GameClub Waking Mars (by Tiger Style) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2012]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Ugh, now the game won't even boot. It keeps crashing. So, I deleted the game and downloaded again. It worked. Then I restore my save data from iCloud and it starts crashing again.

Hopefully they release a fix or something. I want to see the other ending. :(

2. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    How well does this run on a 3g device?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

3. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I'm loving this more and more as I'm playing - about 3 hours in and 50% completion, and it is totally engrossing. The character portraits are growing on me now as well!

The only (minor) problem I have is that whenever I load up the game it increases the brightness setting of my device. Not a huge problem but it does mean my battery is draining faster than I'd like!

This game is such an atmospheric, rich and compelling experience - much, much better to play than it looks in videos / screenshots...

4. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

That definitely shouldn't happen! If you know how to get a crash log off your device, I'd really appreciate seeing yours.

Email me at david at tigerstylegames dot com and I'll follow up with you -- don't want anybody's game crashing! (especially after a long playthrough!)

5. David Tiger

If you're talking 3rd-generation iPod Touch (32MB or 64MB) it actually runs a bit
    better than it runs on the iPhone4 (due to the lower pixel resolution). Obviously you should get a confirmation on that from somebody other than the developer, but I think you'll be satisfied.

I haven't had any serious complaints about performance overall, so that's good too (as the primary engineer, my darkest fear is that it falls apart on some random device/OS combo, but we test the crap out of it to make sure it plays well everywhere it can!)

It doesn't run on iPhone 3G or earlier iPod Touches though!

6. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Teach me how and I'll gladly do it. :)

7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Wow. One question mark/exclamation mark would be more than enough :)

8. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    #148 Ghostz, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    Ok thanks i'll wait to pick this up, and usually one question mark/ exclmation mark doesn't seem to qualify as a question to most, as they gently push your question aside, and go along their merry way.

9. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Not expecting retina display, but would you say this still looks fairly nice on a 3g?

10. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Where is the power station?

11. David Tiger

On top of the Core, or below the vertical shaft. You can get there from Devil Islands, At The Gates, or Meadow.

12. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    One more question. Where are there more harvesters to activate?

13. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    I am playing this on my iPod touch 3rd gen 32 gb and it looks gorgeous! I am getting an iPad 2 soon (price will go down when iPad 3 releases) and I can see myself enjoying this game even better. Just to answer your previous question, it did not crash or anything on me yet except whenever I start the game, the brightness goes up. Get it now and suport a quality game like this one.
    To the devs, I expect more content/missions as a form of DLC in order to lengthen the replayability:)

14. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[size=+2]WAKING MARS[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    29/02/2012
    [/size]

Do you like to discover the lost caverns beneath Mars?

[size=+3][thread=124222]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -​

15. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Thanks! Im hoping for a 4S soon!

16. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    To my knowledge, just get every zone's bio level up to 5 stars. They all have harvesters pretty much.

I can't wait to see what happens when Mars awakens! Gardening is getting a bit of a pain in the butt 'cuz I have trouble herding creatures around with the controls (iPad) but it is still fun.

Oh, there was this situation: the blue/yellow spores. I had only one yellow spore plant in the entire ecosystem! It took me almost an hour to figure out I had to go get...certain seeds that kill blue ones...so that the yellow one would make babies. :-(

17. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Finished the game, final thoughts:

Firstly, I absolutely loved the game. The ecosystem based plot and mechanics work brilliantly. It was easy to get caught up in the feeling of actually exploring an alien ecosystem that was not particularly hostile. The story was well told, with enough mystery and absence to leave you pondering rather than scratching your head. I had no issue with the portraits. But I did have issues with the flight controls, which became a specific menace when trying to direct the floating seeds. And I didn't particularly enjoy the endgame which turned into a tedious gardening experience best left to Farmville and its ilk. The ending could have been slightly more verbose and grand, given the various scenes that the game throws at you on the journey. All in all, still my favorite iOS game of 2012 so far.

18. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    How silly of me not noticing that!! Thank for the help :D

19. sync99

sync99 New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    This is a fantastic game! I bought it on the strength of Spyder and the videos and it's well worth the purchase. Loving the vibe of exploration which comes through - I do feel like I'm discovering new life forms and learning how they interact, not just getting a new ability/enemy/etc each level. Very cool.

I'm avoiding reading this thread until I finish the game. But I've been playing this more than I've played any iPad game for many months.

Thanks, devs :)

20. Hudcrab

Hudcrab Member

Aug 6, 2010
    I've hit a major and probably otherwise unencoutered bug that has spoilt the game for me a bit. I can't really blame the devs, and there's a chance Iv just missed something...
    Basically:
    I was interacting with the sentient at the power station, I think I was just handing it the acidic spores, when my phone ran out of battery. When I loaded it up again I loaded at the entrance to the power station with the objective 'give the appropriate seed to the sentient' still active but the sentient is nowhere to be seen (it's supposed to be on top of the power station thingy with the cables coming out the bottom, right?). I went back to the incubation chamber and the sentient is there and it just triggered the objective of raising core power even more. Returned to the power station, the objective to give the seeds is still there and I can't for the life of me find the sentient.

Does anyone know of there's a bug or of I'm missing some clue?