Universal VVVVVV - (by Terry Cavanagh)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 11, 2014.

1. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    I did it in just over an hour but I had a lot of practice from the PC version.

2. PengFictionJules

PengFictionJules Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Designer at GameResort
    Claremont, CA
    Good to hear! I guess I'd probably still put up with bad controls, love this game!

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah im a little stuck here right now. LOL

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I finished it in 2 hours 20, with all trinkets and just over 990 deaths. Gonna try no death mode. Fun times ahead?

First time playing, even though I previously got the soundtrack. What a great game.

5. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    I just completed in 2:36 all trinkets and 749 deaths! Pretty chuffed for a first play through. Can't do any better than 10:48 in super graviton tho!

This game is so damn good it's not even funny.

6. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Deal with it

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Well that didn't last long. Made it to two crew members saved and "I'm sorry" though, before I was silly enough to try and get that stupid trinket. Ah well!

8. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    5 stars. But I would love to see widescreen, sharper graphics and iCloud support.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Woohoo!

Attached Files:

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yay! Finished in 2'44" but only found 15 trinkets. :)

This game... I cant recommend it enough. A pimple grows on a random person each minute you spend thinking about getting the game. Buy VVVVVV now and help the world have a beautiful face!

11. Citronaut

Citronaut Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    I haven't read the rest of the thread, so I apologize if this has been asked already. The 3ds version of the game is currently on sale for $3.99 so prices are similar. Are there any differences in regards to available content? I'm definitely buying for either iOS or 3ds, I'm just trying to determine which one to go with.

12. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    I am :p I don't care especially about graphics when it comes to games, but for a game of such simple visual style I was expecting sharper lines/more detail.

13. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    After all this time, I really just don't get why this game has garnered so much attention. Yes, it is a tight retro platformer, but I am not seeing anything amazing under the surface. So much hype...

14. easy2013feb

easy2013feb Member

Jun 13, 2014
    search on google "zx spectrum" ;)

15. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    This game is such a great argument for gameplay over graphics. I suck at hard games and avoid them like the plague normally. This is compulsive playing though.

Anybody who likes this and metroidvania style should also try Astronot.

16. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    it's a pretty cool game, high difficulty and puzzle solving, wicked sweet old school music and a neat little story but that's about it.

The game doesn't run that fluidly on a 5S - seems to get choked up and a little glitchy, the non-widescreen support is disappointing and the blurry graphics are just plain nasty.

There is no polish on the port, frankly -- i know there are a lot of fanboys out there that are going to get their panties in a bunch over my comments -- but forget the game play a bit and actually look at the game.

17. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I've never played, read that PC version has level editor and sharing of user created content. Also that the 3ds version has no editor but comes with several user created levels.

Does this version include any extras? If not, $3.99 for the 3ds version with extra content, 2nd screen and physical controls may be the better version.

Thoughts from anyone that has 3ds and iOS version?

18. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #98 coolpepper43, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    You sure are correct. <readjusts panties>

To me it's game play first, graphics, and then sound. As long as the controls are solid and the gameplay is fun I'm happy. Of course some games should just have good graphics like AAA big studio titles. For indies I don't really care that much at all.

19. Between 3DS and iOS, I would expect both to be bereft a level editor but packing select user-created levels, as PC also sports.

Still getting bugged about "widescreen" being a sour point for folks on this particular game. It was designed with its proportions in mind, and to avoid stretching without overhauling the rooms would mean either putting some border art up (maybe stretched pixels from the rooms' edges?) or, gods, cropping the tops and bottoms off, like the "widescreen" cuts of Dragon Ball Z, where you get less content, but it fills the screen.

Anyway, I'd say what sets VVVVVV's gameplay apart is that it so thoroughly explores and applies its sole character mechanic. It puts "flipping" through more wringers than I would've come up with, and will put you to task in mastering them if you expect to get all the optional objectives of the game. Heck, one of the trinkets requires
    avoiding checkpoints
    ; how "developer thought of everything" is that?! Impecably designed game world for this platforming actn.

20. asaksola

asaksola Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Anyone else hit a bug where violet doesn't appear at the first teleporter? Just got the fourth crew member and wondered where the last one is, googled it and found out she should have been the first one to rescue... Time to begin a new game?