of the Zombie game, if you like you can think of it as the first chapter in a series of continuing chapters that will be updated for free on a monthly basis. Other then newly added content, more of the truth behind Safe Industries and the zombie outbreak will start appearing in the game so there will always be new things to discover as you play.

Lastly, I hope you guys can all understand that we're a tiny indie developer and make games purely out of our passion for developing games and of course for War of the Zombie out of our love for zombies! We don't have the huge budget or vast teams at our disposal like medium or big developers and I believe our ultimate goals are also vastly different. We want to share War of the Zombie with like-minded zombie fans and try to give you everything you want in a game like WOTZ, that's one reason we don't want to add in IAP and try to keep the price as low as possible.

If i'm correct in saying 'think of War of the Zombie as a journey not a destination', then hop on and I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride :)

You're all also most welcome to leave comments and suggestions on or facebook.com/warofthezombie fan page too :)

Jacques
    Van der Veer Games

18. Bronxsta

Thanks for the info. Always nice to see a dev want a close relationship with the community. Hope your game sells well

19. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Looks kinda cool and the dev sounds committed...plus no iaps. Purchased!