iPad Virus Strike: a combination of Tetris, Bejeweled & Flight Control!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by neilf79, Oct 24, 2010.

1. neilf79

neilf79 Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Hi all.

I just released Virus Strike in the App Store today:
    http://itunes.apple.com/lv/app/virus-strike/id396966520?mt=8.

Completely FREE for a limited time only, it is a fast-paced action
    puzzle game that combines elements of Tetris with Bejeweled and Flight
    Control.

Virus Strike unites classic puzzle and physics-based problem solving
    with intuitive iPhone gaming features like touchscreen line-drawing
    and tilting.

One of the game’s best features is the realistic way the viruses and
    antibodies obey the laws of physics – to you, the lines are mere
    drawings, but to them, the lines are physical barriers. For example:

* If the line you draw is a slope, the viruses will roll down it.
    * Tilt the screen and the viruses will roll down those slopes faster.
    * Alternatively, draw a circle around the viruses and they will be trapped!

Find out more here: http://www.virusstrike.com

Video: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=489663171349

Screenshot:

[​IMG]

I'd really appreciate feedback on the game, so please try it out and
    let me know.

Enjoy!

Neil.

2. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The concept sounds great, I'll snag it and leave some impressions.

3. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Just been playing this and I think it's a good little game I'm not gonna go into how it plays as it's free but I will say it's well worth a download.

To the developer are there any type of online leaderboards planned

4. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

Wowza!

What at first I thought would be overly gimmicky or simplistic game play is pretty gosh darned fun!

It appears you can only have one line on the screen at a time (simply tap anywhere on the screen to clear it or draw a new line somewhere else). You need to use the one line and the tilting of your device to group the various viruses together. The ocassionally dropping antiviruses are both your friends and worse nightmare! They're your friends as they're the key to busting connected groups of same colored viruses, but if by some slip up they manage to hit another color they'll instantly produce MORE of that mismatched virus (as far as I can tell the number of new viruses made by this mismatch is based on the size of the group it hits meaning if it hits a single piece on its one, one new virus is made but if it hits a really large cluster....you don't want to know). To make matters worse, when a virus and wrong antivirus hit it is like an explosion and can easily scramble some carefully sorted groups you have already setup.

The game ending condition is kind of unique in this game as well. While essentially using the age old, big trouble once the pile goes past the line up top, in this game once you pass that line the game doesn't end but you are in a sudden death mode until you manage to bring the pile back below the line. While in this sudden death mode they call "Alert", one further virus/antivirus mismatch will end the game.

5/5!

5. neilf79

neilf79 Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Re: comments

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

@Howlingwolf: Yes, online leaderboards are already in development, and should be in an update soon. I'll keep you posted.

@LordGek: Thanks for the great feedback. Yes, the number of viruses created by hitting the wrong-colored group with an antibody is equal to the size of the group, up to a limit (it would get silly after a while!).

We don't seem to have any ratings in the app store yet (you could take this as a subtle hint, if you wanted!). Perhaps they take a while to come through -- does anyone know?

Regards.

Neil.

6. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Just got the game and will post feedback later since it looks interesting. My question though, is are you planning on updates. Also for the price you should have started at .99 and them reduce it to free later.

7. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    They do as this was also my iTunes review by "Lord Gek".

8. neilf79

neilf79 Member

Oct 24, 2010
    @Osujxu: Yes, we're definitely planning updates. In the next month or so we hope to add Game Center integration, and some more bits and pieces. After that, who knows? We'd like to add more "stuff" to the game, and we have a few ideas for this, but nothing has been developed yet.

I'm interested as to why your advice is to start at $.99 and then make the app free? Our aim was to build up lots of interest in the app while it's free, then start charging when it's popular. However, this is our first app, so advice is much appreciated.

Neil.

9. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Ok so for the core gameplay, the game is top notch. It has some really inventive and fresh ideas. However the game also can be greatly improved:
    1. Add at least 3 more colors to twist the gameplay up a bit. If you incorporate this, then you are going to have to make the viruses smaller for more space.
    2. Gamecenter leaderboards and achievments.
    3. Be able to play this game in landscape mode.
    4. Add some new modes for more variety.

Overall, solid game to begin with and alot of potential to be improved with updates.

10. Howlingwolf

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    I think the idea of starting as free is the right one as long as the ppl who play leave the reviews on the app store , which i will be doing as soon as i get to my pc . By the same token though dont leave it free for too long .

11. neilf79

neilf79 Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Osujxu: Thanks for the feedback -- it's really appreciated.

We're working on Game Center integration right now, so this should be in an update soon.

As for more colors and more modes, I'd love to do this. My plan is to get the Game Center integration out of the way, and then focus on adding more variety to the game. I'll keep you posted!

Regards.

Neil.

12. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Thanks just left my review on iTunes. Gamecenter and colors should be your priority. As for price I don't think you are going to make as much money if its free at first, because when you eventually go back to paid, everyone will be complaining about not getting it for free. My strategy would have been to get a couple sales at launch, then make it free on faad or something so that peoe will want to get it since they think they are getting it for less money then it was originally. This creates more publicity IMO.

13. Howlingwolf

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Just left my review in the Uk appstore loads of 5 star reviews on there already:)

14. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    FAAD costs thousands of dollars for a developer, and that is only if they accept your submission - fyi

personally I believe there's a lot of good reasons to release it for free initially, if no lite is available. there's a lot to be said for potential of word-of-mouth, and it's particularly hard to sell puzzle games these days..

15. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    I'm not saying he even has to use faad, just make it free after paid. Nit a big deal though well see how it goes

16. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Arrrghhh, germs!

17. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the freebie! Interesting game. Isn't there any sound or is it just me being not able to hear anything?! Is there any possibility to view the video without the need of going to a fb site?

18. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    there's no sound hopefully being added in an update

19. arnoldc

arnoldc Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    No kidding. A game without sound is only a half-baked product. Forget game center or whatever you have in mind, get the sound in first. I can't imagine how ppl can rate 5 stars on a game without sound.

20. neilf79

neilf79 Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Hi all.

Just saw the latest comments on this thread. I'm beginning to regret not adding sounds in the first version. I was trying to keep things simple, and focus on the gameplay, but I guess I underestimated how much people like to have sound effects (there's a lesson here about designing games for other people, not for yourself!)

Anyway, sound effects will be in an update very soon (hopefully at the end of next week). I'll keep you posted!

@Habakuk: Here's a link to the YouTube version of the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogLXZN8GznM (though you don't need to be a member of Facebook or anything to view the FB version).

Neil.