Wacky Cable Box - Any Help?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by HJJ, Jul 23, 2009.

1. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Hi folks,

Instead of looking at a more dedicated forum for this type of question, I thought I'd run it by you guys first. You never know who's lurking about here!

So basically I'm having trouble with my cable box (it's a DVR/cable box).

Two channels in particular are affected. One flashes gray, stutters and loses sound a lot. It's weird. When the sound goes out, if I change the channel and then come back, the sound will restore for X amount of time. The second channel is affected much worse. It constantly flashes to a solid gray screen for about 3 seconds. It's to the point right now that the regular screen is only on for a couple of seconds before it flashes gray. Sound is also intermittent. The changing the channel trick doesn't work as much on this second channel.

This has been going on for a couple of months. As it only affects two higher up cable channels, I haven't been bothered enough to do anything about it. But I do actually watch these channels (or try to!) so it's not something I want to completely ignore. I've rebooted the box a number of times. The cable box (which is a non-DVR, HD box) in the other room works fine.

I just called the cable company because I had some free time, and they want to send a technician to my house. Ugh. The offending TV is in my messy, disorganized bedroom, and I'd rather not have a stranger walking through it. In the end, it's not a big deal. I'll either clean up or bring the box in for an exchange. But since I'm not in a cleaning mood right now, and since I have about 5 full seasons worth of shows from the past year saved up (for a rainy day?), I thought I'd see if I could do my own troubleshooting first.

What's weird is that I had a similar problem with a different company a couple years ago, and they were able to reset and check the signal over the phone. Bah. I wonder what could be causing only 2 channels to be affected and how this could be determined by coming into my house. To be honest, I'm not sure what I could do, myself, even if I could pinpoint the problem, but you never know.

Any technician types out there today? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.