Universal Voyageur (by Bruno Ribeiro Dias)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 7, 2017.

1. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #21 JasonLL, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    That is a good review. I have not yet been stranded yet but I've had that happen on other resource management games when I wasn't careful...and yes it sucks when that happens. A compromise I would have is that your ship takes damage if you are out of supplies when jumping from planet to planet. So you will have a limited amount of moves to recover (buy/sell) if you've mismanaged your supplies.

The repetition critique is valid, you will see certain things over and over and you will get a sense of deja vu and you will get a sense of deja vu after a bit of play. For me though, like Reigns, the game moves at quite a pace which offsets a bit of the "seen this done that" vibe.

2. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Is this similar to Out There?

More fun? Less? Totally different?

3. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #23 JasonLL, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    I feel this game is way more forgiving so far than Out There. Out There is more visually striking but I like the aesthetics of Voyageur also. I certainly don't think this will replace Out There but it can most definitely compliment the game. Both games are about managing your resources and taking chances. I enjoy both but if a person had neither game I would recommend Out There first.

If you like Out There than there's a good chance you may enjoy this. If your on the fence though I would wait for more opinions and a update since some forum members are having issues but my game has been working fine...so far.

My only technical issue is some main menu wonkiness. Sometimes I will go into settings then the game takes me right back to the main menu and then I have to press settings again for it to stay on that screen.

4. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Just got a game update that says "numerous fixes, improvements, and some content additions including one more ending." That was quick! :D

5. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I would hold off on Sorcery! Until you have the funds to buy the bundle containing parts 1 through 4.

6. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Downloaded the update, and I'm still having the same problem.

...only now when I hard reset the app and restart it I can redo the option to let the scientists on the first planet I'm on examine my ship and pay me $200 again and repeat this after each hard reset and the money remains while that and everything else I did aside from adding a crew cabin to my ship is reset.

Basically it's an infinite money trick, which would be cool if I could escape the first planet. LOL!!

7. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Hopefully the developer will be reading this forum so he can log those issues and fix them. The first update did come out quick so I want to be optimistic and say more updates will follow and fix these issues for you. You might also be able to get a refund and down the road if the updates are somewhat current, repurchase, and see if it works for you. Things like this though is why I would like an obligatory 30 minute trial for all premium games in the App Store.

8. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Picked it up.
    Fit and finish is nice. I appreciate the large text option when playing on the phone.

Played about an hour. Still fun but feels kinda repetitive already. So far I've seen the same handful of items to buy, same pirate attacks and same options on planets to explore.

I had an option to end the game which I didn't take. It said if I ended the game it would open up some new paths next time so I'm curious about that.

Haven't played enough to rate it.
    It has a lot of potential but from what I'm seeing it appears to need more story, variety of events / choices.
    Will play more.

9. srvpul

srvpul Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Looking nice!!!

Will definitely play.... :)

10. Duranki

Duranki Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Does this require an internet connection?

11. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Just turned my wifi off to try it and the game seems to work. No internet connection required.

12. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land

Looking at this video, is there only 9 or 10 planets you visit and that's it for a run?

13. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    From what I have seen a run is over when you gather ten "sights of the galaxy" and then be fortunate enough to find a scholar on a planet and choosing tenure which will effectively retire your captain for a new run. There is also another route where if you can amass enough credits you can retire in the city on a densely populated planet. There may be more options out there but those are the two I encountered. Not all planets will give you an option to retire. Sometimes you may have to travel around a bit.

You will almost certainly visit more than ten planets during a run since not all planets will have interesting options. Only a few planets will add to your galactic experience.

14. CrayonWarrior

Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land

Thanks for the detailed reply! I can't for the life of me find it, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there are more endings. I'm leaning heavily towards buying this, as I enjoyed out there, even though this experience may be shorter.

15. meponder

meponder Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 23, 2013
    Finished first run through **spoilers/bugs**

Ok. I've finished the main game and hit one ending. About to start again. I did hit one bug that was player-friendly but goes against the game balance.

Once you've got the smuggler's cargo upgrade for your ship you can start getting items to, well, smuggle. If you have the option to choose "dangerous" (gun-running), you can immediately have the option to sell the guns at full retail price without having to move planets. You can buy/sell/buy/sell indefinitely, as long as the gun option continues to show up. If you choose beasts, drugs, whatever, you have to leave and go to the next planet or two before you can sell them. But guns....they're a cash farm as long as you keep getting the option.

Otherwise, it's a fun game. In addition to Elite, I'd have to compare it to the classic PalmPilot game SpaceTrader (which itself was an Elite homage.) There's more nuances to the research and artifacts than I've seen commented on here. I think I finished with a Star Legacy of 5 (whatever it's called when you sell out to the academics and take a tenured position.) My best advice, as long as you can afford it, is to always explore the fungi. Buy at least 10 expedition supplies; though you'll find more as you explore. It takes anywhere from 5-14 to reach the end of each expedition and the rewards usually more than make up the money. Good game, and I praise the developers for making it portrait if desired!

16. CrayonWarrior

Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land

I've always only bought 5 supplies for the expedition, never realised the expeditions have an end! Would like an illusion of your ship travelling through the Galaxy, rather than back and forwards but it's only superficial. I've taken the tenured position and restarted with 6k and 100 supplies. Settling on a world isn't to hard either. Trading is fun, but can be a pain with pirates.

17. meponder

meponder Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 23, 2013
    I didn't realize it at first either. I got to a point where I had 5-6k and decided to stock up. Once I started I decided to just keep going, since I was getting extra supplies almost every turn. It's worth sticking with most of the time, and necessary to hit the endgame.

And yeah. The pirates suck, since there's really not much you can do to change the outcome beyond praying to the RNG gods. It would be nice to at least have a "bribe" option before jettisoning your cargo.

I think I ended the game with around 27k galactic dollars. If you want to settle down and live somewhere it costs 50k, so I've never explored that option. That's what replays are for, I guess. I'll find out this weekend... I hope.

18. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Hmm. Looks like my hours-long mission evaporated into space. I opened the game this morning and it asked me to start from scratch. I force-quit the app after a few minutes, and NOW it's happy for me to continue. I had a decent crew and thousands in the bank. Bah.