iPad War Generation ($2.99 -> $.99)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by djflippy, May 25, 2009.

1. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #1 djflippy, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
    [app]War Generation[/app], by XenoStorm, $2.99

Welcome to the infinite challenge!

It's time to show your potential ability as the superb commander and show your country the glory.

War Generation is the turn based military strategy game for ipod(iphone).
    Variety missions, superpowers and units are waiting for you.

Produce your units, fight against the enemy's, and capture their buildings with your variety strategies to defeat them.

There is no one perfect unit and no one perfect strategy for every missions.
    Synastry of variety units and strategies is the only way to victory.

With about 70 kinds of unit and 40 missions, enjoy War Generation.
    Especially If you like classic turn based strategy games, you will be addicted.

FEATURES:
    - Turn based strategy game
    - Campaign mode with 10 missions
    - Freeplay mode with 30 missions
    - 40 maps with variety size
    - 4 superpowers and about 70 kinds of units
    - Changing map setting is available
    - 4 save slots.
    - Autosaved every turn.
    - Very simple interface to enjoy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Uniwar ripoff/clone?

3. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

thats what im thinking. It looks really similar

4. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    Yeah, looks like a shoddy Uniwar ripoff.
    Why spend so much time making a game that already exists? He coulda spent just as much time on a game thats original. I don't know...
    If anyone knows anything, they'll get Uniwar instead of this.

5. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Isn't UniWar in itself a ripoff/clone of other games?

6. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yup and no online mode in this game. Uniwar is currently only a dollar more than this, and online mode alone is worth that dollar, let alone the polish.

And plus, Uniwar has tendencies of going down to $.99 so just wait and you'll get a much better deal.

7. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Does Ware Generation and INFINITE CHALLENGE imply some sort of map generation/randomization?

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Actually it looks like Advance Wars done on hexagons

9. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128

10. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I don't this could even compare to Uniwar, but we shall see, I guess.

11. DonD_GT

DonD_GT Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    I think it looks good, but the timing of it's release isn't the best.

12. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I agree, probably wasn't a good time to release what with uniwar and all...

13. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    and the big Z :D

14. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Come on, don't say it's a rip off because it uses hex fields and is a strategy game. ALL of them look this way! Even the ones I played on DOS centuries ago.

Regarding the game: I lost interest after seeing that it has no online mode. In Uniwar I don't care for the campaign, I only play online. It's just great to spend a few minutes each day to move the troops around. It's the perfect pick up and play game!

15. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    I think calling this a Uniwar clone or ripoff is unfair, as Uniwar (as I feel with Zenonia) isn't exactly anything totally unique or ground-breaking. Uniwar is not the be-all, end-all turn-based strategy game.

That being said, to release a game reminiscent of Uniwar this soon after its release, and offering nothing substantially *more* than Uniwar offers (and, in fact, offering significantly less with less polished graphics, no online/multiplayer mode, and what appears to be a much shorter campaign) is rather silly on the developer's part.

Although for its price tag, I'm sure it'll get a few hits, and I'm sure some people will enjoy it. Then again, who knows, this could be a port of another game, as Slay was, and people jumped all over slay calling it a Uniwar ripoff despite it being around for years and years beforehand, and only sharing a gernal hexogonal look (which a vast number of games offer).

If we're going to go as far as saying looks alone are what make games clones, then Halo is a Wolfenstein 3D clone. Nazis aside. *cough*

I'll consider taking one for the team. Who knows, it could play really well. And who knows what updates may bring?

16. wonderva

wonderva Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    I think the dev should have released it for free to give uniwar some threat. Then raise the price with an update bringing online

17. jones8910

jones8910 Member

May 25, 2009
    I'm a sucker for these games and brough it. After one game here is what I think.

Pros. The AI doesn't take ages to think. I think for UniWars the wait for the AI is the most anoying thing.

Different types of bases. It's a nice strategic element.

Cons.
    Menu interfaces aren't intuative, you have to clip to go through maps not drag. It took me a bit to work that out, I just assemed only one map was available for the campaign.

Sounds are anoying and weird. I really don't need to hear the capture base sound and display when the enemy caputes a base.

There is no fog of war. This takes out a massive element of the game.

The tiles are just a bit too small, no zooming option makes you frequently touch the wrong square.

You have to watch your units move though every tile, which is slow.

There are 12 different types of squares all which give your unit different stats... oh that square is dark camo not normal camo.

Combat seems serious bugged. It doesn't take health into account until the end. So attacking a strong unit with 1 heath, you can deal it 5 damage and it will deal you 5 damage as well...

The options to go into the menu loses your game.

It doesn't save the game when you press the menu button!!!

I guess I'm a bit negative, but the game seems a bit too much a like a beta, definetly not worth the price atm.

18. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Isn't it fringing on some sort of copyright law that games are ripping off of each other? This is so obviously a Uniwar rip-off, in fact it's barely any different from Uniwar other than poorer quality. The developer of this game didn't even bother changing the hexagon tiles (at least make them squares or something to show it's different? Lol), and the units are almost exactly the same, just with different looks and facing sideways. How exactly does the Apple app rules work when it comes to copyright laws and the quality of apps anyways (specifically the apps that are so pointless and stupid)? -.-';;

19. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    There should be a law that bans people like you for not using their brain. Do you honestly think that Uniwar is the first game of it's kind? Come on...
    If devs were sued for replicating game genres, we'd have one game for every genre there is.

20. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

And there should be a rule banning people like you for not reading thoroughly before replying. Did I say copyright infringement on genre? I clearly stated that the content between the two games was much too similar to be considered a "different" game. If you take one game, keep everything exactly the same and simply change the title and some unit graphics, it's considered a "different game" and you can start selling it through a copyright freak like Apple?