iPad Void lite

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by gunslinger, Jan 20, 2009.

1. gunslinger

gunslinger Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
  2. DukeofAnkh

DukeofAnkh Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Melbourne
    I got this. Took me a few tries to work out what I was supposed to be doing, but it seems promising. Up to level 3 now.

3. AndrewENZ

AndrewENZ Active Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Graphic Design
    Wellington, New Zealand
    slightly off topic, but man, star control would kick arse on the iPhone if it was done well!

4. gunslinger

gunslinger Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    2AndrewENZ: yeap! I'm crossing fingers for it too :)

5. Last Gatsby

Last Gatsby Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
  6. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Any more impressions on this? Don't have the space on my phone to try the lite version right now :(

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's actually quite good; it's sort of a cross between Escape Velocity and Awesome (old Amiga game). A little more complicated than the typical iPhone game...I think the best thing is to dive in, play for a little while, and then go back and read the instructions.

--Eric

8. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Right on. Deleted some old apps and made some space for it. Looking forward to trying it. Once I do I'll post impressions.

9. Seien

Seien Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Just downloaded the "light" version (a whopping 50+ mb) and so far its pretty enjoyable. The inventory/upgrade system seems pretty cool. I've only played through a handful of missions, but once i play a little bit more i'll give more details. Looks like, if nothing else, an entertaining game to play in class tonight :D

10. Squeegy

Squeegy Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Thank you guys for playing! We will have a bug fix release out soon to address the issues people are having.

If anyone has any suggestions, please, feel free to post them here.

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I've been playing the game on and off for the past week. For a "lite" version, this one is pretty full featured. Thanks. Nice to get a good feel for the game.

I dig the control scheme, btw. This is a slower paced game than, say, Blue Attack!, but the control scheme used here fits the gameplay quite well.

One thing I do wish for the game was for the star map to be continuous. Right now it's in separate zones. I don't know if it is feasible for this game right now, but maybe in a future game you could perhaps remove the idea of "stages" and instead have one large game field to journey. Someone mentioned Star Control II, and that's more along the lines of what I'm thinking. If you've ever played Star Control II, or the Dreamcast game Armada, I think the engine you're using for Void can be used for such a game. Just something to keep in mind for a possible follow up to this game.

12. Squeegy

Squeegy Member

Feb 2, 2009
    The control scheme is something we really wanted to have that intertial spacy feel. We will actually be adding something to it that should increase your combat options a little in the full game.

The continuous map is a decent idea. I do plan on a follow up game or 2 to this if it sells well, and I have some far more ambitious goals for it in mind.

Thanks!

13. stanny

stanny Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    What are you targetting for release?

14. Squeegy

Squeegy Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Not sure what you mean. You mean how much game over the lite version?

First of all the galaxy map is full, edge to edge, of stages:
    [​IMG]

* There are 4 races (lite version includes just a little of 2 of them)
    * 8 pilotable ships per race. Lite version has 2.5 ships per race.
    * Out of 5 tiers of weapons and equipment, the lite version has up to tier 3 and those are very very rare in the stages that are there. We have a ton of both, and each race has its own style of weaponry that you will find as you battle in different parts of the galaxy.

Hopefully all due in late Febrarury, but more realistically, when its done...

Plus we have some great ideas for some cool post-release updates that I wont go into just yet.

15. stanny

stanny Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    My apologies, what I meant was "when".

16. Jaytee

Jaytee Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    This might not be what you're trying to do with this, but it'd be cool to have a more deeply implemented commerce system- to the point that you can finish missions via trade or violence.

Really, all I really want is an ev: override clone.

17. Squeegy

Squeegy Member

Feb 2, 2009
    I want that too, but creating a universe that deep is a lot of work. For my first release, I settled on creating a simplified version that I like to call EV: Diablo.

18. Erik32

Erik32 Member

Feb 9, 2009
    #18 Erik32, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
    Squeegy: Very fun game and impressive UI. I look forward to paying for the full version!

This question may be better suited for the developer forum but we have your attention here :) Without giving away the goods, would you mind telling us (or sending me a pm) what tools/engine you developed this on?

19. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Squeegy:

I've run into a bit of a bug in the game.

I forget which stage it's on, but it might be in one of the first "red" areas (or a stage close to those areas).

There's a target needed to be destroyed that floats outside of the game field. Anytime I try to destroy it the bullets bounce off the "invisible wall" around the playing field. Since I can't destroy it, I can't finish the stage and thus can't exit and move on to another stage. I've had to turn the game off, and then go back in and avoid that stage altogether. Don't know if you're aware of this issue (although I did mention it in the app page review I put up) but hopefully it doesn't manage to slip into the final full game.

20. Squeegy

Squeegy Member

Feb 2, 2009
    @Erik32: I wrote my own engine, all from the GLSprite example project I think. It's not as hard as it sounds. The gameplay areas are pure OpenGL, and the hyperspace screen are all UIKit stuff. Used Photoshop and Cheetah3D for art asset generation, and I have no idea what my sound guy used.

@spiffyone: Yeah, I know. I can't believe I missed that before release. Bug fix release as soon as Apple approves it. Also, if you equip a beam weapon you should be able to hit it since it wont bounce off the boundary.