iPad War of the Dragon Lords

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by theone1007, May 11, 2009.

1. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    #1 theone1007, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

[App Store Link, 0.99]

Developer's Website
    Help and Guide

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    Looks like a Risk type game.
    Lux touch is free...

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I was just going to post this, glad I check the forum before I submit

It looks like Strategery and Dice Wars. I wish they said more about the dragon powers cause that would sway my decision

At 4 bucks it's hard to justify buying it when I have Strategery and don't know what the differences are

4. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  5. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Oooo a solid risk style game could be fun!

Um ps I kinda like the artstyle!

6. Funkyfresh Cecil

May 11, 2009
    Price Drop and more info

Hi Touch Arcaders,

Allow me to introduce myself... I'm Funky Swadling, from A.C.R.O.N.Y.M. Games. I'm the lead programmer on War of the Dragon Lords.

Sorry about the pricing confusion -- we had intended to launch with a special introductory price of 99 cents, but that didn't get get applied at launch time. I've fixed it now, so (if 99 cents isn't too much) please give the game a download and let us know what you think!

I wouldn't pay $3.99 for a launch title without knowing whether it's good or not, either! We figure that at 99 cents it might be worth the Risk (pun intended!)

If you're curious about the gameplay, it's extremely Dice Warsy, with a couple of neat twists. (skip this part if you're not familiar with Dice Wars):

1) A failed attack will reduce the defending stack by one unit, which allows you to break through an 8 stack if you have enough frontage to a territory.

2) Reinforcements come after all players have moved, rather than after each player. The reinforcement count is based on how many connected territories you had at the end of your turn, so if you lose some in the meantime you still get value from them.

3) Turn order changes each turn, ordered from lowest reinforcements to highest

4) There are two special territories: a CASTLE territory which gives you +1 unit to your defense roll, and a MAGIC territory which allows you to double up your dragon power

5) Coolest of all: Dragon Powers. Each turn you gain one point of Dragon Power (two points if you hold the MAGIC territory at the beginning of your turn) to a maximum of 5 points. You can use one Dragon Power per turn. Spend one point to remove one enemy unit from any territory, spend three points to remove one enemy unit from any territory and two units from a random adjacent territory, or use all five points to knock any territory (even an 8-stack) down to one unit and scorch the earth so no reinforcements are gained from the territory.

We've also done some (I think) pretty cool stuff with the graphics and interface -- abstracting the dice as an odds slider, letting you preview the odds, and we have neat animating units.

Anyway, enough from me... if you download it, I'd love to hear what you think!

If there are any further questions that you have, I'll do my best to answer them here.

Thanks for listening!

Funky

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    That sounds amazing, I like the twist with special territories and Dragon Powers.

Now I just have to wait for the AppStore to refresh with the new price and I'll put up impressions and write a review on itunes

8. Funkyfresh Cecil

May 11, 2009
    I hope the store refreshes tonight... I've seen it take a couple of hours sometimes :-(

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Sorry again about the price confusion...

Funky

9. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ooooo looks cool I will snipe it so I know when the price drop registers.

10. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  11. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Hey there, welcome to the forums, it's great to see dev's on the front lines!

12. Funkyfresh Cecil

May 11, 2009
    Long time lurker, first time poster :)

It's nice that A.C.R.O.N.Y.M. is the publisher as well as the developer... no pesky marketing / legal departments to get in the way of posting on forums.

13. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Welcome to Touch Arcade. I hope you will see that being a member has quite a few advantages that lurking does not (plus you are not hated by the rest of the community any more)

I agree it is always a positive thing to the devs active on the site as you can talk to them about possible improvements etc.

14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    99 cent price just went live!

15. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Yeah! The developer hopped on which is always good :) Glad to see you working hard and joining the forums... I was thinking that 3.99 was a little bit steep. Thanks for the price drop notice.

16. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I've played just 3 games and I've lost them all. Yellow AI got better army in all my games. My reinforcements were added where I didn't need them most of the times (it seems random), breaking my strategy. Dragon power is a nice touch and it can be very handy. Fast paced turns (which is good).

The production is well balanced (nice graphics and sounds).

It could have a simple statistics (winnings/losses).

So far so good. :)

17. Xood

Xood Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Casual Game Developer (Coder,CTO,CEO)
    Germany
    Would love to see a video of the game, this would make my decisions easier to buy the game. :) Even at $0,99 I am not buying everything, as there is just _so_ much coming out every day. And sadly there are a lot of unpolished games by hobby developers (which is neither good or bad).

I am not such a big fan of games that only feature one mission, without being able to unlock, receive awards or anything you can achieve. This leaves me without accomplishment as once the mission if over I have nothing left expect maybe a high score entry. Of course this is just my person view.

Does "War of the Dragon Lords" game feature real missions or only a random one? Can I unlock things, etc?

As for the screenshots, I think they are not very well presented. Looks all confusing to me, except the main menu. So maybe (if there is) it would be nice to show some other screens then the same map three times with changing "colors".

18. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Think you are confused on the type of game this is.. there are no missions.. you play to win like in chess/risk.

19. Xood

Xood Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Casual Game Developer (Coder,CTO,CEO)
    Germany
    Good guess. -)
    But you not right in my case. I am just saying having missions, etc gives any game more value or some sort of positive feedback (reward) to the player.

20. Funkyfresh Cecil

May 11, 2009
    @Carlos-Sz:

Glad you like it so far! I find that the computer is pretty competitive in a 2-player game. My favourite way to play single player is vs 5 or 6 computer opponents. That way you can concentrate on getting into a good endgame position while hopefully some enemies-of-your-enemies do the dirty work for you. (of course, if you're in the same room as a group of friends, the game is mega fun with multiple human players).

The reinforcements are random, just like in Dice Wars. It's important to take that into account when strategizing, so you're not limited to hoping for a single reinforcement "roll" to go your way.

@Xood:

I'm not sure if this is the type of game you're looking for. It doesn't have a mission structure -- it's essentially a strategy board-game. As DaveMc99 points out, it's like Risk or Chess. It's "lighter" than those games, but the fun comes from strategy rather than progression.

I can confidently say that it's not an unpolished game by a hobby developer, though. Our company makes games for a living... we do iPhone, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 games mostly.

Funky