Vista registration help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Wegmans, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Does anyone have an opinion on this unique situation?

I have a MBP late 08 edition... It's perfect except when i want to play a quality game :(

As a result, i've installed Vista Ultimate on it and use boot camp to switch over and play Far Cry 2, which can pretty much be maxed out because of the sweet graphics card!

I've been using it for a few months, and i tried to play last night and now Vista is asking me to register my copy of Windows, otherwise i have a severely locked down version that only lets me use like safe mode or whatever.

This shouldn't be a problem, because back in the day i bought Vista Ultimate! When I put in the code into windows, it says i have the mother fvcking upgrade edition, not the full one! WTF?

Ok still, no problem, because my old computer had Vista Premium, so i put in that serial and it says that I have to put the Vista CD in and uninstall Windows so i can put Premium on it... sounds redundant, right?

Ok so i said to myself, screw microsoft, screw vista, i'll just stick with OSX. Well, i'm stuck in a constant loop where it takes me into Vista, not OSX, unless i hold down the option key...

1) how do i get it to not boot into Vista by default?
    2) any suggestions for how to deal with the serial sh1t?
    a) i think i might call india (microsoft) and be like you have to be kidding me, you owe me big time, give me a serial to get into Windows!

Any help out there? Thanks in advance for your constructive comments! :p

2. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    No clue, I've been using CrossOver (free) to use a few Windows apps and it works great.

3. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    #3 Wegmans, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
    Thanks for the response! Have you been able to run games through CrossOver? Also it says its $40... Is this an honor system?

4. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Crossover works for some games. I think in System Preferences or the boot camp program it let's you choose which OS to default boot into.

5. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Thanks for everyone's help... I think at this point i'm just going to reinstall Vista and try to use my old Premium code... just a pain to reformat ha

6. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Good news everyone,
    I reinstalled Vista, and set it to Home Premium, reinstalled boot camp on it and now i have a geniune copy of Vista! No more registration woes! Thanks again for the help

Now back to Far Cry2

7. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Hi Wegman,
    I don't have an intel-based mac to dual boot, but from what I read ages ago, I think that in Windows there's a new entry in the Control Panel to determine which OS is default when booting up. Alternatively, follow Sambo110's suggestion to go into OSX's System Preferences to decide there.
    But anyway, glad you got the problem of the serial key resolved.