iPad Virtual Villagers $0.99

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by davidovich, Oct 22, 2008.

1. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    It just came out. I don't know how to do the "link" thing.

2. fpugirl

fpugirl Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    South Bay CA
  3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
  4. mek

mek Well-Known Member

for those of you who have purchased it, i would be interested in your responses or how well the game is...im undecided on whether or not to get it

thank you

5. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
  6. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a powerbook. It's ridiculously powerful, has a crazy advanced trackpad, but only one mouse button.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm waiting too. I think I'll end up getting it, but I'd like to hear from at least one person who's tried it.

7. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Awww shucks you never told me that you're using a powerbook. Steve Jobs hates buttons. :)

Get it now NotYou, and post your review :)

8. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    It seems a lot of us are waiting this thing out...

I'm hoping a video surfaces soon that shows a comprehensive look at the game. Only 4 jobs scares me, but I'm wanting to know what these minigames are.

9. mek

mek Well-Known Member

well this is awkward

*awkward silence*

10. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    ... :rolleyes:

11. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    one of the mini games is a very very basic looking fishing game. There is a YouTube trailer that's shows most of the game. I'm gonna sleep on whether I should get this

12. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yeah, I've seen the dev's video, which to me amounts to basically nothing.

After a few months of being burned on games over $5, I'm hesitant to the point where I just might spend the money on bills instead. ;)

13. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    First impressions - It's not bad.

Graphics - Reminds me of a Turbo Grafix 16 game

Gameplay - Direct the villagers to perform tasks like researching, building huts, gathering food, becoming parents (You can place one female villager on top of a male villager and see if they're compatible. They then have babies which mature and become workers). The minigames are activated by touching them after you've put them to work (A seperate icon hovers over their heads which you can activate). I've only played one and it wasn't challenging. The overall feel is not bad. You have the option to let time pass as you exit the game, or, you can freeze the game and come back just as you left it. The one thing that really bothers me, and I realize that to most people, it's not a bad idea, is the signal bar at the top of the screen. It serves no purpose. If the time reflected the time on the island, then I'd say it was a good idea. I just can't stand it when that signal bar is there in a game. Moving on, I haven't played for more than thirty minutes, but I'm interested to see how things unfold. I've already found myself needing to maintain my hut and keep track of villagers wandering away from their jobs - Just like real life, I guess. I'm not sure if this is going to just be tedious micromanagement or what, but, at least for now, although a bit childish in nature, it's holding my attention.

14. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Ok I buckled...

I just got it played for about 5 minutes... Graphics are good. when you direct them they mumble (kinda funny) sims esque style. Like the last guy said, seems basic. hoping there is more options and seems a place up north to unlock more parts of the island. I will update tomorrow i'm gonna go play in before i hit bed.

15. MacGyver

MacGyver Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I think I'll wait until the inevitable 50% price drop thats 1-2 weeks away.

16. Just try the pc/mac 60 min demo. I tried it about 2 or 3 months ago or so and it just wasn't for me. Having said that it seems to be popular with quite a few people though.

17. Yes I may wait for the price drop too. I am always dubious with these type of games. There is a fine line between having a fun game and having a game with TOO many things to manage/too many options.
    For example, I liked certain aspects of Theme Park, but for me it got TOO complex and became more of a chore to play rather than a joy.
    Therefore I know complex management sims aren't for me personally. But if I can find one that's more for a casual audience, is fun, and still manages to have lasting appeal, then I will be happy with it.
    If the people who have this game already will tell me if this particular game would suit my needs just fine, then I will be quite happy to pay £5. After all, this would be £25 on the DS.

18. mattygibbard

mattygibbard Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Full Time Employment
    England, UK
    I buy it now and review it, but I'm at work. (No Wi-Fi)

I'll get it on my lunch break, I'll walk to the local pub, it was wireless!

19. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

I really, really like this game. The whole real-time thing is sweet.

20. Could you please give a little more info as to what you like about it? Is it easy to pick up and learn? Is it worth the money in your opinion?
    Thanks.