GameClub Waking Mars (by Tiger Style) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2012]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well, for me Chinese astronaut has association with PRC rather than US. Was it an attempt to be different and interesting or politically correct? Of course it doesn't matter.

2. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    does this game really need to be played on ipad? i play more on iphone, but it just looks like it would be better on ipad. i know the devs say it would be impossible but i wish there was icloud save transfer. that feature has made my device swapping in ghost trick seamless. is there ant way itunes file transfer could be incorporated to allow manual transfer of saves between devices?

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Why PRC rather than US ? Believe it or not there are a lot of chinese people living in America ! Dread to think what you would say if the astronaut was black !

Again i just think its a non-issue, its a great game, these cut scenes (despite the photos) arent that bad.

4. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    If astronaut was black or Hispanic it would make much more sence but I agree, it's a non-issue.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Good God...I shudder to think what you would have said had I been in the game. >_> An Arab representing the United States? BLASPHEMY!

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Sorry to go on about this but why would it make more sense ? If it was a non-issue you wouldnt have brought it up in the first place. I dont personally care if the astronaut is chinese/russian/american or has ginger hair (shudder). Cant believe we're in the year 2012 and even discussing this. Lets criticise the photos of the characters as that doesnt mix well with the whole art style, but what race/colour the astronaut is surely doesnt matter at all

7. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I actually think it's just a case of popular media-conditioned response, and eugekava simply spoke without thinking. The Chinese are simply not normally portrayed as traditional American "heroes" in popular American fiction. I really don't think what he said was malicious, and maybe we should just give him a break?

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel

*runs away*

9. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks, Gabrien. Yes, it is not a typical hero in a popular fiction. That was my point. I also don't think it is such a horrible thing to discuss either. Sometimes political correctness is taken too far as well.
    I apologize to anyone who may have been offended by my comments. They definitely were not meant to be racist or malicious.

10. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The portraits mainly bother me because I look at this:

[​IMG]

And can't help seeing this:

[​IMG]

On track, though, I think the issue isn't so much that the style of portrait doesn't fit, but that the expressions frequently seem overly exaggerated, and don't always match the context of the conversation, lending an "early 90s FMV" feeling to the proceedings. More of a visible border around the pictures to reinforce the "communicator" nature of the dialogue would also help tie things down a bit.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Thank you for officially ruining it for me. :p Gilbert mother****ing Gottfried. :/

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I assume he's just Captain Hikaru Sulu on one of his later (?) missions.

[​IMG]

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #73 Exact-Psience, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

Edit: I spoke too soon. Read the rest of the thread. But i hope he didnt say it like "why is he chinese?" coz at first impression it really did sound condescending.

14. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Yes. It's Waking Mars and not Making Wars.

This one (the actor in the white shirt) is actually Austrian. Not American. At least he couldn't become president of the USA. I met him several times personally (since I am in the media biz).

Waking Mars: Played it for some time and it's recommended!

15. Noah Wayy

Noah Wayy Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Gonna check this one out. \Kinda reminds me when I spent the night on Mars.

Oops, wasn't meant to let that secret out.

Noah

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    [​IMG]

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL! I just copied that image to my collection!

18. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This is one of the best releases of the year so far. The idea of using the ecosystem to solve puzzles works extremely well and the presentation is top notch. Well worth the $4.99.

19. sakinnuso

sakinnuso Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    wow. i came to here just to give credit to the devs for the awesome portraits. a significant number of US engineers and scientists are asian so it was immediately refreshing to play this asian male that wasnt some stereotype! i love the portraits, and smile whenever Amani is on screen. She's gorgeous!

however, cracks about the PRC? Gilbert Godfried? sometimes message board comments are really unsettling.

loving this game so far!

20. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Wow. Are you like 3 or something? Why would anyone be offended at the fact that he looks like Gilbert Godfried. It's funny. Lighten up.