iPad virtual villagers 2?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by rhcpdrummer, Mar 4, 2009.

1. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    jus came out, any good?

2. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
  3. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008

Attached Files:

4. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Huh? Didn't do much research, did you? LDW Software actually created the Virtual Villager series for the PC, which was actually a spin off of their Village Sim game for the Palm. So really, you could say that Big Fish Games copied off of them (except that Big Fish published the PC versions of the game).

5. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    hmmm.. I like the previous style better, looks more polished.

6. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Great! I am interested in knowing if this is like the original or a softened version, like the previous iPhone release.

7. SuperPaperSam

SuperPaperSam Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    looks good

looks good but im going to wait for a sale

8. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    It's on sale for $1.99 but the reviews say it's not very good. :S

9. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I agree. Graphically this new one looks like a throwback to their Village Sim game. I wasn't real big on the graphics for that game either.

10. sushibox

sushibox Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Chief Design Lead (corporate): Web/Interactive/Pri
    Nashville, TN
    #10 sushibox, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
    I for one really enjoyed the first Virtual Villagers. I noticed this just now too and checked it out on iTunes, and am equally interested to see what it plays like compared to the first incarnation. I don't know so much about the character designs, I miss the big-headed villagers of the original. With that being said, I checked out the official Last Day of Work forums to find out why there were so many differences between the two, and found something quite interesting. The people at LDW seem to own the Virtual Villagers name, and simply worked with Vivendi to develop a mobile version of their original Virtual Villagers game for the iPhone. However Vivendi took an entirely different art direction than the original LDW game, so it would seem LDW may be the ones finishing out their own IP from here on out (however that's pure speculation). One of the LDW devs on their forums had this to say about the original Virtual Villagers:

As it would seem, the Vivendi mobile version of Virtual Villagers is absolutely it's own game, and while there are some similarities to this one, they are simply sharing the same intellectual property. This newest incarnation, Virtual Villagers 2: The Lost Children is the direct work of LDW, which you can take a look at their design style and examples of their games over at:

http://www.ldw.com/index.html

Here's a video of the PC/Mac version of VV2, so I suspect this iPhone incarnation will operate something like this:

Again, while I'm interested in the game, I don't really know if I'm up for this stark of a difference from the first version. While most of the people on the LDW forum seem to "prefer LDW style over Vivendi mobile" I for one like the big-headed villagers of the first Vivendi game. I'm sure I'll TOFTT it and review it after I've had it in my hands for a little while, maybe my impressions of the game won't be contingent on the Vivendi release.

Just in case, here's a few helpful links to get you started:

iTunes Link: [app=virtual villagers - a new home]Virtual Villagers - A New Home (Vivendi/Big Fish)[/app]
    iTunes Link: [app=virtual villagers 2: the lost children]Virtual Villagers 2: The Lost Children (LDW)[/app]

LDW Forums on VV1 (iPhone)
    LDW Forums (Main)

11. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Actually, that's not really a fair assessment. There are only two reviews, and the one that actually played the game said it was "fun and thoughtful". The other couldn't get the app to load. They might have liked the game if they could have actually played it. Maybe there was a problem with their device that was preventing it from loading.

12. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I stripped most of the contents just so this reply wouldn't be too long, but thanks for the info. Apparently I didn't 100% do my research either! I find it interesting, though, that LDW saw the game all the way through the Palm and PC versions (it appears there were 3 of those), and then turned the first iPhone version over to Vivendi. I'm sure we'll never know, but I'd be curious as to why they didn't just develop it in-house, especially since they then turned around and picked up the sequel. Curious minds want to know :D

I will say, though, now that I know the first iPhone VV was developed by someone else, I might just check it out to see how it differs from what I remember 4 years ago.

13. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    hmm interesting. I have Virtual Villagers so I'm very curious about this one so thanks for all the info everyone. I might get this but I will do more reading about it.

14. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    I guess it's time some TOFTT agent dropped by. We seriously need a review here

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I really liked the first version and I'm disappointed to find that the sequel is not actually made by the same people. Now I'm not sure if I want to buy it. I hope Touch Arcade will review it soon, before the $1.99 goes away. I'm worried this might be a slapped together port.

16. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Actually Sushi did say he would TOFTT and review once he spent some time playing it. I hope someone else does too. Heck it's only $1.99, I might buy it today.

17. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

The first version from Vivendi was good. I bought it when it's launched and played it to the end in one sit.

I think the first one works better because it's made specifically for iPhone. The UI and everything works great.

This one is just a direct port from the PC version (like Fish Tycoon), which I have played. So, I'm not in hurry to check it out but I'm interested to hear what people think about it.

18. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I will say this much about LDW: having beta tested several games for them in the past on both PocketPC and Palm, unless they've changed their development style, the one thing they don't do is just "slap things together". The game might not feel the same at all as the first one, but I'm sure they put a lot of effort into making this a solid port (I just hope that no one proves me wrong :rolleyes:)

19. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    i have this game on my mac, and i love it. if this is just a port, like fish tycoon was, then it should be pretty good.

20. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    This is sort of interesting. It seems people who liked the Vivendi version, had never played the original LDW releases. And people who have played the originals, did not care for the Vivendi version.

I'm glad to hear this second one is from LDW and it looks more like the full game. But I am concerned over the port. If it was a direct port or if anything was tweaked (buttons, text, etc.) for the iPhone.