Universal VVVVVV - (by Terry Cavanagh)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 11, 2014.

1. epik5

epik5 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Cant wait to go round 2 in this game! I bought this on steam months ago!

2. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Are the user levels just a select few that people made? Or are they getting constantly updated as people make new ones on the pc version (which has a level editor i'm pretty sure).

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    For those who have never played VVVVVV before, your lives are about to change. We are in the presence of brilliance. I would say the closest thing as far as gaming experience right now is 774 Deaths. If you liked that, this is heaven.

4. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Does this version have the level editor? :eek:

The 3DS version does not, it just included a bunch of levels people made on the PC version.

5. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    I think this video gave me autism. I was screaming at you have the video

6. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Maybe I missed something, but I didn't think of VVVVVV as a very difficult game. It's nowhere near 774 Deaths.

7. DrSmiley

DrSmiley Active Member

Yeah, I'll second the comments above, this game was epic on the PC. Looking forward to trying it out on a touch device.

8. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I got 2200 deaths when aiming for 20/20 orbs. And I consider myself an expert at these games. If not then try the trophy room and challenges. You'll know why it's considered a difficult game :)

9. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Wow, this game is very special. Retro graphics and music, exploration, platforming, a suggestive story, an abstract but personable hero, impeccable design. This game is the complete package and has real heart. It may very well be my Game of the Year!

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Sold. 774 Deaths is one of my favorite games on the appstore ever.

11. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Dloading now, question is shall I try sleep and play tomorrow, or have a little look and end up not sleeping at all?

12. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    #32 Pipipitchu, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Have a little look. You won't beat it in only one go anyhow.

EDIT: It's already out on Google Play.

13. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I don't know how it's possible but I've just fallen in love with VVVVVV for the second time. I'm in danger of hyperboling the heck out of it if I try to give impressions as it's just so dear to me. Everything is nigh on perfect from the balanced difficulty, superb visuals to the soundtrack...oh man, that soundtrack! Souleye did an amazing job with it; it's one of the few game soundtracks I have in my itunes along with Persona and the Duck Tales Moon Theme - Passion for Exploring is possibly the best chiptune track I've ever heard.

It's one of the most essential games for iOS gamers, if not any kind of gamer. Just absolutely recommended from me!

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Just had a quick go on the game and it is friggin good. Controls really well, and hard as nails.

PLUS, there's a story, and it's all sci-fi!

15. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Is there iCloud support? Am I going to have to choose between playing on tre iPhone or iPad?

16. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

I really want to play this, just because of the word on the street, but I have a strong feeling it will be too hard for me :)

17. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Glad you liked it, otherwise I was going to owe you $3. :D

18. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I managed to finish this 100% on PC a long time ago (Veni Vidi Vici and all), but fell prey to the Flash saving mechanism from the original release, meaning that all my progress vanished. I'll probably play it again on Steam at some point if I manage to get through all the other stuff I have sitting waiting to gnaw on my free time.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I love the sense of exploration involved in this. As in metroidvanis exploroation.

The waypoint system is fantastically implemented that it makes the game reallt difficult, but not impossible. They allow you to have to work on your progress in short sections, much like how Polara did on the checkpoints.

Havent played this before, and i gotta say, i now know what i missed, and am now catching up. Cavanagh ftw.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Loving this. Glad you can also change the controls

Done the first two missions. Love the graphics! Not bothered by lack of widescreen. Game of the week for me