Universal Vulture Island (By Donut Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Remote_

Remote_ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 26, 2011
    UK
    I'm baffled by some of the comments here. It's obviously a puzzle game as well as a platformer rather than an incorrect build. The fun is working out what's happening and how the levels open up, surely?

It's quite different from TnG, clearly, but the overall theme of visiting areas that were inaccessible before you find items or trigger events is largely similar.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, I'm almost certain this is actually how it's meant to be and it's just a matter of "Here... You're separated and stranded on an island. Figure this shit out." rather than the more traditional gaming aspects of Traps N Gemstones.

3. se99jmk

se99jmk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    I've only played for 20 mins so far, but got bananas and a hammer (don't know what to do with either yet)

One immediate thing that helped was that the map is non-linear, tap to go to any point (though the map very much looks like a standard progression game) - that helped get me to the village based on an earlier sign

Looking forward to exploring more!

4. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    Like always with all Donut games.....SOLD!

5. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Apple TV

man I hope this comes to the TV too...

6. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Well I've no idea what I'm doing but I'm very much enjoying figuring out what I'm meant to do.

I like the whole work it out for yourself angle - admittedly it may get frustrating at times but thems the breaks

7. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    I've worked out what to do with the bananas! Or, at least, where to use them and what they do. I can't seem to solve the puzzle requiring bananas though. I understand a bit of it but not how to get where I want to get...

I have a feeling this game gets more rewarding the more time spent with it, but I'll definitely be diving into this and seeing where it ends up going.

8. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Instabought.

9. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Yeah I got to that point too! Left it for a bit and did some other stuff but I still can't work out exactly what your meant to do.

10. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I too am somewhat confused by this game, however, I suspect they may have decided to step out of their own box with this one and see what happens. I don't doubt that we will figure it out at some point.

11. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Alright. Time to pick this up and dive in. Still have TnG on my phone too!

12. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    At first I was disappointed as this wasn't what I was expecting. The more I play, the more I'm enjoying it. You'll go to a level, not be able to do anything, but then you'll get something in a different level that will make you say "now I get it". TnG wasn't a linear platformer either and this has some of those same qualities. Will have to explore and then do some backtracking. Huge sense of satisfaction when you finally figure it out via lots of trial and error (for me at least)....like getting past the monkey.

I wish the control buttons were a little bigger, but it's not impacting the enjoyment at all.

Looking forward to continuing on and seeing what's next.

Awesome job Donut guys.

13. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I also don't get the confusion at all. It's a really funky puzzle platformer, with a cute retro style. Kind of got a Wonder Boy meets Land of Illusion feel. Still very early into it, but I'm enjoying it a lot.

14. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Amazing game!!!! Thanks donut games :)

15. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I'm encouraged to hear that folks have made some progress. I've found the bananas but still haven't found any monkeys for them as per the clue in level 1. I've been able to have a little progress with the gal on the other side of the bridge and even came across what I think is a secret passageway. I came across the key but couldn't find a way to demolish the wall of rocks blocking it and literally got stuck on that level with no way out.

While the gameplay is similar to its predecessor TnG in terms of acquiring skills and clues to be used in other levels, there was a more immediate sense of accomplishment and progress as the game unfolded. With this game, at least with my experience thus far, this experience isn't as forthcoming...the dots don't connect as readily. This could be intentional and I'll keep plugging away and reach out if I really get stuck; but, as I said earlier, hearing other forum members making some progress is a little encouraging. However, I hope the devs chime in real soon to engage in our discussion.

16. se99jmk

Mar 1, 2010
    Bananas - there's a huge gorilla that will go to the spot you throw the banana - by moving him, he'll lower a platform that allows you to get further

You can demolish rocks with the bug spray (WEIRD I know, but it worked..)

Qs:
    - What do I do with the shell?
    - not sure where to use totem head, rum or flute..

17. se99jmk

Mar 1, 2010
    When you move the monkey left to a higher level, a platform will lower. You may need to do that more than once (was not obvious there's a pressure sensor to move gorilla to!)

18. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

try this:
    there's a gorilla in a jungle level, so you must throw bananas to the right until it reach a high wall and help you to pass beyond it (leave you guess how)

19. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks se99jmk!

20. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    This game is amazing.
    Took me a minute to figure out I have to travel through many stages to figure one out completely.
    I really like that when you die you don't start over and you keep your inventory.
    This developer put sommuch effort into the game and it shows .