Universal Void Tyrant (by Armor Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 27, 2019.

1. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Scratch that question. You were talking about not being good at playing the game. Dumb me.

2. MulDeR

MulDeR Well-Known Member

May 22, 2017
    How is the battery consumption? that's my first concern when I download a new game.

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

There are multiple heroes, multiple missions to complete and different ways at approaching the game. I was the one who got to the last boss, and lost, but looking at the leaderboards I’m positive there’s more to it once you’re done. And the gameplay hook is just so so good.

See i disagree here. I have been playing StS since it launched on the switch and I feel like this shares so much of that. Sure the blackjack hook is very different, but the risk/reward with exploring rooms, the cards themselves - so much reminds me of Spire in the best of ways.

But that is just my opinion, I think regardless of that if you like the roguelike genre this has so much to keep you coming back it’s insane.

surprisingly, not bad! I played for a few hours last night and lost maybe 20ish percent of my battery? And I’m on the iOS 13 beta, so I was expecting a LOT worse. There is a battery saver mode in the settings, but compared to a lot of other gamea this is surprisingly kind.

Collin, L.Lawliet and ste86uk like this.
  4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Still enjoying this but the ads are starting to get irritating but I’m thinking still that I’d be happy to pay instead.

Just off topic but anyone else’s store not updated yet? Mine usually updates the name games by now.

5. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Really enjoying this so far, looking forward to playing more.

6. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

It’s honestly well worth it but I caution everyone who has even a slight addictive bone in their body, this game will CONSUME you. It’s insanely easy to blow an hour without even batting an eye!

As for the battery consumption, I played for about 30 minutes on my XS max on the iOS 13 beta and I went down about 4 percent. Very reasonable especially as I have battery saver off.

Have I said this is my goty so far because holy smokes. So good. So worth the premium. Slay the spire can take its damn time.... okay who am I kidding I still want it but this game is the closest to scratching that itch that I’ve found. It’s so flippin polished.

Collin, anthony78 and ste86uk like this.
  7. allsopj84

allsopj84 Active Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Male
    Does this game have cloud saving across devices?

8. Bladejay

Bladejay Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Absolutely loving this game. Shelled out the $5 almost right away. Just a great vibe and feel to this game.

9. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I'm not a big rogue or card game player but I agree with andsoitgoes, this game is damn addictive.
    I like the unique take on the genre. The game has nice depth but not overwhelming, feels the perfect balance for me.

Gregor, the enemy I assume is the boss on the first planet keeps obliterating me. Unlocked missions so time to power up.

Few questions..

Consumable cards.
    Are they consumable just for that battle and you get them back for next battle or are they gone permanently after use?

Deck building.
    Do you at some point get a chance to modify your deck.. take cards out, add, etc or is the only permanent progression the store/equipment unlocks?

andsoitgoes likes this.
  10. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Completely agree!!

11. dukat111

Mar 23, 2010
    I too would like cloud sync so I can go between phone and iPad.
    Cloud sync really should be a requirement for mobile games.

12. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Yup, started on my iPhone, then went to my mini

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm glad people are enjoying it like I am. I also find $5 VERY reasonable to unlock everything. I was expecting It to cost more. The 3 spirits do help a lot so it's worth the price.

I do admit, the game feels rigged in some aspects but not so much that I rage quit. I do get enemies (mostly bosses) that will hit 11 or 12 multiple turns in a row. And often I'll get a 10 and the enemy ties me and draws a 1 card to just narrowly beat me. Happens often but the game has so much stuff in it that I'm not too upset. I have bad memory so I can't use deck memorization to my advantage unfortunately.

Aside from the gameplay, I have to mention the production values are extremely high. That's actually what captured my attention first. Art and interface are just gorgeous. Only thing I wish for aside from cloud saving is a way to move the deck draw to the center or right (for right handed people). This is a great game to play one handed but it's hard on my thumb to keep reaching over to tap the deck so I end up not really being able to play one handed like I'd like to. Not a major complaint but something I wish for.

14. dukat111

Mar 23, 2010
    I agree with all your points.
    Cloud sync + right handed draw would be useful as it's the main reason I can't play it with 1 hand, at least not on the large phone.

I also do great except for bosses who obliterate me every time. I hope it's just bad luck and not rigged to get the bosses 11's and 12's constantly. I finally saved up for all the starting gear, hopefully that armor piece makes a difference.

Still haven't found a way to customize my own deck / remove cards, perhaps not possible.

Hope they add more content in the future.

L.Lawliet likes this.
  15. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I believe the only way to remove cards is to run into some event on the road and it will let you remove a card or duplicate a card (I think). I usually find all the cards very useful so I never wanted to remove any but I can see why some would prefer a smaller deck for more consistent draws.

Yes new content would be great! More worlds / cards and such. However the game is already pretty difficult for me even with the paid upgrades. Going to have to buy out the shop to have any chance..

16. dukat111

Mar 23, 2010
    The game appears to have Cloud Sync. No options or settings anywhere but when I installed it on the iPad all my progress including current quests were there. The only thing it doesn't do is let you continue an existing run on another device.

17. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Paid for the full unlock only to find the game requires a further IAP to purchase the Warp Rift.

Think that’s a bit greedy. The game tells you the 4.99 is the full unlock.

Hope the devs remove this and make the warp part of what we’ve paid for.

18. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    If you look closely, you would find that you can purchase it by game currency(10000) as well.

andsoitgoes and Son of Anarchy like this.
  19. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Game of the year till now for me. So addicting so easy to learn yet it has the proper amount of strategy involved. Not too easy not impossible to beat amd of course luck is involved in the whole gameplay. Extraordinary.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  20. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    That part of the tutorial could have been handled better. I did a similar thing because I wanted to see what it said about the gloves, and I want to say that it locked me into buying them. If your money went away, you should have the gloves. If you go in the store and the gloves aren't available to buy, then you have them. It should also show you the armor that you have when you start a new run.

Yeah. It must not be an insurmountable problem, looking at the leaderboard, but I've experienced the same thing. It gets better as you earn enough gold to unlock the pieces of starting armor and (presumably) other character perks, so you don't get walloped as easily. That said, I still haven't made it to the third tier of planets. But I have at least made it to the 2nd tier bosses. Just not any further. I've also only gone on 6 runs so far, and have only upgraded the shop.

---

Now for an update on my impressions. After playing 6 runs and defeating 42 monsters, I wouldn't say that I'm regretting spending $5 for the premium unlock. For the amount of time I've spent playing, and the amount of fun I've had, that's good value for the money IMO. I've spent more on games I've enjoyed less.

However.

There are times, especially in the boss fights, that it feels like the game is cheating. I know, that's often the case when you are playing against a computer that "knows" what all of the cards are and things aren't going in your favor. But the first monster I fought on the 2nd tier of planets, a crystal insect, got 12s three times in a row. That kind of thing, combined with the number of effect cards they throw down can be mighty discouraging.

I've also experienced one OP status effect that seriously needs to be done away with. Blindness for 3 rounds. You can't see any cards being played by you or your opponent. That feels like a cheap death. I didn't have a great strategy when dealing with it, and have an idea on how to attempt it when it happens again.

Looking at the leaderboards, I can see that I'm not that good at it yet, but I enjoy it until things go sideways. I'm not giving up though, and still recommend getting the premium unlock.

---

Has anyone seen if the dev is willing to join the discussion here?