WallStreet Journ Article on Digital Chocolate misusing "EA"

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Dark NRG, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    An article today about Seeking Fame in Apples Sea of Apps (1.5 billion downloads) mentions some of the "tricks" devs are using, including Digital Chocolate, near the end of the article. I know we here all pretty much are wise to most of these, but I didn't know about "Barnacle Marketing".

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124761263919341941.html

2. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    This is actually pretty common in web search. So what companies will do is spread competitor names or abbreviations throughout their web sites and over time, it will get picked up in natural search. The usage of the tactic on iTunes isn't unexpected and is probably more effective because it's a smaller scope. Of course, if you're too blatant on the web, search engines will block you out, and my guess is that Apple is not using anything too sophisticated for iTunes search.

3. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    Thanks for the schooling me, I'm learning a lot fast!
    I Didn't realize all the shananagan's. Amazing how the whole industry is evolving so fast, even new terminology that didn't exist a year ago, just due to the iPhone: Rail System; Tap Shooter; and I feel the next one will be "cockpit" for games utilizing the digital compass/magnometer with just up/down/90degree swivel instead of a cumbersome whole 360degree game usage, imho.
    Guess I'm gonna do my own right now and add a link to this thread to my harsh response to 8lbs Gorilla's dev's comment in another thread regarding needing more sales to quantify/justify doing an update with a leaderboard ;)

4. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    #4 Anders, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    There are all sorts of tricks.

In the beginning some companies, which I'm not going to name, added white spaces to their games, for instance "__ Our crap game". This was to get first in the alphabetical listings.

Another common thing is to name the crap games something that starts with an 'a': "A crap game". This was to get first in the alphabetical listings.

What used to be common, and still is I guess, is to name drop other companies games in the app description, like "If you like games such as Touchgrind, Peggle, DrawRace etc, you will love Our crap game!".

When you did a search for "Touchgrind", which isn't even an English word (we made it up), you would still find the following (and I'm not affraid to name drop a few examples): Ski Jump, Webtopia, Amazing X-Ray FX2, iPlummet, Food Additives, 3D Space Flight, 3D Rag Doll Physics, 101 Burps, Ultimate Hold'em Poker, Baby Babble, Symbolism, Crate Maze, Dog Annoy, Animated Crazy Smileys, Hi-Lo, KungFu FX, Colorblind, iCanSketchIt, Party Trampoline, Knights Run, Are we related? - DNA Analysis, iBling, Ride It Out Poker, Triple Card Poker, Beer Finder, Bilobi, iSnot, Phased Array Beamformer, Ex-Wife Toss, A crossword solver, Love Tap, Crazy 4 Card Poker.

Phew, and that was for Touchgrind alone. That was from my last search.

5. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    Wow, I see that so much, and had no idea!
    I thought this thread would be informative (and possibly removed for being maybe not relevant), but its something what I learned in just a couple hours from fellow members!! Thanks!!

6. dangerz

dangerz Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    It really frustrates me when I see apps in categories they shouldn't be in. I wish Apple would crack down on that.