Universal VVVVVV - (by Terry Cavanagh)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 11, 2014.

1. staredcraft

staredcraft Member

Jan 19, 2012

I've had that too, what gives?

2. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    I'm not sure I understand the "Unlock Play Modes" section of the options. When you go there you can just click on the stuff to unlock it - is it supposed to be a cheat menu or something? I clicked one to test it out but I can't undo it and I can't tell if I just cheated myself out of unlocking something ingame.

3. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Level editor?
    I already have the 3DS version, which does not have it. :eek:

4. easy2013feb

easy2013feb Member

Jun 13, 2014
    i am new in this forum, i remember a spectrum game like that, it is inspired in these?
    Im not sure to buy it.

5. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    #65 darnoc703, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    If you like hard games.... Just buy it. Well, actually, let me rephrase that. If you like games..... Buy it.

I don't know anything about this "spectrum" you speak of

6. On my Touch, so don't wanna juggle quotes, but to answer a couple questions:
    -- For the flip mode achievement, you do not need to collect the trinkets that run; check the Steam version's achievements list for descriptions, if such aren't in Game Center.
    -- The Unlock Modes menu is just as it reads. Various modes "require" certain conditions to be available (Flip Mode from beating the game, No Death by high-ranking in the time trials, etc.), and all this menu does is make those available. I'd figure those are more for returning players who want to get back to where they were more than newcomers, since what's unlocked us typically better served by the experience gained in unlocking it.

Both "IIRC", off course.

7. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    The unlock game modes just unlocks different things- nothing to affect the actual game however. For example you can unlock time trials of the different levels or a no death mode.

A level editor would be amazing, or even the ability to make levels on the computer version and play them on the ipad.

8. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I just finished the game (without all discs) and I really feel a sense of accomplishment almost as though I just completed some superhuman task. I typically don't enjoy super-hard games but the magnificence of this one just kept me going. I also feel that I understand better how the developer was able to create something like Super Hexagon, the game that teaches you how to play it. This is by far one of the best experiences I have had on iOS. Now about those discs!

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    You want to buy it ! Lots of people are raving about it.

On Terry's Cavanaghs youtube site theres a lot of videos of Speccy games so theres a chance he was influenced slightly (Caves of Doom-ish ?).

Either way its a few quid, its a great game, buy buy buy

10. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    What psj said. Buy it, if you like hard gravity flipping games with twitch elements it's a complete must buy. BTW, is Terry active on TA, I don't think I saw any posts from him. You would think this forum would be his stomping grounds.

11. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    It's worth noting that the controls do use the full screen. It's not like a game without widescreen support where tapping one pixel to the left means your input doesn't register. It's only the graphics which don't fill the screen.

If anything, this makes it more playable as your hands obscure less gameplay.

12. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Possibly my proudest moment in life

Attached Files:

13. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I can relate to that.

14. epik5

epik5 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Game works on the ipod touch 5g but it gives a bit of frame drops

15. epik5

epik5 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    But i gotta say, the pc version is great which it runs with flash player. But looking at the ports, the 3DS and now ios it seemed much more amazing.

16. PC version's long since been converted to C++, back when it got the level editor. Browser version(s) still run on Flash, though.

And, what retr0spective (#80) said.

17. Bewi

Bewi Well-Known Member

Mine too. Getting the trinket at Veni Vidi Vici is a real self-accomplishment. I hate Terry Cavanagh for getting to it so easily on his video. This guy is a monster.

18. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Yikes, the graphics here were a bit of a letdown. Edges are blurry and doesn't take advantage of full screen real-estate (really only blurry edges are bugging me though).

19. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Finished. Took me 2 hours and 40 minutes and 1164 deaths.

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    OMG the Victoria bit is quite annoying. I am loving this game too much.